Should the Redskins trade TWill & Scherff to the Rams?

turtle28

So, I was thinking this morning after watching the Rams OL continue to be awful last night that TWill and Scherff could be a destination for the Rams in the offseason. Also, Andrew Wittworth’s contract is up after this year and most people think he will retire, he almost retired after last year and probably wishes he had today after last nights best down!

We could franchise & trade Scherff and trade TWill to the Rams too.

McVay needs OL to get back to his ZBS running with Gurley & Malcolm Brown to set up his bootlegs and play-action passes for Goff.

The question is, what would do the Rams have to offer the Redskins in a trade? 

They traded their next two first-round picks to the Jags for Ramsey.

I guess we could take their next two 2nd round picks and a player like one of their TEs like Everett (a poor man's Jordan Reed) or Tyler Higbee.

You can trade Trent Williams, but Scherff to me is not for sale. Scherff is turning into the 2019 version of Preston Smith where he is underappreciated and everyone wants him gone. He is crucial to Haskin's development at this point in his career.  We have to give Haskins a fair shake for another year and you can't do that with a bunch of holes at O-Line. Franchise him, whatever. The money doesn't matter.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, taylor made said:

You can trade Trent Williams, but Scherff to me is not for sale. Scherff is turning into the 2019 version of Preston Smith where he is underappreciated and everyone wants him gone. He is crucial to Haskin's development at this point in his career.  We have to give Haskins a fair shake for another year and you can't do that with a bunch of holes at O-Line. Franchise him, whatever. The money doesn't matter.

I think Scherff has absolutely had a rough year. I would be hesitant at this point to pay him but you can’t let him walk and create another hole. I’m going to assume the new GM will pay Scherff and Flowers and if we end up with the fourth pick they’ll take Thomas. 

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They have nothing to trade. I’ll pass. 

I'd take 2nd round picks and a player or 2. For example, Trent & Scherff to the Rams for their 2020 & 2021 2nd round picks and Brandon Cooks and Tyler Higbee.

Edited by turtle28

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think Scherff has absolutely had a rough year. I would be hesitant at this point to pay him but you can’t let him walk and create another hole. I’m going to assume the new GM will pay Scherff and Flowers and if we end up with the fourth pick they’ll take Thomas. 

We have Wes Martin to step in and by trading Scherff you can get a draft pick to help replace him to compete with Wes Martin.

42 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I agree Scherff is a bit under-appreciated, but at the same time he's not worth being paid amongst the highest-paid guards in the NFL which is what he's going to command. Can't afford to play good players elite $, that's bad salary cap allocation.

I understand Williams but not Brandon, and the salary cap goes up every year so lets not make this a Kirk thing please we are watching how this goes.  It's not the players it's the coaches he goes from being a pro bowl guard to not having a good season give him the money because if he goes some where else and become outstanding then more egg on our face I am tired of giving up on good players.  You don't see people giving up on good players just because they are having not what you consider and all pro year.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He’s playing next to a center and RT who are terrible run blockers. He’s elite but an OG must have a st least good center and RT. There is only one nfl starter on our OL and it’s him. Trade him if we are doing on a four year tanking plan otherwise keep him

trade Williams for anything we can get. 

Edited by Doc Draper

15 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

He’s playing next to a center and RT who are terrible run blockers. He’s elite but an OG must have a st least good center and RT. There is only one nfl starter on our OL and it’s him. Trade him if we are doing on a four year tanking plan otherwise keep him

trade Williams for anything we can get. 

Flowers & Penn have been decent on the left side. Definitely agree that Moses has been a disappointment since he signed his deal.

4 hours ago, taylor made said:

Scherff trade is one of those classic two-assets-for-one deals, where you have to count the draft pick you get and the contract money you free up to use on something else as separate entities. 

In other words, you trade Scherff for a mid-2nd round pick. To keep it simple, let’s say you take a replacement for him at that pick — that high in the draft, it’ll be one of the top guard prospects or a college tackle conversion. Let’s say you go with Alaric Jackson from Iowa, a Hawkeye LT to replace the former Hawkeye LT.

But in addition to the draft, you also save the $14M/year you’d have to pay Scherff to keep him (technically, it’s more like $12-12.5M once you deduct the $1.5-2M Jackson would make). You could then take that money and spin it into a big, eye-popping FA offer to Anthony Castonzo to be our Andrew Whitfield. Or you make a huge offer to Amari Cooper, which could then free you up to trade down from #3 or #4 instead of taking Jeudy (and then you get an OT later in the top 10 plus an early 2nd to use on perhaps a CB or a MLB like Kenneth Murray).

The point is, it’s important to remember that there are two ways to acquire talent: the draft and free agency. Trading for a veteran player (or in this case, choosing not to trade a veteran player) always entails limiting your ability to utilize both methods — because you’re giving up draft pick compensation and because you pay the veteran many times what you would pay the rookie.

I don’t know if that would end up being the best approach. FA money is only as good as the person you can get to accept it, and maybe those top guys get locked up on long-term deals or franchise tags. Or maybe the team is just too far down in terms of perception and desirability to get anyone to agree to come play here. But I’d want to keep it open as an option, so if it was me, I’d franchise Scherff and then take my shot at the FA market. If I landed a big FA, then I’d start looking around for possible trades for Scherff. If not, I’d probably just keep him, either on the tag or a long-term deal (if there’s any common ground for a deal that wouldn’t make me vomit). 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, offbyone said:

I have to assume Scherff isn't healthy or something.  It isn't like he was only good for one season.  I think it would be a mistake not to resign him.

As others have said, he’s better as a run blocker but isn’t as good as a pass blocker. We are now in a passing league and his deficiencies in pass blocking are evident. He hasn’t earned a contract to make him the highest paid guard in the NFL. I’m disappointed about it, I wish he had developed into the top guard in the league but he hasn’t and you can’t over pay a player by millions a year, certainly not a guard. To earn $14 Plus mil at guard he needs to be an All-Pro but sadly, he's not.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, mar29020 said:

why would anyone want sherff gone? we need to build the line not tear it down.

Because he wants LT $ and near QB money! 

Do you want to pay Scherff more than Zack Martin's contract extension with the Cowboys?

Six years for$84 million, with a $20 million signing bonus.

Edited by turtle28