Mahomes or Jackson

rocky_rams

14 hours ago, VanS said:

Lamar is on pace for roughly 50 total TDs himself this season.  And thus far into their career Mahomes is the one who has missed games due to injury not Lamar.

I'm taking Lamar right now over ANYBODY.

No... No he isn't... he has to get like, 20 td's in the next few games to do that lol. 

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

I have yet to see anything from Jackson as passer that would make me think his arm talent is anywhere near Mahomes.  Most of Jackson's passes are simple slants or over the middle throws opened up by defenses not figuring out how to stop a rushing attack running for over 300 yards a game. When I watch Jackson, its ability to run that stands out, not him as a passer which is basic besides a few side arm 2 yard dumps to a massive TE. 

You missed the last line. I was referring to Tyree Jackson.

25 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Jackson’s on pace for 44 compared to Mahomes’ 52 of last season. 

So roughly equal to Cam 2015.  Cam averaged a few more yards/game passing, and Lamar is averaging more yards/game rushing.

I like Lamar better as both a passer and a rusher, and I think he has a better chance to somewhat sustain his play than the wildly inconsistent Cam.  But still, Cam has never come close to replicating that MVP season.  We'll see if Lamar does.

• Like 1

I see people attempting to add up Jackson's projected totals, but I figure it should be mentioned that his totals are likely skewed a bit as he has had at least 2 or 3 games he left the game early with RG3 getting playing time due to the huge leads the Ravens had. The Ravens also tend to use Ingram quite a bit near the goal line.

Overall the 2019 Ravens and 2018 Chiefs from a points/yards per game perspective are nearly identical. It would be disingenuous to not factor how big of an impact Lamar's threat with his legs opens up the Ravens run game. When comparing how big of an impact both QB's have made for their teams. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I see people attempting to add up Jackson's projected totals, but I figure it should be mentioned that his totals are likely skewed a bit as he has had at least 2 or 3 games he left the game early with RG3 getting playing time due to the huge leads the Ravens had. The Ravens also tend to use Ingram quite a bit near the goal line.

Overall the 2019 Ravens and 2018 Chiefs from a points/yards per game perspective are nearly identical. It would be disingenuous to not factor how big of an impact Lamar's threat with his legs opens up the Ravens run game. When comparing how big of an impact both QB's have made for their teams. 

I mean they seemed to pad his passing stats yesterday with a few gimme td passes after they ran right up the field

5 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I mean they seemed to pad his passing stats yesterday with a few gimme td passes after they ran right up the field

I’ve never heard someone mention 3rd quarter touchdowns against a premier DC, the best defensive player in the game, a top 5 CB in the game, and the rest of their starting defense... as “stat padding”. Very interesting thought process.

6 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Yup. But even then those stats don’t consider that the Ravens offense typically stays on the field longer and has less drives. When you look at the stats per drive... the 2019 Ravens have been far superior to last years Chiefs.

oRhSXnO.jpg

• Like 1

In terms of this question, there was no way I was going for Lamar in this... until I realized just how historically good this offense has been. Then I thought about how he’s 2 years younger than Mahomes so projecting his development an additional two years and I have to wonder where could he be at that point of his development. Now of course Lamar doesn’t have the same arm talent as Mahomes but neither does Drew Brees and Tom Brady and they have been able to last to 40 years old by outworking everyone else and having great accuracy.

Lamar has developed his accuracy every year since his freshman season at Louisville. So I have no reason to believe his accuracy can’t continue to improve. What’s more even once he gets older, I can’t see him being as athletic and fast as Watson or Mahomes are right now. 

Then lastly I considered the fact that Mahomes playing style isn’t necessarily more conducive to staying healthy. He plays very similar to how Aaron Rodgers and Big Ben used to play the game. Extending plays and buying time to the last second before getting crushed. I see Mahomes take probably 2x more big hits in a game than I see Jackson as he runs.

So I’ve got a guy who is younger, a playing style that I believe is more conducive to winning games in January and February, he’s more athletically explosive, and has plenty of potential left to improve.

So with all that said, it’s very close, but my last thing was if I were a defender and I’m playing against either guy, which would I be most afraid of? Probably Lamar Jackson. And so my obvious homer pick is LJ8, but I love them both.

Edited by diamondbull424