Can Goff be fixed?

patriotsheatyan

1 hour ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Cousins in his controversial season last year had 30 touchdowns and 10 interceptions with 4300 yards. Goff is on pace for 4300 yards with 16 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. Cousins completion percentage was 70% and Goff is at 61% right now. 

What happened with Cousins isn’t that unbelievable as it just amounts to a QB going from good to elite numbers. 

Goff on the other hand has gone from elite numbers to near the bottom in efficiency. What’s happened with Goff is way more dramatic.

I know just making the parallel of how much a running game and O-Line helps a QB. Also the biggest difference for Cousins is thanks to not having to carry the whole offense this year is his turnovers are way down but I get ya.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VanS said:

Or he's back to being who he really was all along instead of that temporary mirage.

I thought Goff was a bust before the 2016 draft.  In his rookie year he was exactly what I expected.  I didn't buy into the mirage Sean McVay created the last 2 years.  And now Goff is back to being who he really always was.

when did you meet jared goff? I didnt know you looked into his eyes too?

31 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Goff is looking more and more like a glorified Andy Dalton. He's only as good as his supporting cast.

Remember when most used Goff as an example as to why Rosen should have never been dealt by Arizona?

Sheesh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Goff is looking more and more like a glorified Andy Dalton. He's only as good as his supporting cast.

As are most 24 year old quarterbacks.

Goff can be fixed with average protection and competent play-calling. He doesn't need a pro bowl line, but anything more than a high school equivalent one would work. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, showtime said:

These guys are all overrated and crowned too early.  There's a reason why true greatness is sustained over a period of time, not one or two seasons.  But why isn't this on Goff?  I agree that McVay got exposed in the Superbowl and he should carry a lot weight, but so should Goff.  McVay isn't the one out there who has 0 TD passes in his last couple games with INTs.  Goff is the one out there throwing the football.

He literally threw them down to the goal line against the bears 2 times.

McVay decided to run it in, instead of padding his QBs stats with a TD.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danand said:

Great oline and ability to run to set up the pass

Bad oline and no ability to run to set up the pass

That little difference is what happens almost very single time an offense struggles. There are very few QB's who can work well without an above average oline, and who operates well outside of structure. Goff isn't one of them. He is a system QB who can be very good in that system.

If GM's where as keen on constantly making boring draft picks and FA aquisitions as they are bringing in "playmakers", we would see less bad olines. (although there is only so much oline talent to go around)

The bills did it right this year. Just bringing in everyone to get something working.

Every team that is good for numerous years builds their line through the draft.

Cowboys, Ravens, Saints are just a few that come to mind.

I dont think too much is wrong with Goff. The oline hasnt been great this season and the running game has been non-existent. Like how many QBs in the history of the NFL can be great under those circumstances? Then when I think about people talking about Goff turnovers, go look at his previous two seasons and you will see he isnt normally a turnover machine. But again it goes back to what I said, the oline hasnt been great and the running game has been non-existent. 

Like go look at Joe Burrow and LSU. People are questioning why all of a sudden Burrow has went from a QB nobody even talked about as a 1st round pick to now being talked about as the 1st overall pick. Ill say that the Tigers oline has played very well and this guy by the name of Clyde Edwards-Helaire. Clyde has looked in college like Gurley was looking in the previous two seasons with the Rams. Clyde is running the ball great and catching the ball great. So that has helped Burrow tremendously. I think with Goff, McVay has to continue to feed Gurley in the running game as well as the passing game. What made the Rams so dangerous is the unpredictability. You didnt know if they was going to run it or throw it. They were one of the best screen teams in the NFL. The last time I saw a tight end screen was against the Seahawks and that game Goff was killing the Seahawks and shouldve won the game had Zeurlein made the kick. So yeah like I dont think there is really much wrong with Goff. Its the offensive approach. Gurley says he is fine and I believe him. He has zero reason to lie because he has gotten paid. So you cant say he is lying because he wants to get paid. Plus he doesnt care about perception from the media so if he didnt think he was himself he would say so and not care what anyone outside of the Rams organization thinks. So Gurley says he is fine, McVay need to continue to center the offense around him. Then where is Henderson? Like he was suppose to be the guy to bring another dimension to the offense. Like McVay offense is suppose to be centered around the running game. Thats like seeing Kyle asking Jimmy G to throw 35+ times and forgetting to run 20+ times. Like thats not the way his offense is. Now Ill give McVay a pass in the Ravens game because they were down by big quickly so he had to abandon the run. I cant give him a pass though in games like the Steelers where it was 14-12 game in the 4th quarter, Gurley was averaging 6ypc and McVay decided not to give Gurley a touch in the 4th quarter. Like that effected Goff on the road against a really good defense that is well coached by Tomlin. 

16 minutes ago, ChicagoRaider14 said:

Every team that is good for numerous years builds their line through the draft.

Cowboys, Ravens, Saints are just a few that come to mind.

I would add the Steelers. They got more attention when Bell ran the ball, but they have had one of the best olines for years and they have done it without investing as much in it as other teams. Munchack was the true hero in that regard.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Danand said:

I would add the Steelers. They got more attention when Bell ran the ball, but they have had one of the best olines for years and they have done it without investing as much in it as other teams. Munchack was the true hero in that regard.

I forgot them as well. That's why we know Rudolph is trash.