Week 2 Houston @ Cincinnati GTD

PAtexansFAN23

8 minutes ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I'll take an ugly win any day. Man do we need the upcoming mini-bye week.  I think I can safely drop Dalton as my fantasy backup - I was tempted to start him tonight as I knew his receivers would be wide open - didn't account for Dalton taking accuracy lessons from JT Barrett.  Browns ought to offer to launder his contract for a 2nd round pick too.  Bungles are back.

When you realize we played the Bengals who are terrible you wouldnt say that.  Ugly wins arent beating the Patriots next week or the Titans the week after.  

Watching this offense this year you would think George Godsey is still the OC. I get not wanting to overwhelm Watson, but when the Bengals are just putting 8 in the box over and over again, let the dude throw the ball and stop just running it into the pile. He started to do that in the last FG drive, but they could have been doing that since the second quarter.

We will be 1-4 going into the Browns game. We aren't beating the Pats, Titans or Chiefs. Our hope is to beat the browns. And get to the by at 2-4 and hope we can turn it around late when guys are healthy. 

BOB really screwed up this entire off season by wasting so much growing that Watson could have done. So much waste. 

W is a W, but there are some bad things going on. The defense looked good up front, but the back end looked horrendous - and that was at full strength. We lose to pretty much any QB other than Dalton. 

I'm excited with Watson. Mobility is better than expected, and his ball placement improved over the course of the game (it was a hot mess early on). He dialed into Hopkins, and you saw them get on the same page in the 4th. (Hopkins can't be bobbling the ball as much as he is, though). All in all - rookie making first start, on the road, in a short week, down several starters. It was a recipe for disaster, but Watson stepped up to the plate.

There's still plenty of season to be played, but there are significant issues that need to be worked on. Whether or not it happens is beyond me, but I feel better tonight than I did on Sunday.

Generally I tune out the stupid post game interview crap, but my God JJ Watt makes me so friggin proud.  Easy to get cynical about these guys, but that guy is an absolutely amazing human being.  First off, he talks about how it's the defense's responsibility to shut teams down and not grumble and complain when the offense goes 3 and out. Says he knows Watson is going to make mistakes, but the D needs to keep us in games so he can do enough things right to win the game - EXACTLY the right thing to say, but also honest and not player/coachspeak.

But then he got into the recovery effort discussion which I figured was just going to be a bunch of platitudes (circle jerk) and an aww shucks response.  Nope, dude instantly flips into CEO mode and starts detailing his next two days loaded up with meetings with local agencies helping the recovery effort and making sure all $33 million gets used by local agencies who actually have boots on the ground.  This dude is not in this for a photo op or just leveraging his twitter account - he is actively participating in the effort and probably is flip charting plans on the flight home.  Friggin Michael Irvin is sitting there next to him again accused of going on a coke/rape binge while JJ is figuring out how to get cafeteria workers at NRG a place to live when he gets back from a big win.

Quote of the night tho - Eisen asks him about how proud he is of his lil brother's big game and JJ says "screw that, he needs to slow the hell down."  He said he picked up the paper and saw "Watt has historical game" and he says "I played like absolute crap, what the hell are they talking about?"  False humility is almost as annoying to me as narcissism but JJ manages to express both honest humility and confidence that he will again be the greatest player on the planet.  I've been burned too many times to place athletes up on pedestals, but damn if that dude doesn't embody everything I want the star player on MY team to represent.  

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

When you realize we played the Bengals who are terrible you wouldnt say that.  Ugly wins arent beating the Patriots next week or the Titans the week after.  

i'll take ugly wins considering the browns have our picks 

Ok only saw extended highlights. 

An I the only one who noticed after every big completion for Dalton, Kareem was the nearest DB?

Our OL is still a shamble. 

We still can't cover of we don't get pressure.

This Bengals side were very beatable and we squeaked it. 

On 9/13/2017 at 4:54 PM, fluhartz said:

You guys are fine.. you have beat us with a rookie QB before (we make them look good), it's a night game (usually doesn't go well) and I think the Bengals o-line will make any defense look good this year.

Hope I'm wrong and good luck (I don't mean that)

WhoDey!!

that was easy

KJax is normally the culprit on big completions.... although the 1st half big one to Green had JJo, Gilchrist, AND KJax.... JJo came off his man to get there almost with the pick (KJax and Gilchrist looked lost)

OL is just plain bad right now.... if I could get a 5th or 6th round pick for XSF (still possible... maybe), I would do it in a heartbeat and call up Quessenberry (I almost think Rick Smith is forcing OB1 to keep him out there to prove a point).

Clark is NOT Duane Brown, but did better than Lamm. More importantly, he seemed to know when to hold to protect DW and also seemed to do enough to buy time to make throws.

Just my $.02

my thoughts from the game

Watson looks a lot better when we just let him go play. Trying to protect him with conservative play calling is gonna hurt us. We could see it on that final drive last night where we went down the field passing the ball to set up a FG that put us up 4 points. Let the guy go make plays. His QBR from last night was 88.7....thats pretty good. 

The O-Line played much better last night. Sua-Filo is obviously a huge weak link, but I thought the rest of the line was solid for the most part. I would love to see us playing behind: Brown/Mancz/Martin/Allen/Clark......I think that could be a good enough line for us to be a playoff team again. Davenport was decent last night in that 6th lineman role. I think he might be able to develop into our starting RT, maybe even our starting LT at some point. Either way, now is the time to get Brown back. He has enough time to get ready to play week 3, but only if he signs in the next few days.....and only if he has kept himself in close to game shape. 

KJax needs to be a saftey. We should have a 5 man secondary of Bouye/JJoe/Johnson with KJax/Hal at saftey.....we screwed up the Bouye thing, so we probably dont have the CB depth to more KJax over now, but next year that has to be the priority. 

McKinney is a special talent for our D. I would like to see him move to OLB in our traditional 3/4 set and back to ILB for our 4-2-5 sets. play a linebacking group of Mercilus/Cole/Cunningham/McKinney behind a line of Watt/Readier/Clowney. Cole and Cunningham are young and might not be ready for the play calling responsibilities but they have the skill

Archived