2020 NFL draft thread

Gmen

14 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Obviously I'm happy...haha.

You're boy Simmons is dropping, could land with the Jags at 9, but Andrew Thomas was the right pick for this team.

Will help all phases on the team, great for Jones, great for Barkley and with some 3rd down conversions it'll give our defense a break.

Finally something I can agree with from DG.  This pick very likely just saved his job.

I knew for a while simmons wasnt coming here. I was on board with Wirfs but even watching before the draft Thomas was the best pure left tackle in college. Very happy with this pick...now.. Can we land cesar ruiz????

2 minutes ago, Giants4eva said:

I knew for a while simmons wasnt coming here. I was on board with Wirfs but even watching before the draft Thomas was the best pure left tackle in college. Very happy with this pick...now.. Can we land cesar ruiz????

That would be awesome.

23 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Maybe we won’t be killed by Young, Sweat, Lawrence, etc.? This organization is too dumb to utilize Simmons properly anyway.

You sure about that? They’ll just move those guys to wherever Solder is and get hurt there

Utilising Simmons would not have been an issue. 

10 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

You sure about that? They’ll just move those guys to wherever Solder is and get hurt there

Utilising Simmons would not have been an issue. 

Let'em move their primary edge guy to the other side, at least we'll know which way to shift the coverage or which tackle to run off of.  Keep looking for reasons to hate the pick though.

• Like 1

I know some of you guys loved Thomas. I'd love to hear your thoughts on him.

I'm happy with the pick! Not the exact tackle I wanted, but I wouldn't have complained about any of them. I liked them all. Hes a classic LT, which means Solder is gone after 2020. That frees up a lot of cap space. He needs to fix his balance issues, so hopefully Columbo can get that done. 

9 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I know some of you guys loved Thomas. I'd love to hear your thoughts on him.

I'm happy with the pick! Not the exact tackle I wanted, but I wouldn't have complained about any of them. I liked them all. Hes a classic LT, which means Solder is gone after 2020. That frees up a lot of cap space. He needs to fix his balance issues, so hopefully Columbo can get that done. 

At least for me, what jumped on the film I watched of him is his high motor, he doesn't let up on plays.  You see the same fire from him in the 1st quarter that you see in the 4th.  He finishes, some might see issues with balance and maybe there is something to it, I just don't see it.  He doesn't commit all of his weight when sliding outside, meaning the edge rusher can't fool him by taking the deep step outside and shifting back inside.  He'll give up a little ground with bullrush but he adjust well and anchors quickly to recover.  He's also really good at shuffling assignments which tells me that he's seeing more than just what is in front of him.  

He's a premier left tackle in my mind, but it's his run blocking ability that I love and with having the phone booth next to him in Hernandez, his ability to get down field to spring Barkley is what you'll appreciate watching on game day.  If you get a chance watch this tape, it's the LSU matchup, very light on his feet and shows really good quickness to get down field.  

I'm hoping this isn't the case but he's played both left and right tackle positions in Georgia, started out on the right side his first year and moved to the left the following year so worst case, we have a starting right tackle where Nate holds his job on the left, but imo right now he's our starting left tackle and miles ahead of what Nate Solder provided.  Nate better starting taking practice snaps at right tackle if he plans to have a job in blue this year.

Couldn't be happier with the pick, not only was it the position I considered a need but was also the best prospect in his class, again in my opinion.

I'm really hoping that they continue to boost the offensive line in drafting a center with this next pick or at least with the late 3rd rounder as we clearly need one.  Also would like to see a late round pick or undrafted talent added to that positional group as well.  

It finally seems like this team is moving in the right direction, we've invested a lot of draft capital and money into the defense, so it was nice to see the team finally address our biggest need.  I know some were hoping for a defensive player but just being able to convert on some 3rd downs offensively will go a long ways to improving the defense....Win Win for both sides if you ask me.

• Like 3

Well the center I was hoping for went 24th to NO.

That said, I'd be looking to trade down at this point, try to recoup that lost pick given to the Jets.  Middle 2nd early 3rd would allow us to pick up one of these second tier edge rushers, which is really what this defense needs.  We generate a pass rush off the edge, I know our secondary would appreciate it.

Check out Wisconsin's  Tyler BiadaszCould possibly land him in day three.  Obviously Lloyd Cushenberry should be the pick if he's available but Tyler isn't a bad plan B option.  Also think Nick Harris could develop into a quality starter, quick on his feet but could do a better job of making contact when he gets where he's going.

Lot of talent still on the board, as no safeties were drafted in the first round aside from Simmons, Yetur Gross-Matos Edge.  Anyway, any thoughts on where you guys are leaning with this next pick? 

Honestly, I'm so glad we drafted OT when we did.   6 taken in the first round and with the ones available, waiting til the second round would have been a huge mistake.

1st Rnd - Pick 1 | Overall: 1 | CIN selects Joe Burrow - QB
1st Rnd - Pick 2 | Overall: 2 | WAS selects Chase Young - EDGE
1st Rnd - Pick 3 | Overall: 3 | DET selects Jeffrey Okudah - CB
1st Rnd - Pick 4 | Overall: 4 | NYG selects Andrew Thomas - OT
1st Rnd - Pick 5 | Overall: 5 | MIA selects Tua Tagovailoa - QB
1st Rnd - Pick 6 | Overall: 6 | LAC selects Justin Herbert - QB
1st Rnd - Pick 7 | Overall: 7 | CAR selects Derrick Brown - DL1T
1st Rnd - Pick 8 | Overall: 8 | ARI selects Isaiah Simmons - OLB
1st Rnd - Pick 9 | Overall: 9 | JAC selects C.J. Henderson - CB
1st Rnd - Pick 10 | Overall: 10 | CLE selects Jedrick Wills - OT
1st Rnd - Pick 11 | Overall: 11 | NYJ selects Mekhi Becton - OT
1st Rnd - Pick 12 | Overall: 12 | LVR selects Henry Ruggs III - WR
1st Rnd - Pick 13 | Overall: 13 | TB selects Tristan Wirfs - OT
1st Rnd - Pick 14 | Overall: 14 | SF selects Javon Kinlaw - DL3T
1st Rnd - Pick 15 | Overall: 15 | DEN selects Jerry Jeudy - WR
1st Rnd - Pick 16 | Overall: 16 | ATL selects A.J. Terrell - CB
1st Rnd - Pick 17 | Overall: 17 | DAL selects CeeDee Lamb - WR
1st Rnd - Pick 18 | Overall: 18 | MIA selects Austin Jackson - OT
1st Rnd - Pick 19 | Overall: 19 | LVR selects Damon Arnette - CB
1st Rnd - Pick 20 | Overall: 20 | JAC selects K'Lavon Chaisson - EDGE
1st Rnd - Pick 21 | Overall: 21 | PHI selects Jalen Reagor - WRS
1st Rnd - Pick 22 | Overall: 22 | MIN selects Justin Jefferson - WR
1st Rnd - Pick 23 | Overall: 23 | LAC selects Kenneth Murray - ILB
1st Rnd - Pick 24 | Overall: 24 | NO selects Cesar Ruiz - OC
1st Rnd - Pick 25 | Overall: 25 | SF selects Brandon Aiyuk - WR
1st Rnd - Pick 26 | Overall: 26 | GB selects Jordan Love - QB
1st Rnd - Pick 27 | Overall: 27 | SEA selects Jordyn Brooks - ILB
1st Rnd - Pick 28 | Overall: 28 | BAL selects Patrick Queen - OLB
1st Rnd - Pick 29 | Overall: 29 | TEN selects Isaiah Wilson - OT
1st Rnd - Pick 30 | Overall: 30 | MIA selects Noah Igbinoghene - CB
1st Rnd - Pick 31 | Overall: 31 | MIN selects Jeff Gladney - CB
1st Rnd - Pick 32 | Overall: 32 | KC selects Clyde Edwards-Helaire - RB

6 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Well the center I was hoping for went 24th to NO.

That said, I'd be looking to trade down at this point, try to recoup that lost pick given to the Jets.  Middle 2nd early 3rd would allow us to pick up one of these second tier edge rushers, which is really what this defense needs.  We generate a pass rush off the edge, I know our secondary would appreciate it.

Check out Wisconsin's  Tyler BiadaszCould possibly land him in day three.  Obviously Lloyd Cushenberry should be the pick if he's available but Tyler isn't a bad plan B option.  Also think Nick Harris could develop into a quality starter, quick on his feet but could do a better job of making contact when he gets where he's going.

Lot of talent still on the board, as no safeties were drafted in the first round aside from Simmons, Yetur Gross-Matos Edge.  Anyway, any thoughts on where you guys are leaning with this next pick? 

I think at the very least we need to come away from this draft with a starting Center and a starting Free Safety, though would have no problems if they got and Edge rusher ahead of either of those position. Given the depth at Wide Out think we should look at one or two or those in the 5th round and later.

I

13 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

I think at the very least we need to come away from this draft with a starting Center and a starting Free Safety, though would have no problems if they got and Edge rusher ahead of either of those position. Given the depth at Wide Out think we should look at one or two or those in the 5th round and later.

I

Isn't Jabrill Peppers our starting free safety?  Either way, this safety class is fairly deep.  If we opted safety with this next pick it wouldn't hurt my feelings.  Both the top rated safeties are still on the board in  Xavier McKinney &  Grant Delpit.  

If Cushenberry is there it'd be hard to pass on him but there are a couple others I think we could target in the later rounds, not saying that are day one starters but that could easily see them starting year two.

Yes, wide out is deeeeeep and I agree landing one in the 5th would be awesome.  I also think we should target a TE, mainly because Ellison is gone and Engram can't get right.  I do like the young cat Kaden Smith, think he has a chance.  Harrison Bryant, small school talent that I think can play.

All I know for sure is we got off to a great start, just wish we had more picks to play with.

4 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Isn't Jabrill Peppers our starting free safety?  Either way, this safety class is fairly deep.  If we opted safety with this next pick it wouldn't hurt my feelings.  Both the top rated safeties are still on the board in  Xavier McKinney &  Grant Delpit.  

If Cushenberry is there it'd be hard to pass on him but there are a couple others I think we could target in the later rounds, not saying that are day one starters but that could easily see them starting year two.

Yes, wide out is deeeeeep and I agree landing one in the 5th would be awesome.  I also think we should target a TE, mainly because Ellison is gone and Engram can't get right.  I do like the young cat Kaden Smith, think he has a chance.  Harrison Bryant, small school talent that I think can play.

All I know for sure is we got off to a great start, just wish we had more picks to play with.

I think of Peppers more as a Strong Safety than a true Free Safety and has there been any updates on his back condition? We got Levine to replace Ellison as our blocking tight end and I thought Kaden Smith did well filling in for Engram. 

11 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

I think of Peppers more as a Strong Safety than a true Free Safety and has there been any updates on his back condition? We got Levine to replace Ellison as our blocking tight end and I thought Kaden Smith did well filling in for Engram. 

You might be right on Peppers, but seems like anymore that both safeties now have to be able to cover.  Some good ones still on the board though.

Levine don't know much about him other than we signed him.  Smith did do well, I think me wanting a tight end is mainly because I think Harrison Bryant is the real deal and with what we have a receiver, it might be nice to give Jones some additional targets elsewhere...haha.  

Like you said though this draft is deep at receiver and we certainly need one.  We went from Odell to Golden Tate and lord knows Sheppard will have at least 2 more concussions this year.  Wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't get one walking out to check the mail.  Honestly, I think our best receiver is Darius Slayton, so if DG can pull another trick out of his hat and do that again....I'll stop cursing him as much...ha. 

Edited by ny92mike