Inside Linebacker ... IT IS TIME

TheOnlyThing

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Always want to use the sideline TV copy for looking at run fits :/

Even on the TV cut you can see the absolutely insane frequency that Martinez was catching a clean offensive lineman. 

Our new starting ILB next year (if there is one) is going to be equally disappointing to fans because it's obvious they think that position is just suppose to run around with their pants on fire and make plays.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

My list right now would probably look like this:

DL

WR/TE

OL

TE/WR

ILB

This is perfect, unless we lose Bulaga.  Then OT need rises for me.  On a related note, Veldheer have a chance to stick on the team next year?  That would be a plus.

On 12/4/2019 at 12:23 PM, CWood21 said:

Despite your preconceived notions about my opinions, the draft isn't the only way to improve the the Packers' roster.  As someone who has asked you MULTIPLE times for such scenarios where you manage to "fix" our issues, I instead get sidestepping.  Find me a SINGLE NFL roster who doesn't have a significant hole on their roster.  You won't find one.  Your gold standard in the Patriots has averaged less than 17 PPG over the last four games.  There's going to be issues on your roster.  That's just the reality that we live in with the salary cap.  All I'm asking is do me a solid and put together a little mock offseason.  Nothing crazy.  Throw some draft picks and some FA contracts out there and let's see where we go from there.

source.mp4

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Our new starting ILB next year (if there is one) is going to be equally disappointing to fans because it's obvious they think that position is just suppose to run around with their pants on fire and make plays.

The very definition of Roquan Smith.  

7 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I was typing up a post like this the other day. I'm not sure there's any LB play AT ALL in the NFL that would suffice for them. Yeah when it's on another team they're all great. Once they played a season here, all pros would still be overrated crap.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spilltray said:

My list right now would probably look like this:

DL

WR/TE

OL

TE/WR

ILB

Are you good with Oren Burks/Goodson/Summers group? 

ILB is tough for me, I don't want to spend resources on it because I think it's a rather inconsequential position if your DL is playing great, but then I see the 3 I listed there and I want to spend all the resources on it.

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Always want to use the sideline TV copy for looking at run fits :/

Even on the TV cut you can see the absolutely insane frequency that Martinez was catching a clean offensive lineman. 

Having an absolutely insane frequency of clean OL in your face can absolutely be a player issue, not just a DL/schematic issue. Especially when said player isn't attacking the LOS on an obvious run read and is letting an offensive lineman attack and latch onto him 3+ yards down the field. I've played ILB all my life, these situations is what makes the difference between a bad/average/great Lber. 

I've said before, I don't think Martinez is a bad player, but he's certainly replaceable. I don't know why GB has struggled to find consistent, good play at the position. Could be because we don't invest much into it? Thinking back. We've drafted Martinez in the 4th, Summers in the 7th, Burks in the 3rd(what a ******* JOKE), Ryan in the 4th, then I think we go all the way back to like 2014 when we started Barrington in the 7th, then Terrell Manning in the 5th. That's the last 6-7 years. Personally, I'd like to invest a little more to try and solidify the position(assuming Martinez is gone after this year.)

3 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Having an absolutely insane frequency of clean OL in your face can absolutely be a player issue, not just a DL/schematic issue. Especially when said player isn't attacking the LOS on an obvious run read and is letting an offensive lineman attack and latch onto him 3+ yards down the field. I've played ILB all my life, these situations is what makes the difference between a bad/average/great Lber. 

I've said before, I don't think Martinez is a bad player, but he's certainly replaceable. I don't know why GB has struggled to find consistent, good play at the position. Could be because we don't invest much into it? Thinking back. We've drafted Martinez in the 4th, Summers in the 7th, Burks in the 3rd(what a ******* JOKE), Ryan in the 4th, then I think we go all the way back to like 2014 when we started Barrington in the 7th, then Terrell Manning in the 5th. That's the last 6-7 years. Personally, I'd like to invest a little more to try and solidify the position(assuming Martinez is gone after this year.)

I don't have the energy to do it, but to evaluate Martinez intelligently one really has to break down the front 7 play in terms of gap assignments.  It is a lot easier to attack downhill if you only have one well defined gap to deal with.  With that, once the run pass read is made, one can attack downhill with reckless abandon and probably be ok.

I contend we used to see this with BJ Raji.  he had a very good first step and in a one gap assignment was significantly disruptive.  However given his body type and the emphasis on passing in the league, Raji had to play a lot of 2 gap assignments which limits the ability to have the flashy play in the backfield. 

Martinez isn't all pro, but he isn't as bad as many on this board make it seem, and replacing him likely doesn't make the defense better.

I don't have an issue with Martinez right now.  Relative to his contract, he's  a very good player.  Taking the contract out of it, he's OK.  Not great, but not a disaster either.

I expect his next contract will pay him more than I think he's worth, but I also think GB views him as a keeper.  I kind of expect him to remain a Packer.

Random thoughts;

I think the funniest thing with this thread, in the last 3 drafts  we’ve invested 2 top 90 picks in adding play making at ILB and completely whiffed (J Jones and Burks).

That doesn’t mean don’t keep trying to improve if necessary, but the narrative that we have ignored the position is wrong.

I think our ilb issue could really be a scouting department and or coaching issue. TT didn’t value the position and Gute coming from the same tree thinks we could just convert college safeties like Dion Jones. 

• Like 2