Front Office and Coaching Staff News

.Buzz

6 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

caldwell must have blackmail if thats the case. 

Caldwell has done a decent job but his ultimate failure was not getting us a good OL

He's definitely the one I'd be most fine keeping but I just want it blown up.

He's been here since 2013, it's time.

I'm not advocating for keeping Caldwell and Marrone, but I share the sentiment that 1) it would probably be best to clean house and start fresh for a multitude of reasons but 2) I will not be upset either if Caldwell and Marrone are retained.

Diving into the potential rationale of why they would be retained though is interesting. Marrone is pretty straightforward --- he really didn't get a fair shake from reports, at least in 2019 and probably a chunk of 2018, and the players reportedly are in full support of him. Caldwell is where there's a bit more conjecture, and here's what I'm kind of come to.

The reasoning behind keeping Caldwell would be if Khan 1) attributes a lot of 2017's success as the culmination of Caldwell's efforts + the downfall in 2018 and 2019 as having been in large part due to Coughlin's management of the roster and the relationships within the roster, and 2) if the rumors of the Coughlin drafts are indeed true in that Caldwell wanted in 2017 to either take McCaffrey or trade down and take Mahomes, and in 2018 wanted to take Lamar Jackson. Seeing all three become huge stars quickly, and all three being NFL MVP winners, soon-to-be winners, or at least contenders is a huge indicator that Caldwell can have success in round one which was the huge knock on him in the past and the reason why Coughlin was brought in to be above him in the chain of command. 

This is just speculation and rationalization for why Khan may end up retaining Caldwell, but again, I want to reiterate that I do think we should clean house just based purely on our record results in the past sans 2017 and based on the potential optics and energetic boost from a complete overhaul. But again, I personally won't be up in arms either if we do end up retaining them, though that can change very quickly with another potential dumpster of a year in 2020.

• Like 1

Good stuff here from Breer.

Ownership and overall structure of how football operations may change drastically with or without Caldwell. Also goes into Ngakoue situation and how he never wanted to holdout.

Breer said he expects Tony Khan to definitely take a much larger role.

Edited by .Buzz

12 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Phillips would be interesting Cuz hes a 3-4 but

Campbell-dareus-Bryan

Allen-??-jack-ngakoue. Ngakoue as the true edge rusher and allen can rush and cover

Wed grab a young end and NT I'd guess in the draft as depth. 

Moses is my dream either with LAR 1st or if he falls to our 2nd.

37 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Wed grab a young end and NT I'd guess in the draft as depth. 

Moses is my dream either with LAR 1st or if he falls to our 2nd.

I think smoot can be a de in the scheme cuz ive seen him featured inside some.  Wade Phillips would be a good dc but i think hed retire but Phillips does use 1 scheme but he adjust his scheme to what talents he has to work with.  

I think his 1 gap penetrating style would be ideal for us.  In that scheme he had jay Ratliff who imo was more of a true 3-4 de or UT then a nt based on build of 6 foot 4 300 pounds but he produced alot in the scheme