XFL blocks Lions from pursuing QB Josh Johnson

RaidersAreOne

23 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Lions want to sign Josh Johnson. Josh Johnson can't be signed. 

If only there was another mobile QB out there who hasn't played much NFL football for quite some time, but wanted back in the league... 

If only... 

Tim Tebow has already shown he doesn’t belong in the league 

11 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Probably because he already signed a contract with the XFL, so they hold his rights I'd assume. Also, I believe the XFL blocked this because they're really trying to be viable and not a comic show like their first go around. Vinnie-Mac wants this to be legitimate and not some NFL minor league system. He doesn't want to devalue his brand. I can understand it. Sucks for Johnson, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

This is a red flag to anyone thinking of signing with the XFL. They will control your rights so if your a borderline NFL talent you’re working against yourself signing here. The only way you should sign with the XFL is if you suck and have no value to add to an NFL roster. Perfect landing spot for CK7 if he is interested in playing football. 

On 11/25/2019 at 11:59 AM, HoboRocket said:

Just a separate XFL forum in general.

On 11/25/2019 at 12:14 PM, ET80 said:

Let's see if it lasts longer than a season before we make that sort of commitment.

On 11/25/2019 at 12:23 PM, DoleINGout said:

This is about football's future, ET.

We probably shouldn’t even have a topic then. We all know this is going to crash and burn just like it has so many times before. World League was a better idea and it didn’t succeed. 

On 11/25/2019 at 2:43 PM, wcblack34 said:

Lions want to sign Josh Johnson. Josh Johnson can't be signed. 

If only there was another mobile QB out there who hasn't played much NFL football for quite some time, but wanted back in the league... 

If only... 

Lions had interest in signing QB Colin Kaepernick but Colin Kaepernick blocked them, per source. 

3 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

This is a red flag to anyone thinking of signing with the XFL. They will control your rights so if your a borderline NFL talent you’re working against yourself signing here. The only way you should sign with the XFL is if you suck and have no value to add to an NFL roster. Perfect landing spot for CK7 if he is interested in playing football. 

I don't see it as a red flag though. They should control your rights. Do you see the NFL allowing the XFL to poach their bench warming 3rd string and practice squad QB's? Of course not. Even though the XFL isn't in the same stratosphere as the NFL, the same rules still apply on talent. You're a contracted player until you aren't. 

48 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

I don't see it as a red flag though. They should control your rights. Do you see the NFL allowing the XFL to poach their bench warming 3rd string and practice squad QB's? Of course not. Even though the XFL isn't in the same stratosphere as the NFL, the same rules still apply on talent. You're a contracted player until you aren't. 

Just saying if I have better then a 1:5 chance of an NFL team bringing me in for practice squad money of 300k that’s going to trump the 50k the XFL offers. 

On 11/26/2019 at 9:22 PM, Boltstrikes said:

Just saying if I have better then a 1:5 chance of an NFL team bringing me in for practice squad money of 300k that’s going to trump the 50k the XFL offers. 

Yeah but in the XFL, they tier the contracts, so if you play well enough and the team wants you enough, within a while (hypothetically), they would use their first tier on you, which would land you with 700k per annum.

Which is about the amount that top CFL players make. Not to mention, if the XFL becomes more and more successful, revenue increases and eventually more people are making more. 

Edited by Drained

On 11/26/2019 at 8:33 PM, RavensfanRD said:

It isn't a red flag, you're right, the XFL isnt minor league football, its trying to be an alternative professional league people can watch that obviously isn't going to have the same talent but will be fun to watch, so like the CFL to people desperate for a little bit of football (even if its different.) If leagues like the CFL can block them from leaving automatically to join the NFL, the XFL should too, its like a baseball player from Japan just leaving their league and signing with some MLB team, you can't do that, you have to bide your time, show how good you are, THEN you should go higher up, it's better for the sport overall, it'll help these leagues last longer especially if they aren't competing with the NFL.