Tanny "King of the" Hill- Should he be the future?

KingTitan

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

I would bring him back on a 2 year deal but I’m wondering if he can get 3 or even 4 from someone.

Again it’s not about the years that’s going to matter it’s about the dollar amount the guaranteed money. Let’s say we signed Tanny to a 4yr 100 mill, with 45 mill guaranteed that’s more than likely really a 2 year deal depending on how much money you front load in the 1st 2 years. 

10 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

If the offense keeps averaging 29 ppg over the final stretch there's a 0% chance Smith gets replaced, even if he should be.

Crazy that RT has saved his job to this point. It also helps if the reported disagreement between the staff and FO is true... Smith can say we knew MM wasn't the answer and now we're showing what we can do with our QB even if he didn't get the starter reps in the offseason. Wait till he gets an offseason as the man...or so he'll say. 

It sucks because we're seeing some of the same issues, but no doubt RT is a better fit. But maybe it also gives Smith a chance to grow after taking his lumps early on. Maybe we see significant growth his second season...? 

Even the oline is playing better the past couple of weeks. Davis didn't look horrible Sunday. Saffold still looks lost a bit out there, missed a few blocks that could sprung Henry for bigger gains, but it appears the line is finally gelling a bit. 

Crazy what a 4-1 streak while scoring 30 ppg will do... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Crazy that RT has saved his job to this point. It also helps if the reported disagreement between the staff and FO is true... Smith can say we knew MM wasn't the answer and now we're showing what we can do with our QB even if he didn't get the starter reps in the offseason. Wait till he gets an offseason as the man...or so he'll say. 

It sucks because we're seeing some of the same issues, but no doubt RT is a better fit. But maybe it also gives Smith a chance to grow after taking his lumps early on. Maybe we see significant growth his second season...? 

Even the oline is playing better the past couple of weeks. Davis didn't look horrible Sunday. Saffold still looks lost a bit out there, missed a few blocks that could sprung Henry for bigger gains, but it appears the line is finally gelling a bit. 

Crazy what a 4-1 streak while scoring 30 ppg will do... 

With as much griping as so many of us have done about Art it feels like he's starting to get the hang of things the last few weeks. The last two games in particular I've felt like he's called his best games. I get that we're in an instant gratification type of culture and the NFL in general is a "what have you done for me lately" business, but it's possible that a brand new OC that has never called plays before took a little while to get acclimated into doing it. Our offense has been successful enough to put us back into the playoff picture after we looked bound for a top 10 draft pick early in the season, and I don't care what any Twitter cut ups say, that's a success in my book. It feels like Art starting to get into a rhythm as a playcaller, and hopefully it continues this week. This Colts game is going be a big test for him.

9 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The biggest aspect to the OC situation might be Jon Robinson.

I highly doubt he spent the 5th overall pick on Corey Davis, a 2nd round pick on AJ Brown, and spent a decent sized contract on Adam Humphries to see how dreadfully low their targets are.

THANK YOU 

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

The biggest aspect to the OC situation might be Jon Robinson.

I highly doubt he spent the 5th overall pick on Corey Davis, a 2nd round pick on AJ Brown, and spent a decent sized contract on Adam Humphries to see how dreadfully low their targets are.

eh, who knows. football guys can be dumb as hell.

having said that, if we continue to look good on offense the rest of the year (and it’s a big if- i’m still waiting for our offense to come crashing back down to earth) i wonder if he wouldn’t bring in a gruden type as a consultant or something.

Some interesting tidbits:

It probably helps, too, that Dye and Robinson have worked with each other a number of times over the years, including last March when the Titans and Tannehill renegotiated his contract to facilitate the trade from Miami to Tennessee. Dye said Robinson wanted a two-year deal for Tannehill at the time, but the Tannehill camp opted for one instead, not wanting to take the chance of potentially sitting on the bench — and making backup money — behind Marcus Mariota for two seasons.

“But at the time, I said, ‘Jon, you know me, and I think that you trust me. If (Tannehill) comes in here and does what I think he could do, you’ll have every chance to keep him,’” Dye said. “I said, ‘You’ve got to be competitive, and you’ve got to be fair and reasonable.’ But (Tannehill) is not a guy who’s going to come in here, light it up and then look for the next great thing. They love Nashville, they love the team and they love the organization. It’s been fun for them.”

• Like 1

Tannehill has already earned mad props with his production so far in his first 5 games as a starter, and I'm all on board with re-signing him already.  He still has a ways to go, but if he continues to put up these numbers and move this offense like it should, I say pay the man.  Why let him leave?  He's already found his next team, and we found our immediate QB fix, while we now have time to groom a next future QB.  Miami didn't have anything worth working with while he was there, whereas we're loaded with weapons, and he's making the most of them week after week.  Tannehill and the Titans could turn out to be a match made in Heaven...or in Nashville.

Edited by Dionysus
  • Like 1

Really, really good article from Bucky Brooks that perfectly sums up what RT has been able to do here and how his performance has taken our O to a next level. Also shows that MM8 was holding us back in terms of WHAT we wanted to do offensively.

It's really worth the read here, but fave part below: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001081837/article/ryan-tannehills-star-turn-ravens-retro-attack-browns-rebirth

When I played for the Green Bay Packers, then-general manager Ron Wolf once told me he learned from Al Davis that wise executives should always bring in discarded first-round picks for a trial run to see if they would benefit from a change of scenery. He told me that guys selected in the first round generally had A-level talent, and sometimes it took a different voice (in terms of coaching), scheme or overall environment (in terms of the locker room) to help them find their way as players.

Tannehill has certainly taken to Tennessee, where he's playing in a power-based scheme that better suits his talents as a dual-threat playmaker. The Titans' coaches appear to have a solid grasp on his strengths and weaknesses as an athletic, quick-rhythm passer with B-plus arm strength, using an assortment of quicks and intermediate rhythm throws from shotgun formations to complement traditional play-action and movement-based passes from run-heavy sets. With Tannehill showing tremendous confidence in those aspects, the ball has come out in a hurry, and the opposing pass rush hasn't been a factor.

Additionally, Tannehill has been more willing to throw the ball outside to his wide receivers instead of force-feeding the tight ends over the middle. This subtle change has stretched defenses horizontally and given defensive coordinators more to think about when preparing for the Titans' aerial attack.

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

I think part of the beware of Tanny is the stories of games like Vince Young when he help lead us back from an 0-6 start. 

Or when Collins helped us go 13-3. 

If we would have signed them to long term deals based on that span it would have been bad. 

I think the difference is how well he’s playing though. I don’t think it’s sustainable but even if we see some drop off he’ll be a hell of a lot better than either of those two guys

I think the reason I've come around on RT is that he's doing what I expected out of Mariota. 

If Mariota hada stretch of  5-1 ball with the performances RT had... I'd be looking at a huge extension for Mariota. 

While I'm still a sucker for Mariota's potential, and think he's got the higher ceiling of the 2 (if he can ever put it together), it's not like Tannehill is an unknown commodity. I don't agree with the arguments that say he was given nothing in Miami (when he had Miller, Landry, Parker, Matthews, and Stills together at least 1 season), but I can concede that this is probably the best overall team he's been a part of. Combine that with a fresh start/new team and a new attitude/role acceptance, and maybe we can expect this kind of play going forward (maybe slightly less effecient). 

He's playing so well, he's probably saved Smith's job. That's insane. Smith should probably pay him 10% of his salary going forward. 

• Like 1