Would you pull Floyd's option?

WindyCity

I''d rather take a shot on Vic Beasley vs keeping Floyd around...

His production has fallen off, but he has at least that one season of proven pass rushing potential, and I think he could be a a very deadly #2 when he's got Mack opposite of him.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Epyon said:

His production has fallen off, but he has at least that one season of proven pass rushing potential, and I think he could be a a very deadly #2 when he's got Mack opposite of him.

Interesting thought.  

21 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I've started toying with a mock where I traded Floyd and re-signed Kwiatkoski and Trevathan and kicked Kwiatkoski to OLB. Beasley is who I chose to sign as the EDGE to come in on obvious passing downs for Kwiatkoski. I think he could be had rather cheaply and with a 2 year deal could be a low risk high reward potential player.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Beasley has always been really good off stunts rather than straight rushing.  Kind of same deal as Floyd,. 

But at h best he has been better than Floyd at it.  

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Beasley has always been really good off stunts rather than straight rushing.  Kind of same deal as Floyd,. 

But at h best he has been better than Floyd at it.  

That is why I like him with Pagano, and having Mack and Hicks. Pagano will move him around at OLB, and with Hicks and Mack he will likely have opportunities to use his athleticism for clean up sacks more than straight wins.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

That is why I like him with Pagano, and having Mack and Hicks. Pagano will move him around at OLB, and with Hicks and Mack he will likely have opportunities to use his athleticism for clean up sacks more than straight wins.

I like it. Nice outside the box thinkng. 

• Like 1

I think pass rushing is one place where you can find a couple measureables you like and combine it with good coaching to get production. With Floyd being miscast, I can’t see us keeping him around for the price. We should be praying he stays healthy the rest of the way and doesn’t have a freak injury like Roquan. 

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm putting together a mock right now...can anyone give me a valid reason to keep Floyd around at $13.2 million for the upcoming season? Because I am struggling mightily to see why on earth we would instead of just drafting a guy in the 2nd.

Because this would open up another hole. The defense is already good enough to win with as it is and we need to use our very limited draft picks to fix the offense.

I would much rather see Pace go OL/TE/WR/QB with both picks in the 2nd. 

Besides, releasing him outright would just be stupid and he doesn't have much trade value either. Roll with him for another year and see how it goes.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Because this would open up another hole. The defense is already good enough to win with as it is and we need to use our very limited draft picks to fix the offense.

I would much rather see Pace go OL/TE/WR/QB with both picks in the 2nd. 

Besides, releasing him outright would just be stupid and he doesn't have much trade value either. Roll with him for another year and see how it goes.

How many years can we keep saying that?...

Plus to don't you think an extra $13 million in cap space would help to fix that offence?

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

He had his best season with a healthy Mack and Hicks. Which is something he didn't have last year and still ended up with a top defense. 

But I hear ya. Overall, his career has been disappointing and so It's not an easy choice, but we only have 4 options, and out of those 4, only 2 of them are ideal; Trade him, release him, restructure his deal, or keep him.

--His trade value is very low at this point, and even lower when you factor in his 13M contract so finding a taker is going to be as tough as it is. He might yield a late 5th round pick without some sort of packaged deal, and I think his value to THIS team is worth more than that. But then again, I'm not as hard on him as others either. 

--Releasing him outright would just be straight-up stupid. I would much rather Pace cave and take a late 5th, 6th, or 7th round for him before releasing him. At least then we get something for him. 

--Keeping him and restructuring his contract to a team-friendly deal would be the best option in this case. But this has to happen soon before the March 18th deadline. 

Plus to don't you think an extra $13 million in cap space would help to fix that offence?

Looking at the option of using his 13M to help fix the offense is tough and I get your train of thought here. However, the free agency pool is not very good in the positions that we need, imo.

Not only that but I don't think we can afford any top-end FA player even with the additional 13M. The salary cap situation is MUCH worse than any of us projected it to be (I'll start another thread about this tomorrow).

The only realistic top-end FA's that I would absolutely love is; AJ Green, Amari Cooper, Austin Hooper, and Jack Conklin. All of them are going to high-priced to the tune of 17-20 APY for AJ, 15-17 for Cooper, 9-11 for Hooper, and 14-16 for COnklin.

All that said, though, I'm with @The_Romen. I would rather Pace go offense in the 2nd round but I wouldn't be mad at all if he went EDGE in the 4th either. This draft is relatively deep at OL and TE. 

12 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm putting together a mock right now...can anyone give me a valid reason to keep Floyd around at $13.2 million for the upcoming season? Because I am struggling mightily to see why on earth we would instead of just drafting a guy in the 2nd.

With his $13 mil you can re-sign DT and Kwiatkoski. Or one and another off ball OLB to replace Floyd if you need. 

I don't think his trade value is high because he simply isn't worth $13 mil. So I have him as a 4th or a package deal kind if guy. Trade him and a pick to move up and get a guy you really want (that may be unavailable at our top pick)

Or just do a player for player swap. We don't have to "win" the trade by getting a better player, but we could win by filling another hole for cheaper whip allocating the new resources elsewhere. Then draft who you want in the 2nd. 

17 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

1. Ryan Pace's 1st round record sucks and he needs to save face.

2. He is a versatile player who if he was making 8-9 million would be a nice starter.

3. He will be difficult to replace for cheaper, but if you want to spend 13 million you could upgrade.

-Carl Nassib will be cheaper, probably is a better pass rusher, but is not as good a player as Floyd so you would upgrade a little pass rush and downgrade other spots.

17 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would agree with you, if Pace had invested anything behind Floyd and Mack and we had someone on the roster with a pulse.

We would either need to spend a decent chunk of the Floyd savings or it would force our hand in the draft and we would pretty much have to spend a 2nd round pick and pray they are ready.