XFL blocks Lions from pursuing QB Josh Johnson

RaidersAreOne

35 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

He’d probably make more in one week with the Lions than he would for a full season in the XFL.

Heard the XFL is paying out roughly half a mil for the QBs so I'm not sure your statement is true...

However, other positions make 27k guaranteed and 55k average, and so for those guys yeah, one week probably does make more sense.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

He’d probably make more in one week with the Lions than he would for a full season in the XFL.

Oh, I know, but if he actually wants to actually play, then he's okay being in the XFL...he has made over $7M in his various stints in the NFL.  

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How many former NFL players are going to sign with the XFL knowing that league can block them from joining the NFL? IMO the entire idea of the XFL is basically so that you can play while "trying out" indirectly each week for the NFL.

It's more of to develop players for the NFL. You start the season on a team, you commit to that team for the season. It gives players a chance to showcase their talent over the course of a season and learn football, which is why most of the guys in the XFL that you see (aside from like Nelson Spruce) are either has-beens that are trying to remind the league of their ability (Matt McGloin, Terrance Williams, Marquette King, Josh Johnson) or raw, athletic prospects that have all the tools, but need to refine their game (Tyree Jackson, Jalen Myrick, Cardale Jones) as well as a couple players that have shown teams a taste of their ability in the NFL, but sadly weren't signed to an active roster this year, possibly due to a lack of film to justify paying them the money that they would want (Eli Rogers, Marcus Murphy, Chase Litton).

• Like 2

Like the NFL wouldn't do the same?  Yeah...the situation would never go the other way, but with how petty the NFL is, I say good on the XFL.   Let's be real...the NFL is going to do everything they can to throw a wrench/shade at the XFL going forward.  Might as well cut to the chase and clear that fog up now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

Like the NFL wouldn't do the same?  Yeah...the situation would never go the other way, but with how petty the NFL is, I say good on the XFL.   Let's be real...the NFL is going to do everything they can to throw a wrench/shade at the XFL going forward.  Might as well cut to the chase and clear that fog up now. 

It's not about being petty. It's about fringe NFL roster players being less likely to sign with the XFL 

3 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

I can't tell if people are just trolling or really think this. And that makes me sad.

Not sure if you're trolling now, but I would think the guy who has more than eight career starts, better completion percentage, and better TD:INT ratio would be considered the superior option. Now, whether he's good in the absolute sense? That's a different question. But better than Josh Johnson? Is that really debatable? Really?

• Like 4