Tanny "King of the" Hill- Should he be the future?

KingTitan

A lot of ifs in my statement re: JRob... 

In 2 years, if they give RT a big contract, and if he doesn't come close to replicating his success from this year, and if we're still hovering around that .500 mark (or worse), and if we're then dealing with cap issues, and losing our core and missing that window... We'll talk then. 

FTR, I'm in favor of extending RT. And to reiterate, eventhough I can't realistically expect him to continue on his current pace, I think he's still a good qb fit for this team if he at least continues his efficiency from his time in a Miami, pre injury.

I'm just saying it doesn't come without risk. 

Edited by ragevsuall17

So thinking about Tanny. 

In his 5th year, he had found a stride with the dolphins and had them in the playoffs, and he injured his knee. 

Came back in 2017 and hurt his knee again missed the year. 

Before that played in all games every year. 

Statistically had two 4,000 yard seasons, one 3900 season and one 3200 season. 

Same draft as Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson. 

The same age. 31. 

If Wilson or luck were Free agents would you feel hesitant to sign them to a 6-7 year deal?

Now the level of play isn't matching what those two did ( or is it? Lol)

But age shouldn't be a factor for him. If the team believes in him then let's roll with Tanny. 

The injury thing isn't as big as it gets tossed round. He was an iron Man for years until a knee injury and maybe coming back too soon.

A shoulder injury last year around him of six games and a team went downhill

Played decent as one can on a Dolphins team trending down last year with a then fired Head coach. 

Just think there are some factors that can play a part into the perception of Ryan Tannehill and I am guilty of believing those perceptions to be true, making him seem like a worse quarterback than you maybe was

6 minutes ago, SARGO127 said:

Not sure how I feel

Kinda in the same boat.

On one hand, do we really want to give him a longterm contract off of 6 games (6 games of borderline elite play I should point out). On the other hand, is there really a realistic better option out there via the draft or free agency, especially with how well Tannehill has played at this point.

I guess I just have to see how the numbers look and how the rest of this season plays out for ole Tanny.

32 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Kinda in the same boat.

On one hand, do we really want to give him a longterm contract off of 6 games (6 games of borderline elite play I should point out). On the other hand, is there really a realistic better option out there via the draft or free agency, especially with how well Tannehill has played at this point.

I guess I just have to see how the numbers look and how the rest of this season plays out for ole Tanny.

I think they are looking at his previous years of average to slightly above average play in Miami and also this year's play. 

If not Tanny, then what do you have?

Brady? Newton? 

Roll with Eason, Herbert, Jordan Love?

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Way too soon to even be discussing a deal. Let the season play out first.

This is where I’m at. Kinda surprised if this is true and JRob is blowing his load this early 

we have four massive games coming up where RT needs to show up big time. Let’s see how the season finishes before we offer him a deal. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t resign him, but let the season play out first 

8 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

This is where I’m at. Kinda surprised if this is true and JRob is blowing his load this early 

we have four massive games coming up where RT needs to show up big time. Let’s see how the season finishes before we offer him a deal. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t resign him, but let the season play out first 

They’re discussing it internally not yet with Tannehill and his agent. According to Schefters article on Henry, “Tennessee does not do contract extensions in-season with players”

Yeah nothing will happen until after the season, but I don't think we should expect anything other than a contract.

It's not as scary as people think depending on how the guarantees are structured, as others have mentioned. We'll have an out, it just won't be in year 1.

It's not like this is a 4 game run. We're going to have a 10 game sample size (or more, fingers crossed).

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

He can't be this good can he?

I mean that's like elite level of good. 

He just can't be that good. Lol. I refuse to believe it. 

No, he's not THAT good. Aaron Rodgers isn't that good, Patrick Mahomes isn't that good, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, etc, etc aren't/weren't that good.

The thing with those QBs though is when their stretch of absurd games stopped(Rodgers is the only other guy in NFL history to have a stretch like Tannehill has had the last 3 games), their "regressing to the mean" was still them being an elite QB. The question for Tannehill is when he does come down from this mountain, is he back to being an average to above average like he was in Miami, or is his "mean" great to elite?