Inside Linebacker ... IT IS TIME

TheOnlyThing

I thought this was in ILB thread and people are debating Linsley.

So, who are the local draft experts top ILB for the Packers in this draft. Don't count Isaiah Simmons as he'll be long gone IMO and really I guy I'd love to have. If we go that way, we need a guy who can run sideline to sideline and cover. Personally not looking for an inside thumper who comes out in passing situations. Those guys are dinosaurs like FB IMO. 

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

I thought this was in ILB thread and people are debating Linsley.

So, who are the local draft experts top ILB for the Packers in this draft. Don't count Isaiah Simmons as he'll be long gone IMO and really I guy I'd love to have. If we go that way, we need a guy who can run sideline to sideline and cover. Personally not looking for an inside thumper who comes out in passing situations. Those guys are dinosaurs like FB IMO. 

there's a bunch of potential stud ILBs in the draft this year. Taking one at 30 might be a little too rich for my blood, but

Markus Bailey out of Purdue
Patrick Queen has been mocked here a few times.
Akeem Davis-Gaither out of App State is kinda small and reminds me more of a safety.
Kenneth Murray out of Oklahoma is more of a 4-3 fit
I think AG really like Michael Divinity out of LSU

19 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

there's a bunch of potential stud ILBs in the draft this year. Taking one at 30 might be a little too rich for my blood, but

Akeem Davis-Gaither out of App State is kinda small and reminds me more of a safety.

If we land a good DL in free agency, I can really get excited about what Murray could do at ILB.

25 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I’ve seen Troy Dye out of Oregon, Jordyn Brooks out of Texas Tech, Evan Weaver out of Cal ranked high on some boards. Know much about them?

Edited by Lieker

3 minutes ago, Lieker said:

I’ve seen Troy Dye out of Oregon, Jordyn Brooks out of Texas Tech, Evan Weaver out of Cal ranked high on some boards. Know much about them?

I always plug @CalhounLambeau's database. tons of info that I check regularly leading up to the draft

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QbJONz-aRK6WCaSUH4sGS1wAjN_lkg1j7Mrtp1lGJxw/edit#gid=531375460

• Like 2

DRAFT OPTIONS

Simmons - Looks more like a strong safety.  6'4", 230 pounds.  Hopefully the Lions draft him.  Lol. 

Queen - Even smaller at 6'1", 227. 

Kenneth Murray - Looks more the part than the other two.  6'2", 243.  Looks like he's lined up at EDGE some, which was strange.  How often did he do that? 

Dylan Moses - 6'3", 233.  Do NOT like the idea of drafting an Alabama player.  I feel like all Alabama players reach their peak in school. 

David Woodward - 6'2", looks too happy in his picture. 

Zack Baun - 6'3" 233.  They've got him listed as an EDGE, but IDK.  Looks like he might play a couple spots? 

Malik Harrison - Looks a little slow even in his highlights. 

Troy Dye - Are people really calling him an ILB?  Small.  Had to edit this because Calhoun's list puts him at 224, but 224 is a big safety, not an ILB.  Gotta be 240 to play ILB for Pettine.  You gotta be 240 or heavier with 3 arms, one of which is 5 feet long to be able to grab a running back as you're being blocked by an untouched guard, but not many three-armed ILB's available in this draft. 

Man, it's gotta be tough to armchair scout ILBs.  All the highlights of these players are literally them just shooting gaps going unblocked.  Do y'all really watch full game cutups of these players because I ain't got time for that even if I was interested in doing the whole armchair scouting thing. 

Kenneth Murray looks the best from the minimal time I spent looking at them.  I mostly just looked up their ages and their height/weight. 

I really don't want one of those little guys in our scheme.  Like at all.  Not at all.  I'd rather have a slow *** Hightower/Burfict and sacrifice some coverage. 

Free Agent Options

Danny Trevathan  - Man, I thought he was bigger. 
Kyle Van Noy - Why not Van Noy?  I think he's played a combination of EDGE/ILB for the Patriots and might be able to bring some of that "do your job" mentality from New England. 
Patrick Onwuasor - Dude was rated worse than Martinez while playing on a better (I think) front, and he's smaller than Blake.  No. 
Nick Kwiatkoski - Dude is Blake Martinez.  No hell no. 

@AlexGreen#20, @CWood21, @FinneasGage, @Packerraymond, are there any other day one or day two ILBs you like? 

Edited by Outpost31

12 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I'm all for a late round flyer on Tanner Muse.  He's 6'2" 225 right now playing safety.  Ten pounds and he's our nickel backer.

Ditto. He may not even have to put on that weight either. Mark Barron's been playing at that same height-weight ratio for a few years now and has been successful. Let's see how he tests. 

Also, I hate to be harsh but could we forget about Markus Bailey?  We whine about a lack of speed with Martinez and yet some of you keep throwing his name out there when he's two steps slower and coming off a knee injury.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/markus-bailey/OtGYSwyJNA

Image result for michael jordan stop it get some help gif"

"He is a slow-twitch athlete that lacks good explosion and lateral agility for the position. Skill set suggests he is a 2 down LB that will struggle in sub packages and obvious passing situations against elite athletes, although he has been used in this regard. Lacks true schematic versatility and will struggle in an odd front scheme in the NFL. " - per the link above.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

@AlexGreen#20, @CWood21, @FinneasGage, @Packerraymond, are there any other day one or day two ILBs you like? 

Nope.  You've got ~3 guys (Simmons, Murray, and Queen) who are currently projected as top 64 picks.  Dylan Moses returned to Alabama, so he's not draft eligible.  The rest are meh.  If you want to improve LB play, go upgrade your DL.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Nope.  You've got ~3 guys (Simmons, Murray, and Queen) who are currently projected as top 64 picks.  Dylan Moses returned to Alabama, so he's not draft eligible.  The rest are meh.  If you want to improve LB play, go upgrade your DL.

...and do you really want him next year after seeing how he returned to Alabama...

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

DRAFT OPTIONS

Simmons - Looks more like a strong safety.  6'4", 230 pounds.  Hopefully the Lions draft him.  Lol. 

Queen - Even smaller at 6'1", 227. 

Kenneth Murray - Looks more the part than the other two.  6'2", 243.  Looks like he's lined up at EDGE some, which was strange.  How often did he do that? 

Dylan Moses - 6'3", 233.  Do NOT like the idea of drafting an Alabama player.  I feel like all Alabama players reach their peak in school. 

David Woodward - 6'2", looks too happy in his picture. 

Zack Baun - 6'3" 233.  They've got him listed as an EDGE, but IDK.  Looks like he might play a couple spots? 

Malik Harrison - Looks a little slow even in his highlights. 

Troy Dye - Are people really calling him an ILB?  Small.  Had to edit this because Calhoun's list puts him at 224, but 224 is a big safety, not an ILB.  Gotta be 240 to play ILB for Pettine.  You gotta be 240 or heavier with 3 arms, one of which is 5 feet long to be able to grab a running back as you're being blocked by an untouched guard, but not many three-armed ILB's available in this draft. 

Man, it's gotta be tough to armchair scout ILBs.  All the highlights of these players are literally them just shooting gaps going unblocked.  Do y'all really watch full game cutups of these players because I ain't got time for that even if I was interested in doing the whole armchair scouting thing. 

Kenneth Murray looks the best from the minimal time I spent looking at them.  I mostly just looked up their ages and their height/weight. 

I really don't want one of those little guys in our scheme.  Like at all.  Not at all.  I'd rather have a slow *** Hightower/Burfict and sacrifice some coverage. 

Free Agent Options

Danny Trevathan  - Man, I thought he was bigger. 
Kyle Van Noy - Why not Van Noy?  I think he's played a combination of EDGE/ILB for the Patriots and might be able to bring some of that "do your job" mentality from New England. 
Patrick Onwuasor - Dude was rated worse than Martinez while playing on a better (I think) front, and he's smaller than Blake.  No. 
Nick Kwiatkoski - Dude is Blake Martinez.  No hell no. 

ILBs weigh 225 to 230 now. Queen and Simmons are not small. Finding big ones that are athletic enough like Wagner is rare. 

Moses went back to school.

My favorite ILB option in FA is Pierre-Louis.

Evan Weaver is probably the guy I'm watching most to see where he stands athletically.

If we want a thumper for running downs Shaquille Quarterman from Miami or Nate Landman (nicknamed "The Hammer" by his teammates) from Colorado would be a good choice.

Francis Bernard from Utah is interesting, but he'll be 26 years old as a rookie.

EDIT:  Looks like Landman is returning to Colorado for his senior season.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

I'm not a huge fan of Kenneth Murray. Watch his Texas tape. He does have really good range but after that I dont see much. Tackles high, doesn't shed blocks well, wrap up tackler (not that this is bad but Blake is getting ripped for it).

• Like 1