Jump to content
KingTitan

Tanny "King of the" Hill- Should he be the future?

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I think the reason I've come around on RT is that he's doing what I expected out of Mariota. 

If Mariota hada stretch of  5-1 ball with the performances RT had... I'd be looking at a huge extension for Mariota. 

While I'm still a sucker for Mariota's potential, and think he's got the higher ceiling of the 2 (if he can ever put it together), it's not like Tannehill is an unknown commodity. I don't agree with the arguments that say he was given nothing in Miami (when he had Miller, Landry, Parker, Matthews, and Stills together at least 1 season), but I can concede that this is probably the best overall team he's been a part of. Combine that with a fresh start/new team and a new attitude/role acceptance, and maybe we can expect this kind of play going forward (maybe slightly less effecient). 

He's playing so well, he's probably saved Smith's job. That's insane. Smith should probably pay him 10% of his salary going forward. 

I am super worried about committing to RT. He's playing really good ball and is earning a payday....but something about it just makes me nervous

Franchising him just makes more sense to me. Even if it's overpaying for a year, I'd rather do that and watch him prove that he can keep this level of play consistent.

 

Weird spot to be in! This is the best QB play we've had since MM's run in 2016, which was the best we'd had since McNair lol. All we want is good, consistent QB play and when it's staring us in the face...we're wary to commit to it! such is life as a titan fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I am super worried about committing to RT. He's playing really good ball and is earning a payday....but something about it just makes me nervous

Franchising him just makes more sense to me. Even if it's overpaying for a year, I'd rather do that and watch him prove that he can keep this level of play consistent.

 

Weird spot to be in! This is the best QB play we've had since MM's run in 2016, which was the best we'd had since McNair lol. All we want is good, consistent QB play and when it's staring us in the face...we're wary to commit to it! such is life as a titan fan

I get it... Imagine being a Jags fan?! Burned by a big qb contract in back to back years?! Having to carry 15 Min dead money for Bortles 8n addition to what they have Foles... That's damn near 30M for 3 TDs this year. And now that he's been benched, they're forced to keep him another year... It's either pay him another 15M to be on the team (22M cap hit) or cut him with a 34M dead cap hit. 

Using that Foles contract as a baseline/template, we'd be facing a similar situation if things went bad next season. So yeah, it's scary as...!

JRob and Vrabel need to understand this is their qb though... If they give him a huge contract they bypass the young drafted qb opportunity. This is that...its one or the other.... Not one and the other. With Mariota also counting on JRob... he fully adopted him when he gave him every chance, including picking up the 5th year option ... I think both would be gone if we go the Jag way, and lose our window to bad qb choices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I get it... Imagine being a Jags fan?! Burned by a big qb contract in back to back years?! Having to carry 15 Min dead money for Bortles 8n addition to what they have Foles... That's damn near 30M for 3 TDs this year. And now that he's been benched, they're forced to keep him another year... It's either pay him another 15M to be on the team (22M cap hit) or cut him with a 34M dead cap hit. 

Using that Foles contract as a baseline/template, we'd be facing a similar situation if things went bad next season. So yeah, it's scary as...!

JRob and Vrabel need to understand this is their qb though... If they give him a huge contract they bypass the young drafted qb opportunity. This is that...its one or the other.... Not one and the other. With Mariota also counting on JRob... he fully adopted him when he gave him every chance, including picking up the 5th year option ... I think both would be gone if we go the Jag way, and lose our window to bad qb choices. 

I don't see the reason why we'd need to over-commit to RT. Obviously @KingTitan's 'guy of a guy' rumor is just that...a rumor. But Tanny will be 32 next season. How can this realistically be more than a 3 or 4 year deal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I don't see the reason why we'd need to over-commit to RT. Obviously @KingTitan's 'guy of a guy' rumor is just that...a rumor. But Tanny will be 32 next season. How can this realistically be more than a 3 or 4 year deal?

Using Foles' example... It's a 4 year deal, with an out after 2.

That's not overcomitting, imo... But we run the risk, like the Jags are facing now, of not having an out after 1 year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Using Foles' example... It's a 4 year deal, with an out after 2.

That's not overcomitting, imo... But we run the risk, like the Jags are facing now, of not having an out after 1 year. 

I think my POV will remain the same: franchise him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

I am super worried about committing to RT. He's playing really good ball and is earning a payday....but something about it just makes me nervous

it reminds me of mariota's hot streak in 2016. i'm just waiting for it to all come crashing down lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tag will be around 27M (the transition Tage at around 24M).

Or you can give him about 45M in guarantees for 2 years, which if you cut bait afterwards prorates over 3 seasons (3rd year in dead cap money). 

Again, it's all about structure and guarantees. Depending what he does these last 4+weeks, I would want to keep him for more than a tagged year, and continue building the team for a SB run the next 2-3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's playing the best ball of his career, that's for sure. Is it a fluke or is it the change of scenery and a better all round team around him that's gotten and keeping him near this level. But even if he reverts back to his pre injury Dolphins efficiency, he's valuable to this team. 

The biggest concern imo is the recentish injury issues he had his last couple years in Miami. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KingTitan said:

I think part of the beware of Tanny is the stories of games like Vince Young when he help lead us back from an 0-6 start. 

Or when Collins helped us go 13-3. 

If we would have signed them to long term deals based on that span it would have been bad. 

Collins was like 36 years old and VY was never this efficient passing the ball. RT has an actual body of work. He’s never been elite, but he’s been a decent QB pretty much his whole career, and is currently entering the prime of his prime. I don’t think this situation is comparable to either of those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm running the team I look for something like 3 years $63M 35ish guaranteed and an out after year two. Or maybe make the 3rd year a fully guaranteed team option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s funny how how many of us, myself included, thinks that the right change of scenery for Mariota would result in him carving out a career with another team. Like I have no doubt in my mind that he could 

 

Yet the same mindset can’t be shared for RT? Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

It’s funny how how many of us, myself included, thinks that the right change of scenery for Mariota would result in him carving out a career with another team. Like I have no doubt in my mind that he could 

 

Yet the same mindset can’t be shared for RT? Lol

Cause it's being a Titans fan lol 

We can't have nice things. 

Saw a post on Twitter saying we could win the Superbowl and still be like, well what about.......  Lol 

 

I just refuse to believe we are consistent and are a good team right now. Lol 

I'd need a new England type run lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryan Tannehill wasn't exactly Ryan Leaf before becoming a Titan.

In 2013, he completed 60% of his passes, threw for over 3900 yards, and had a 24/17 TD/INT ratio. (Year 2)

In 2014, he completed 66% of his passes, threw for over 4000 yards, and had a 27/12 TD/INT ratio. (Year 3)

In 2015, he completed 62% of his passes, threw for over 4200 yards, and had a 24/12 TD/INT ratio. (Year 4)

He suffered injuries in 2016, 2017, and 2018 which contributed to his drop in play as well as a lot of missed time, and the idea that he wasn't that great of a QB because he never bounced back healthy. I didn't expect him to come in here and play at this level after his final 3 seasons in Miami, however, the three seasons prior to those he was showing a lot of promising signs. 

You're seeing a more efficient player because we're not asking him to throw 37 passes a game like Miami was during that stretch. No young QB in the NFL should be asked to throw nearly 40 passes a game. You're setting them up for failure because it takes a lot of experience to be able to keep up with NFL defenses. Very few QBs are capable of coming into the league and doing this effectively for an extended period of time. Some can (Luck, Mahommes), but most are not going to be able to do so. NFL teams doing that are basically ensure any non-generational player at that position is going to fail.

Edited by TitanSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I get it... Imagine being a Jags fan?! Burned by a big qb contract in back to back years?! Having to carry 15 Min dead money for Bortles 8n addition to what they have Foles... That's damn near 30M for 3 TDs this year. And now that he's been benched, they're forced to keep him another year... It's either pay him another 15M to be on the team (22M cap hit) or cut him with a 34M dead cap hit. 

Using that Foles contract as a baseline/template, we'd be facing a similar situation if things went bad next season. So yeah, it's scary as...!

JRob and Vrabel need to understand this is their qb though... If they give him a huge contract they bypass the young drafted qb opportunity. This is that...its one or the other.... Not one and the other. With Mariota also counting on JRob... he fully adopted him when he gave him every chance, including picking up the 5th year option ... I think both would be gone if we go the Jag way, and lose our window to bad qb choices. 

I don't see any chance Robinson or Vrabel is gone after a year or two just because Tannehill was resigned and didn't live up to the contract. 

I think it would be foolish to get rid of someone who is doing so many things right simply because they haven't managed to do the one that nearly every other team in the NFL is trying to do and failing at as well. 

Jon Robinson isn't without faults, but I don't think he's going anywhere for a long time. In 4 off-seasons with the Titans he's turned over every position on the team, outside of Taylor Lewan and DaQuan Jones, with a starting caliber player that wasn't on the team when he was hired. Even Casey's replacement is looking incredibly strong this early and is already starting to command double teams even with Casey on the field.

With as good as he has been at literally every other position, and as hard as it is for anyone to find a QB, I just don't see any chance that getting rid of Robinson is even on our radar in the next 3 years.

Edited by TitanSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this franchise fires Jon Robinson(barring something like his talent evaluation falling off a cliff obviously) I might go jump off a bridge.

You don't fire someone that can evaluate talent like him. You give him damn near as many chances as it takes to find the right coach(which it might be Vrabel, who knows, so maybe he got it right on the first try).

Finding someone who drafts as well as him is an extremely hard thing to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×