Would you pull Floyd's option?

WindyCity

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think if they can get RG and TE sorted out in free agency they almost have to go edge early in the draft. It is the only place to get cheap, high upside, pass rush that can be the 3rd guy in the rotation.

I like this idea.  A TE and and pass rusher in the 2nd.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

I like this idea.  A TE and and pass rusher in the 2nd.

I'm looking OT and either an impact WR or TE for offense and either EGDE or CB for defense. 

I'm kicking Massie or Leno inside most likely. I'm not confident they are worth their deals when 2021 hits, so I'm not stunting a young guy's growth over either of them. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm looking OT and either an impact WR or TE for offense and either EGDE or CB for defense. 

I'm kicking Massie or Leno inside most likely. I'm not confident they are worth their deals when 2021 hits, so I'm not stunting a young guy's growth over either of them. 

Leno would be tossed around inside like a child.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm looking at TE and possibly edge rusher with the 2's.  This OT class is so deep you can find a good project in the 4th that could replace either replace Massie or challenge Leno next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Jadeveon Clowney, Shaq Barrett, Matt Judon, Robert Quinn, Yannick Ngakoue, Bud Dupree, Markus Golden, Bruce Irvin, Jason Pierre-Paul.

Only one I disagree with.

Everyone listed is going to get Floyd money on a long term and significant guaranteed deal. Maybe JPP comes cheaper because of all the injuries.

I don’t mind giving Floyd money to a guy who deserves Floyd level pay. 

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I can't post a link because of the rules of the forum and also out of respect for the company's policy (plus you wouldn't be able to see it yourself anyhow). But I can put together a quick video showing all of his sacks throughout his career in all-22 just to show you. Not gonna do it tonight because it's too late and I'm working but I can do it tomorrow if I get a chance. It's been going on for years, this isn't just some made-up myth...

He is not a consistent pass rusher. He is an okay run stopper but bad in coverage. <<<Your paying 13-15M for this over Floyd's 13M (who already knows the system)??? I can't get behind that. 

I’d be interested to see a video for sure. 

The Athletic posted their top 100 FAs and had Golden 69th overall. They noted that Golden produced a sack or QB hit on 8.3% of his pass rush snaps which was 18th among 172 qualifiers. Gimme that opposite Mack. Floyd gives us very little of consequence off the edge. 

The “Floyd already knows the system” thing totally misses me. 90% of playing 3-4 EDGE is going to be fundamentally the same anywhere he goes, and like I said before I want my EDGE players to be pass rushers first and am comparatively unconcerned with how well they cover TEs and RBs. I very much value speeding up the clock in the QB’s head over coverage ability when it comes to my pass rushers, though I know my philosophy on that isn’t the same as everyone’s. 

As to Golden’s potential salary I don’t think he’s going to totally break the bank per se. I think he’s far more likely to get a Preston Smith deal ($13M AAV) than a Z’Darius Smith deal ($16.5M AAV) and maybe even a little less given what else is also likely to hit the market, but in either case the 2020 cap cost is almost certain to be significantly less than that of Floyd’s. I expect the cap to go WAY up in 2021 and that we will have some other big contracts coming off the books to offset some of the future cost in a multi-year deal anyway. 

All if this is of course speculative anyway - I don’t expect Pace will pull Floyd’s option even though I think he should which would make all of this moot anyway. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’d be interested to see a video for sure. 

The Athletic posted their top 100 FAs and had Golden 69th overall. They noted that Golden produced a sack or QB hit on 8.3% of his pass rush snaps which was 18th among 172 qualifiers. Gimme that opposite Mack. Floyd gives us very little of consequence off the edge. 

The “Floyd already knows the system” thing totally misses me. 90% of playing 3-4 EDGE is going to be fundamentally the same anywhere he goes, and like I said before I want my EDGE players to be pass rushers first and am comparatively unconcerned with how well they cover TEs and RBs. I very much value speeding up the clock in the QB’s head over coverage ability when it comes to my pass rushers, though I know my philosophy on that isn’t the same as everyone’s. 

As to Golden’s potential salary I don’t think he’s going to totally break the bank per se. I think he’s far more likely to get a Preston Smith deal ($13M AAV) than a Z’Darius Smith deal ($16.5M AAV) and maybe even a little less given what else is also likely to hit the market, but in either case the 2020 cap cost is almost certain to be significantly less than that of Floyd’s. I expect the cap to go WAY up in 2021 and that we will have some other big contracts coming off the books to offset some of the future cost in a multi-year deal anyway. 

All if this is of course speculative anyway - I don’t expect Pace will pull Floyd’s option even though I think he should which would make all of this moot anyway. 

Pace does suck.

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Leno would be tossed around inside like a child.

So he gets abused where he isnt on the QBs total blindside? 

Win.

✌

8 hours ago, GBHalas said:

I'm looking at TE and possibly edge rusher with the 2's.  This OT class is so deep you can find a good project in the 4th that could replace either replace Massie or challenge Leno next year. 

I get that but I want to have 2 swings at OL. In the best scenario you get two future starting OTs. In a great scenario you get a starting OT and OG. I'd expect to at least one starter on the OL and one step up in depth. 

Depth to many means waiting and snatching what is left, so getting value overall. To me it means trying to take advantage of that by double dipping and making a drastic improvement, I want dominance. I believe you get the best chance at that by "abusing" strengths of draft classes.  

Edited by Sugashane
spelling derp
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, GBHalas said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab a couple of linemen and maybe a couple of tight ends.  Regardless on whether you like or dislike Trubisky fixing the line should be the number one concern for this offense.

I think simply signing best FA OT largely would go a long way to fixing the line.  Guys can be plugged into guard spots.  OTs are hard to find.

Last year 4 of the 5 starters basically had their worst years and Massie didn't play well.  The TEs were a replacement player that overachieved and an undersized (but talented) UDFA who is much more of WR than a TE, but is learning.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think simply signing best FA OT largely would go a long way to fixing the line.  Guys can be plugged into guard spots.  OTs are hard to find.

Last year 4 of the 5 starters basically had their worst years and Massie didn't play well.  The TEs were a replacement player that overachieved and an undersized (but talented) UDFA who is much more of WR than a TE, but is learning.

They cannot afford to invest 12-15 million at OT. They already have 18 million at the position.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

They cannot afford to invest 12-15 million at OT. They already have 18 million at the position.

I don't care.  I don't look at it as OT.   I look at it as 5 OL and OTs are the more talented players generally speaking.  And the line needs an infusion of upgraded talent to add to mix.  

Find the 5 best guys.  Right now they have 2 talented guys (Daniels who played like garbage last year and Whitehair who played just average) and 2 average at best guys (Massie and Leno) who played pretty bad last year and one fairly talented unknown in Bars.

Bring in Conklin and the rising tide or domino effect will lift all ships.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I don't care.  I don't look at it as OT.   I look at it as 5 OL and OTs are the more talented players generally speaking.  And the line needs an infusion of upgraded talent to add to mix.  

Find the 5 best guys.  Right now they have 2 talented guys (Daniels who played like garbage last year and Whitehair who played just average) and 2 average at best guys (Massie and Leno) who played pretty bad last year and one fairly talented unknown in Bars.

Bring in Conklin and the rising tide or domino effect will lift all ships.

It sure seems the fan base is far higher on Bars than the team. He couldn’t even get reps at the end of a lost season over an established JAG in Larsen. If he wasn’t a ND grad I’m not sure anyone would look at him any more favorably than they did Jordan Morgan.