2020 NFL draft thread

Gmen

Just saw a beautiful mock (with a bit of tweaking based on how board fell) 

Simmons, Stud

McKinney, FS/Zuniga, Edge (Zuniga is pick, but McKinney is there... not sure I could pass him up even though we need Edge) 

Patrick Queen, ILB

Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB

Cushenberry, OC 

Matt Peart, OT

Cephus, WR. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 8:06 PM, Gmen said:

I’m curious about Becton, but I think Wirfs will rise to the top of the OT class after the combine. He’s a great athlete and is from Iowa which produces good NFL linemen 

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/21/new-york-giants-love-iowa-tristan-wirfs/

I hope the Giants spend some money in free agency on defense and use the draft to build around DJ and Saquon

It’s going to be tough to mess up the #4 pick. A lot of great talent at the top of this draft. Young, Okudah, Wirfs, Simmons. Those are my top four non-quarterbacks and we will be able to draft one. Could even trade down and get one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gmen said:

It’s going to be tough to mess up the #4 pick. A lot of great talent at the top of this draft. Young, Okudah, Wirfs, Simmons. Those are my top four non-quarterbacks and we will be able to draft one. Could even trade down and get one.

Praying for that trade down. I've been rooting hard for Herbert to boost his stock. Between getting Rose Bowl MVP, Senior Bowl MVP (game and practice too), and throwing/running well at the combine I think the Giants can convince a team to bite and trade up for Herbert. The goal for me would be to stay in the top 10 while accruing some good assets.  

Thinking about throwing out a mock sometime in the next week or so 

On 2/29/2020 at 2:40 PM, NYGiantsman10 said:

Praying for that trade down. I've been rooting hard for Herbert to boost his stock. Between getting Rose Bowl MVP, Senior Bowl MVP (game and practice too), and throwing/running well at the combine I think the Giants can convince a team to bite and trade up for Herbert. The goal for me would be to stay in the top 10 while accruing some good assets.  

Thinking about throwing out a mock sometime in the next week or so 

This is the dream scenario. This is something i mentioned a while back. Stay within the top 10 if possible, take Simmons and maybe.. just maybe acquire another high pick or picks from another club 

• 1 month later...

As we get closer, I've been thinking more about the draft and here is where I stand on some thing:

-I want Simmons at 4. However, I realize that might not be the best way forward. If we stay at 4 and go OL, I love Becton and Wirfs, but I think Wills is the best option. Wills is the most ready to go out of the gate and would slot naturally into RT, which is super important for a year where we will likely have a shortened/more virtual offseason. Becton is a monster, but he's a natural left tackle, and asking Solder or Becton to switch will result in problems early in the season. I love Wirfs as well, but I really think he is better fit for guard, where he'll be a consistent all-pro.

-As far as interior OL, I'm looking at Ruiz or Cushenberry being the pick at 36 regardless of what we do at 4. The value for T won't be there at 36 like I thought it might be previously. Beyond those two, I like Calvin Throckmorton later on in the draft as well.

-Bad class for edge rushers. Taking Gross-Matos or Epenesa or someone else at 36 would be a mistake. I don't see any consistent good starters after Young. Don't try to force the position based on need.

-I'm smitten with Antonio Gibson out of Memphis. Backup RB, slot receiver, and KR. He's got freak explosiveness. Take him at 99 and find ways to get the ball in his hands and watch him go.

-Trading down is fun to do in mocks, but I'm about 90% sure it doesn't happen.

When I think "New York Giants" I think of The Entertainah Talkin' Sports. Every time I want an update on that team I go to him. He's basically just a fan with little or no inside info, but fun to listen to anyway.

As expected there's plenty of speculation on Isaiah Simmons (as in, does Judge mean Simmons when he says they're going to take the "best player available?)"

Personally I think they should address the o-line first and foremost. As the guest points out at 2:23, the Giants face some killer pass rushers this year and Jones can't help them much if he's running for his life.

Edited by y*so*blu

For a long time i had thought Simmons was the guy wed be going after. But after FA, post combine and just the state of the team. Im thinking stick with what i said on a trade down, stay within the top 10 to grab one of the elite OTs and then stockpile picks. We have too many holes to fill.

3 hours ago, Acgott said:

This actually scares me quite a bit.  No, I don't think that the Giants are seriously considering taking Herbert, but it seems like they're trying to entice a team to trade up to get him.  Brown tot he Lions has been really picking up steam lately.  I really hope this isn't a smoke screen to get the Dolphins to trade up to take Herbert so we can take Brown.  He's a fine player, but we have so many other needs it'd be very disappointing.  I also saw this is something Bellichek used to do to get a free scouting report on top QB's for when the play them. 

Edited by Gmen19851
add

1 hour ago, Gmen19851 said:

This actually scares me quite a bit.  No, I don't think that the Giants are seriously considering taking Herbert, but it seems like they're trying to entice a team to trade up to get him.  Brown tot he Lions has been really picking up steam lately.  I really hope this isn't a smoke screen to get the Dolphins to trade up to take Herbert so we can take Brown.  He's a fine player, but we have so many other needs it'd be very disappointing.  I also saw this is something Bellichek used to do to get a free scouting report on top QB's for when the play them. 

If Brown is our and the Lions target, why would trading down be an issue?