Front Office and Coaching Staff News

.Buzz

Watching this HC situation around the league is interesting.

Although I think it's BS, reports said Khan wasn't big on many candidates this off-season and most of the high profile guys outside of Rhule/McCarthy weren't even hired (we'll see what happens with CLE).

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

So we're going to assume a rookie QB who got thrown into the fire with a poor supporting cast outside of Fournette and Chark will be at best what he was last year?

Regardless, I never said we'd make the playoffs. As we sit now we aren't close. But we have an entire FA and draft with two firsts to go to fill holes/add talent. I said we can be competitive and win 8-9 games potentially. 

If you want to sit here on January 7th and feel like the sky is falling for next year/nothing will work out for us then you do you. 

I predicted 7-9 for this past season which was off by a game and that was me thinking Foles would at least miss 4 games.. and thinking Ramsey would play the whole yr. I didn’t think the team was going to be that good because I felt like everyone was putting too much stock in the defense returning to 17’. I felt they’d be avg but I didn’t think they’d put up a historic 5 game stretch of a dismal performance that would have modern football snickering either. Talent wise this roster went from a top 3 In the league roster talent wise to the doldrums. 

When you watch a team like Miami you can see the talent gap from the rest of league. But you also see a well coached team just waiting on pieces go back to SF game in 17 when the Jags played them you can see the talent gap on the field but you can also see the coaching gap too. You can clearly see the Jags had more talent  SF.. SF clearly out coached the Jags while talent deficient and won. Meanwhile currently SF is ascending.. but the Jags are descending 🤷‍♂️. It’s what happens when pieces meet good coaching... versus a coach with a talent pool.. the talent pool is gone now..  Doug better be the wizard.

Edited by DuvalsKing

12 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I predicted 7-9 for this past season which was off by a game and that was me thinking Foles would at least miss 4 games.. and thinking Ramsey would play the whole yr. I didn’t think the team was going to be that good because I felt like everyone was putting too much stock in the defense returning to 17’. I felt they’d be avg but I didn’t think they’d put up a historic 5 game stretch of a dismal performance that would have modern football snickering either. Talent wise this roster went from a top 3 In the league roster talent wise to the doldrums. 

When you watch a team like Miami you can see the talent gap from the rest of league. But you also see a well coached team just waiting on pieces go back to SF game in 17 when the Jags played them you can see the talent gap on the field but you can also see the coaching gap too. You can clearly see the Jags had more talent  SF.. SF clearly out coached the Jags while talent deficient and won. Meanwhile currently SF is ascending.. but the Jags are descending 🤷‍♂️. It’s what happens when pieces meet good coaching... versus a coach with a talent pool.. the talent pool is gone now..  Doug better be the wizard.

Exactly my point.

It's January 7th and a guy who clearly had a large hand in every single part of the organization (which sounds like it was a detrimental to some if not most) was fired and the structure is completely different.

Does that mean it'll get better? No idea. But I'm not going to assume every worst case scenario (Minshew stays the same/gets worse, we don't hit on FA/Draft to help the talent pool increase) be what I think will happen. 

Gardner statistically was right up there with other rookies and went .500, much better than any of the other QBs with just as bad of rosters if not slightly worse for a franchise that was in turmoil because of the EVP. There's plenty of reason to believe/hope Gardner goes on an upward trajectory if we improve weapons/protection around him and don't have a JV squad starting on almost half the defense.

Edit: Also, although I think Foles is cooked, he apparently looked amazing all off-season leading up to the season, broke his collarbone, came back and had no zip on his ball. Idk if he's toast or there was still something there but he clearly didn't look right even with the bad pass pro. We'll see how this off-season goes for him as well.

Edited by .Buzz

12 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Not really tbh. I think fans just wanted a new face truthfully.

Who was really excited about Doug to begin with? Getting a coach is like drafting a lineman you know it’s essential to your teams success if he’s good everybody’s excited about it and if he is trash.. you want him replaced.

Edited by DuvalsKing

22 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Who was really excited about Doug to begin with? Getting a coach is like drafting a lineman you know it’s essential to your teams success if he’s good everybody’s excited about it and if he is trash.. you want him replaced.

I mean, do you remember what it was like when we hired Gus? The fanbase was super hyped.

When Doug was hired most people weren't  just because he was on the staff already and people wanted someone fresh from outside the organization.

On 06/01/2020 at 11:55 AM, .Buzz said:

Doug...

Yes please tbh.  I'd do some Wade Phillips with Yan and Allen off the edges.  That'd be good business.

On 06/01/2020 at 12:41 PM, .Buzz said:

Look at the coaching staff. A lot of these guys were hired with direct ties to Coughlin. They literally hired an OC based on an FA acquisition to rekindle the great play of Foles here. Todd Wash literally sat in on those HC interviews back in 2016-2017 if I remember right.

Doug has his faults 100 percent, but if you think he's been the one making the decisions on most everything a normal HC would have authority on your mistaken, imo. 

If next year is more of the same than of course he will be at fault. From what it sounds like Marrone has just as much personnel power as Dave now. My worry is the cupboards or so damn barren as is and unless we come away with a great FA class and kill it in the draft it's going to be hard to see this team make the playoffs unless an 8-8/9-7 team squeaks in (which imo, is doable for us).

I mean, look around...even Robert Saleh who was a Gus Guy, is among the names being tossed around as a potential HC candidate right now.  Caldwell hasn't actually been that terrible when it comes to coaching hires...even though Gus himself was a big ******* dud.

I think it says something, when your team starts to bleed coaching talent to other organizations, while perennially being awful.  But i don't know if it says that guys like Marrone and Wash are actually bad.  Even Flip...if we're going forward with Minshew...it'd be stupid to change OCs on him, when he's really worked so well in Flips system.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yes please tbh.  I'd do some Wade Phillips with Yan and Allen off the edges.  That'd be good business.

I mean, look around...even Robert Saleh who was a Gus Guy, is among the names being tossed around as a potential HC candidate right now.  Caldwell hasn't actually been that terrible when it comes to coaching hires...even though Gus himself was a big ******* dud.

I think it says something, when your team starts to bleed coaching talent to other organizations, while perennially being awful.  But i don't know if it says that guys like Marrone and Wash are actually bad.  Even Flip...if we're going forward with Minshew...it'd be stupid to change OCs on him, when he's really worked so well in Flips system.

I mean Flip coaches us to one of the worst red zone offenses and although Minshew was one of the best play action QBs in the NFL we were one of the bottom 3 in percentage of use. 

I like Flip overall but in a year where it's do or die I wouldn't be shocked and he didn't do well enough to make me upset/wonder why.