Jump to content
Gmen

2020 NFL draft thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

He’s not a 2020 prospect but how has Julian Love been? See he is getting some more playing time lately.

Probably our best safety. Not that that is a high bar but I am optimistic based on what I’ve seen 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Counselor said:

He’s not a 2020 prospect but how has Julian Love been? See he is getting some more playing time lately.

He was finally put onto the field when James Bettchers ego was put aside to realize Antoine Bethea is beyond washed up. Love overall has looked and played well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 6:11 PM, Counselor said:

He’s not a 2020 prospect but how has Julian Love been? See he is getting some more playing time lately.

Others have weighed in already, but he finally got playing time the past 2 weeks and he has been, no exaggeration, our best defensive player over that time. Not that that is saying much, but it has been noticeable. Sure tackler, solid coverage, is exactly where he needs to be, gives tons of effort.

It only makes me question the coaching staff even more. We know you can't develop players, like Deandre Baker. But even when you somehow luck into developing a player, you don't even know what you've done, and sit them until injuries force them into playing? This team is a clusterf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Others have weighed in already, but he finally got playing time the past 2 weeks and he has been, no exaggeration, our best defensive player over that time. Not that that is saying much, but it has been noticeable. Sure tackler, solid coverage, is exactly where he needs to be, gives tons of effort.

It only makes me question the coaching staff even more. We know you can't develop players, like Deandre Baker. But even when you somehow luck into developing a player, you don't even know what you've done, and sit them until injuries force them into playing? This team is a clusterf.

Good to hear. Drafted him, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, and Sean Murphy-Bunting on my dynasty team. All three are now producing as rookie DBs. Justin Layne is now the one I’m waiting on who I also drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At #2, assuming we stand pat, im all for Chase Young. The team needs a building block on the defensive side of the ball. I really wonder who is gonna be this teams head coach next season. After reading into an article with Steve Tisch and John Mara telling the fans to be patient, i think Shurmur is as good as gone. This team has regressed under his time here. I really think all eyes are gonna point to Ron Rivera being the next head coach here. If he is, Rivera, being a defensive minded coach, will drool over having a guy like Young on the defensive front. 

 

Edited by Giants4eva

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we bring in Rivera, do we transition back to a 4-3 or stay at 3-4?  I like the hybrid 3-4 look. 

Personally, I think Young, Moses, and Niang would be a great 3 rounds.  Depending on his recovery, I could see Moses going in mid first, though.  

I don’t think Thomas is worth the #2. He’s not a Tyron Smith or Joe Thomas.  I would take him at 5 or so though. 

What makes Gettleman even more frustrating is we spent a 2018 third on Hill, a 2019 first on Lawrence, and a 2020 3rd for Williams. That’s a lot of premium draft capital on DTs considering the state of the roster.  Personally, I would have drafted up from 17 to 15 to get Burns but being an arm chair GM is easy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Kodaraw said:

If we bring in Rivera, do we transition back to a 4-3 or stay at 3-4?  I like the hybrid 3-4 look. 

Personally, I think Young, Moses, and Niang would be a great 3 rounds.  Depending on his recovery, I could see Moses going in mid first, though.  

I don’t think Thomas is worth the #2. He’s not a Tyron Smith or Joe Thomas.  I would take him at 5 or so though. 

What makes Gettleman even more frustrating is we spent a 2018 third on Hill, a 2019 first on Lawrence, and a 2020 3rd for Williams. That’s a lot of premium draft capital on DTs considering the state of the roster.  Personally, I would have drafted up from 17 to 15 to get Burns but being an arm chair GM is easy 

I think we are going back to a 4-3. I wouldnt mind seeing us bring over Shaq Thompson and Jadeveon Clowney in free agency and then draft Young. To me thats a grand slam for an offseason. In a 4-3 setup that would be insane on paper. And i think Rivera could bring a defensive coordinator who would know how to use them the right way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did a mock before i dig into my actual work. I don't agree with a lot of the positional rankings but used the OTC mock draft thing. It factors in estimated comp picks. 

1.2 - Chase Young, Edge

2.34 - Grant Delpit, Safety

3.34 - Lucas Niang, RT

4.108 - Jacob Phillips, ILB

5.146 - Tyler Johnson, WR

6.180 - Collin Johnson, WR

7.215 - Justin Strnad, LB

7.242 - Nick Harris, OC

7.247 - Ashtyn Davis, S

7.253 - Mekhi Becton, OT

7.255 - Kendall Coleman, Edge

I couldn't pass on Delpit to take a LT in second.  Thankfully, Niang was there in the third.  I think Becton will be a great OT - mammoth of a man with a gigantic wingspan.  But, I am not sure if either can play LT.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

Welp so much for Shaq Thompson. He signed an extension with Carolina last night

I fear that’s gonna be the case for most quality players. We will be spending a fortune  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every year a mid first rounder makes a name for himself at the combine and rises into the top 5. This year I think it might be OT Tristan Wirfs from Iowa. Iowa has a history of producing good linemen. 6’5” 320, long, blue chip athlete. State wrestling champ, discus throwing champ, impressive in the weight room. He’s going to turn heads at the combine. Turns 21 in January. He may be the guy we need to protect DJ and open lanes for Saquon. 
 

450 hang clean. Breaking Brandon Sherffs Iowa record

 

Edited by Gmen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Every year a mid first rounder makes a name for himself at the combine and rises into the top 5. This year I think it might be OT Tristan Wirfs from Iowa. Iowa has a history of producing good linemen. 6’5” 320, long, blue chip athlete. State wrestling champ, discus throwing champ, impressive in the weight room. He’s going to turn heads at the combine. Turns 21 in January. He may be the guy we need to protect DJ and open lanes for Saquon. 
 

450 hang clean. Breaking Brandon Sherffs Iowa record

 

Wirfs is an animal. Between him and Andrew Thomas they are the top 2 OTs in this draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted this in a different thread, but it fits better here.  Realistically, we are good on offense minus 3/5 OL. Our CB have played better, too.  We have 900 IDL with no real edge threat or LB to back them up.  

Offense: Jones, Barkley, Shepherd, Slayton, Engram, Smith is a good squad of skill players.  Zeitler and possibly Hernandez are good on OL.  Nick Gates is good depth with starter potential  

Defense: Tomlinson, Lawrence, Love, Baker, Beal, Connelly is a good start.  Carter/X-Men aren’t game changers on the edge. 

Missing out on Young is huge bc I really think having a dominant edge player would have changed the defense. However, trading down a few times from 4 to the 15-20 range may be better for the team. Allow us to pick up extra picks, still get some blue chip players like Wirfs/Wills and Moses (depending on his knee).  

Between FA/Draft need to walk away with difference makers at: LT, RT, C, ILB, $LB, Edge, SS.  That’s not impossible, but highly improbable.  Especially considering DG may be drafting. Will probably draft another IDL early and sign Williams to a mega extension

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we trade out of the top 10. I honestly think we should grab Baidasz to complete the interior of the line. Hernandez is awful opening holes in the run game, but he's been borderline great in pass protection. Idk how to judge that IMO, I do believe adding Baidasz solves the issue that is Pulley. Pulley has been average in every aspect and is more of a depth/spot starter imo. 

 

On 12/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, Kodaraw said:

Posted this in a different thread, but it fits better here.  Realistically, we are good on offense minus 3/5 OL. Our CB have played better, too.  We have 900 IDL with no real edge threat or LB to back them up.  

Offense: Jones, Barkley, Shepherd, Slayton, Engram, Smith is a good squad of skill players.  Zeitler and possibly Hernandez are good on OL.  Nick Gates is good depth with starter potential  

Defense: Tomlinson, Lawrence, Love, Baker, Beal, Connelly is a good start.  Carter/X-Men aren’t game changers on the edge. 

Missing out on Young is huge bc I really think having a dominant edge player would have changed the defense. However, trading down a few times from 4 to the 15-20 range may be better for the team. Allow us to pick up extra picks, still get some blue chip players like Wirfs/Wills and Moses (depending on his knee).  

Between FA/Draft need to walk away with difference makers at: LT, RT, C, ILB, $LB, Edge, SS.  That’s not impossible, but highly improbable.  Especially considering DG may be drafting. Will probably draft another IDL early and sign Williams to a mega extension

 

If we get rid of Betcher, do we need a MoneyBacker? Also Solder is most likely staying at LT unless we walk away with Thomas. 

Baker has played very well as of late and Love is turning into a starting safety. Beal is injury prone. Tomlinson and Lawrence are two very good IDL pieces that I am happy to have. Yetur-Gross Moss is a very good one we should look at. If Penn State wasn't lining him up at NT he'd probably be one of the top EDGE prospects available. 

 

And if we are handing out close to 70M this off season. Can we please pay Jack Conklin? Too much to ask for? >.> Yes I am also well aware that his contract is going to look very similar to Solder's. But he's six years younger than Solder is right now, and has bounced back wonderfully from injuries. 

Edited by YogiBiz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Giants stay at 4 or 5, what would you guys think about Jeff Okudah being the pick? By all accounts he is an extremely talented, hardworking corner. Some scouts are saying he's better than Marshon Lattimore and Denzel Ward. 

It wouldn't be an ideal fit based on the Giants needs, but if the guy is that good he's absolutely worth a top 5 pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×