Tanny "King of the" Hill- Should he be the future?

KingTitan

Thanks for making this thread KT. I believe that he has earned the right to be the Franchise QB. Especially if he beats the Colts this Sunday in Indy there should be no further argument. I just believe in the guy. It's not a conventional path to finding a Franchise QB, but the "Franchise" QB looks different for every team. He's the right guy for our team, and what our offense wants to be. Honestly, I don't see why he can't play for another decade if he wants to. He's not a big time scrambler QB, but obviously can be when he needs to be. His game isn't predicated on scrambling. He wins from the pocket most of the time. Plus he got a year or two "off" from playing due to injuries early in the season in Miami, so I'm not really worried about this "he's too old to be our long term answer." If anything he's just hitting his prime as a QB, and I'm ready to make some history with Tanny!

Plus on a non football related note... I just really like him as a person. He seems like a good dude, and it's actually kind of nice to have a QB that has social media for a change. Following him on socials and seeing him with his family and everything just makes me root for him even more. I'm a sucker for a good comeback story, and it'd be awesome if he ultimately has that with us.

Certainly trending that way. Let’s see how he does against a deaths row of 5 playoff contenders consecutively to end the season. 

I’m curious to see what will happen if say he finishes 3-2 and we miss the playoffs. His overall record would be 7-3, was the clear catalyst in turning the season around, and if was given the job to start the season we probably would have made the playoffs.

He’s definitely done himself plenty of favors so far, but 5 games is still a very small body of work. I said back in July/August that I wouldn’t be surprised if Tannehill finishes the season as a starter, but I still want to see it in full. By that point we’ll have a 10 game sample (hopefully more if we make the playoffs) and can make a more accurate judgement. 

But so far there’s simply no denying the impact he has had. The offense is night and day between he and Marcus. 

I'm leaning yes for the short term... Meaning 1-2 more years. That can change, not only in the next 5 weeks, but next year as well, if we bring him back. I dint expect to continue putting up the efficiency numbers he's been putting up, but as long as he doesn't fall off the cliff, and keeps his numbers going forward at his peak Miami years, then I'm good with him. 

If he can lead us into the playoffs, and win at least 1 game, then I start looking a little more long term. 

I did find this intersecting... One of the usa today partners (ftw?). The article was focused on fantasy players to pick up down the stretch:

4. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Titans

usatsi_13708810.jpg?w=1000&h=715

Christopher Hanewinckel-USA TODAY Sports

ESPN: 15%. Yahoo! 26%.

He’s the rare case of a bad real-life quarterback being a good fantasy quarterback. (Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston is another obvious example.) Tannehill has averaged almost 24 points per game over the last for weeks. That has made him QB4 during that span. He had his best performance in Week 12 with 259 passing yards, two passing touchdowns and two rushing touchdowns.

Edit: they also had Brown as their #2 player, also saying this (RT related) :

He finished with four catches for 135 yards and a touchdown. With a merely competent quarterback, Brown can clearly be a star. Marcus Mariota wasn’t putting together enough passing production for Brown to thrive. But Tannehill — and I can’t believe I’m writing this — has been crucial in making Brown a playable option in fantasy football. He’s still a risk, but it’s clear he’s a big play threat that the Titans want to feed.

Edited by ragevsuall17

I don't know how inconsistent he was in Miami. Obviously, I don't watch them like I do the Titans, none of us do, but he had good numbers his first 4 years there. He's wasn't a next level QB that is gonna carry a bad Miami team, he still isn't, but he wasn't exactly an easy bust either.

That said, I i still don't want him getting 30 million based of a 10 game audition.

Edited by TitanSS

30M?!

Even talking about 20M AAV with him scares me. They can get creative with the contract structure, and it shouldn't matter what the total numbers look like as long as they don't commit more than 40M over 2 years (which we can prorate over 3 cap years). But even just typing that makes me... pause. 

The reality though is that if Marcus had done what RT has done the past 5 weeks, I wouldn't think twice about those numbers... And numbers bigger than that, frankly.  He's just somewhat of an unknown commodity to me... I guess... And that's where the concern comes from.

Thankfully we have 5+ games to make a more informed decision. For us at least... But it sounds like the coaching staff were sold on him before the regular season even started. 

He's not getting 30M, that's crazy talk. Foles didn't get close to that, and he had a Super Bowl MVP on his resume. If he matches that accomplishment (hope to God), then by all means break the bank for him, although I still don't think he will demand 30 per year. He'll also be older than Foles was when he signed his contract.