Inside Linebacker ... IT IS TIME

TheOnlyThing

Three guys I like that should be available somewhere in Round Three or later: 1. Krys Barnes, ILB, UCLA, 6-1, 235, 2. Tuf Borland, ILB, Ohio State, 6-1, 230 (gotta luv a linebacker named Tuf), and 3. Joe Bachie, ILB, Michigan, 6-2, 230 (he may drop lower due to steroid issues). Just sayin'.

On 12/10/2019 at 8:58 PM, TheOnlyThing said:

ZMudUnb.png

Redskins trying to run playside A gap. Clark lined up on the center beats the guy so badly backside A gap that the Center doesn't even try and recover, he just goes straight to Martinez. Clark and Lowry both end up tied up with the Guard. Clark eventually gets off the block and they make the tackle for 7.

TJxhmOm.png

Linebackers read run by reading the Guards. When the LG zone steps left and the RG pulls to the left, you step to the (offense's) left. The problem with the defense is that there are two guys assigned to C gap and none assigned to B gap. Often we ask our Edge Rushers to shoot underneath, but Gary starts out lined up WAY too far outside to attempt that.

x1GpJBq.png

Clark lines up basically head up on the LG and Lowry lines up outside shoulder of the RG. The Center goes right up to Martinez untouched.

9figiax.png

Keke gets reached by the RG. Martinez gets a RT on a killshot path as a result.

dPcDSlj.png

Goodson gets reached by a TE, but Martinez knows better than to go under this block. He needs to concede the 7 yards and go over it rather than risking 15 at the slight chance he'll be able to hold it to 4.

Kzr06zy.png

Martinez makes this tackle for a gain of only 1. Goodson does a helluva job shooting this gap and plugging things up.

6vzOAcv.png

This was a terrible play by Martinez. But that's a really ****ty assignment to give an ILB.

N4f3OLE.png

Everybody's downblocking, including the LT who's lined up for a killshot on Martinez.

GFm9dsW.png

Campbell gets beat in coverage here. Martinez ends up with the PBU. Not the prettiest, but some would argue it should have been a Forced Fumble.

f52b1GA.png

Savage and Jaire both take the deep receiver, Savage needs to come back down to pick this guy up. No way in hell this is on Martinez.

TmknFjW.png

Wasn't a huge fan of this play either, but at some point, this team is going to pay the price for it's choices of playing really young safeties as inside linebackers. When it comes to shooting gaps, they're fine. But when it comes to moving pieces and understanding how their gaps shift and change when various offensive lineman pull, they just don't have it figured it out. We're going to continue to get killed by pulling lineman until Goodson starts playing more or one of the safeties figure this out.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

Having an absolutely insane frequency of clean OL in your face can absolutely be a player issue, not just a DL/schematic issue. Especially when said player isn't attacking the LOS on an obvious run read and is letting an offensive lineman attack and latch onto him 3+ yards down the field. I've played ILB all my life, these situations is what makes the difference between a bad/average/great Lber. 

I've said before, I don't think Martinez is a bad player, but he's certainly replaceable. I don't know why GB has struggled to find consistent, good play at the position. Could be because we don't invest much into it? Thinking back. We've drafted Martinez in the 4th, Summers in the 7th, Burks in the 3rd(what a ******* JOKE), Ryan in the 4th, then I think we go all the way back to like 2014 when we started Barrington in the 7th, then Terrell Manning in the 5th. That's the last 6-7 years. Personally, I'd like to invest a little more to try and solidify the position(assuming Martinez is gone after this year.)

I get your post, but answer me this...

How is Blake Martinez not the very definition of "consistent, good play at the position"?  He's near the top in the league for tackles.  He gets sacks, he wears the communication headset...and....he's always available even when dinged up.  If that isn't consistent and good, then I don't know what is.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I get your post, but answer me this...

How is Blake Martinez not the very definition of "consistent, good play at the position"?  He's near the top in the league for tackles.  He gets sacks, he wears the communication headset...and....he's always available even when dinged up.  If that isn't consistent and good, then I don't know what is.

There's no doubt you're right, however he's not on his rookie deal after this year. I'm not sure I'm paying Blake market value for just being steady. ILB and TE are going to be very interesting this off-season. Bad classes in both FA and draft. OL, WR, DL we should be able to improve. No idea what next year will bring for ILB and TE.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

There's no doubt you're right, however he's not on his rookie deal after this year. I'm not sure I'm paying Blake market value for just being steady. ILB and TE are going to be very interesting this off-season. Bad classes in both FA and draft. OL, WR, DL we should be able to improve. No idea what next year will bring for ILB and TE.

I agree with your post as well.  I still hope that he signs a relatively team friendly deal, but who knows.

What I do know is that for the past 4 years, Blake has been the definition of consistent and good.  He's not great.  But he is very much consistent and good.

Things get pretty muddy with him when you start looking at some of those top ILB contracts.

11 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Blake is a really good dude.

I just wish he had the athleticism, instincts to make the type of plays that would warrant him getting a big new contract.

Goodson gets reached by a Tight End, but we're on Martinez?

You're not getting on Martinez here for this not being a 1 yard gain. You're getting on Martinez here for this not being a 7 yard gain. No excuse for not flowing over the top, but the far greater sin is Goodson.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 3:07 PM, Packerraymond said:

Are you good with Oren Burks/Goodson/Summers group? 

ILB is tough for me, I don't want to spend resources on it because I think it's a rather inconsequential position if your DL is playing great, but then I see the 3 I listed there and I want to spend all the resources on it.

I'm not saying ignore it completely, but I wouldn't be looking to pick one any higher than the 4th round, and any FA I considered would be mid level guys who are going to be relatively cheap. More like Billy Turner at most.

28 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I've always argued against ILB being a throw away position, and I think you could argue it's even more important if Pettine continues to run 1 linebacker looks 99% of the time.

This is why I'm not throwing a remote through my TV if we draft an ILB 24th-ish overall this year.  The position is meaningless in 90% of defenses and merely a luxury position, but if Pettine sticks around you gotta be better than Martinez.  I hate defensive coordinators who don't adapt to their players instead of expecting players to adapt to their scheme. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is why I'm not throwing a remote through my TV if we draft an ILB 24th-ish overall this year.  The position is meaningless in 90% of defenses and merely a luxury position, but if Pettine sticks around you gotta be better than Martinez.  I hate defensive coordinators who don't adapt to their players instead of expecting players to adapt to their scheme. 

Martinez isn't the issue. 2/6 guys in our front 6 at any given time are JAGs. 

When two of your DL are as likely to get combo'd off of as not on any given play, your ILBs are going to look bad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Martinez isn't the issue. 2/6 guys in our front 6 at any given time are JAGs. 

When two of your DL are as likely to get combo'd off of as not on any given play, your ILBs are going to look bad.

Which is exactly why we need to wait a year on ILB unless we really like someone. Even then...

On 12/12/2019 at 9:50 AM, Packerraymond said:

(ILB and TE are) ...Bad classes in both FA and draft....

which is why we will probably be all but forced to sign Blake to a market deal. This is why I didn't like letting Jake Ryan go. Sure, he and Blake were essentially the same player, but even coming off a major injury, Ryan would've given us insurance next year in the event Blake got too pricey. Now our bed is set and I don't think we can expect Burks, Bolton, and/or Summers to make that leap. Goodson is an ok stopgap. He's not a JAG, but he's marginally better and certainly replaceable at the right cost with the right piece.

I'd agree that DL is more the issue than Martinez.  I don't see any new ILB coming in and excelling in this defense when paired with this DL.  Need to upgrade the DL before you can even get a meaningful grade at ILB.  That being said, I don't have much interest in paying Martinez even a market level starting ILB contract.  We already know what he provides when paired with this group, and it isn't especially good.  GB should be able to field someone equally mediocre for far less than what Martinez will likely fetch as a UFA.  Some beat writers seem to think Martinez could land something in the neighborhood of 10M/YR.  I want no part of that.