Bill O'Brien or Jason Garrett

Texansfan713

Who is the best HC in Texas?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best HC in Texas?

• Bill O'Brien
    • Jason Garrett

38 minutes ago, raidersedge said:

Don't be surprised if Garrett lands another head coach job and finds great success. When you work for Jerry, you know things are done his way. BOB in Houston pretty much runs the whole thing his way.

Only way Jason has success is if he finds a time machine and travels back to the early-90s. 

4 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

Only way Jason has success is if he finds a time machine and travels back to the early-90s. 

If he does that, maybe he takes out Troy Aikman's legs with a crowbar and his young self becomes the starting QB.

Due to the butterfly effect, he never becomes the Dallas HC

• Like 2

The two coaches that keep doing just enough to not get fired, are not good HCs, and have Championship level rosters. Actually a good comparison.

Personally I’ll tale BoB. Better offensive mind and scheme. Garrett is like an extremely poor mans Mike Tomlin. He’s not a good x’s and o’s guy and more of a HC Leader type of role, although he is pretty average at even that...

• 2 weeks later...

Bill O’Brien is better in my opinion, but I’m not a fan of either coach.

People will point to O’Brien’s success with bad QBs, but his true talent in those years was beating up on a bad division. They would regularly rack up 5 or 6 wins in the division and end up with 9 wins. 

• Like 1

For the Jaguars roster, i'd probably take Garrett tbh.  He just seems better equipped to recognize strengths and get wins to make it out of a weak division to the playoffs.  Only real hesitation, is that he's had some elite OLines, and still not really won anything important.  While BOB has had a lot of putrid OLines and also not won anything.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:11 AM, Tugboat said:

For the Jaguars roster, i'd probably take Garrett tbh.  He just seems better equipped to recognize strengths and get wins to make it out of a weak division to the playoffs.  Only real hesitation, is that he's had some elite OLines, and still not really won anything important.  While BOB has had a lot of putrid OLines and also not won anything.

funny thing is o brien inherited a good OL made by smith and kubiak and he managed to ruin it.

On 12/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, Texansfan713 said:

funny thing is o brien inherited a good OL made by smith and kubiak and he managed to ruin it.

I'm not one to really defend BOB, but let me defend him here - he didn't ruin that OL, it was a time bomb that went off on him. The Duane Brown trade had nothing to do with BOB, that was simply Brown beefing with Rick Smith (and Bob McNair, who had some racist overtones that Brown wasn't going to tolerate). Team that up with Chris Myers retiring pretty much as soon as BOB got there and you'll have a significant regression. I would probably put Brandon Brooks on Rick Smith moreso than BOB, too.

Granted - he didn't help the situation with busts such as Xavier Sua Filo, Julie'n Davenport, Jeff Allen or Seantrell Henderson getting starter snaps, but this mess started once Brown demanded his trade to Seattle - which had moreso to do with money and McNair's "prisoners running the prison" comment.

Maybe a better question: if you could choose between O'Brien,  Garrett, or a randomly selected NFL head coach from the past 3 years, which would you take? I'd lean toward the random selection, because I think Garrett and O'Brien are both well below average at turning talent into wins.

• Like 1