2020 NFL draft thread

Gmen

On 12/23/2019 at 12:06 PM, Kodaraw said:

Posted this in a different thread, but it fits better here.  Realistically, we are good on offense minus 3/5 OL. Our CB have played better, too.  We have 900 IDL with no real edge threat or LB to back them up.  

Offense: Jones, Barkley, Shepherd, Slayton, Engram, Smith is a good squad of skill players.  Zeitler and possibly Hernandez are good on OL.  Nick Gates is good depth with starter potential  

Defense: Tomlinson, Lawrence, Love, Baker, Beal, Connelly is a good start.  Carter/X-Men aren’t game changers on the edge. 

Missing out on Young is huge bc I really think having a dominant edge player would have changed the defense. However, trading down a few times from 4 to the 15-20 range may be better for the team. Allow us to pick up extra picks, still get some blue chip players like Wirfs/Wills and Moses (depending on his knee).  

Between FA/Draft need to walk away with difference makers at: LT, RT, C, ILB, $LB, Edge, SS.  That’s not impossible, but highly improbable.  Especially considering DG may be drafting. Will probably draft another IDL early and sign Williams to a mega extension

I completely agree with most of what you said here. I just think we are "set" at one of the OT spots, one of the ILB spots and SS. 

If Solder is moved out of LT, he'll get a chance at RT. I have no clue whether he will work well there or not but the point is we won't be spending our assets this offseason on 2 starting OTs. Similarly, Ryan Connolly and Jabrill Peppers are going to occupy ILB and SS respectively. While our CBs have played better, I do think we are going to add a veteran starter so I'm adding CB to the list. 

That leaves 1 OT, 1 OC, 1 ILB, 1 EDGE and 1 CB as the starting positions we need to PRIORITIZE our assets around. In this scenario, I do not want to trade down because it's crucial we hit on our first two picks, and that's much easier at #4. I would take either OT, CB or EDGE at 4 (I'd rather not go CB but if Okudah is best available, I'm fine with it) and spend our priority FA money on the other two. With our 2nd rounder, we're looking at again OT/CB/EDGE + maybe OC. I don't see us spending big on ILB or $LB with either tbh.  

4 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

I completely agree with most of what you said here. I just think we are "set" at one of the OT spots, one of the ILB spots and SS. 

"Set" is much to strong a word. More like "we have bodies" at one of the OT spots. 

If Solder is moved out of LT, he'll get a chance at RT. I have no clue whether he will work well there or not but the point is we won't be spending our assets this offseason on 2 starting OTs. Similarly, Ryan Connolly and Jabrill Peppers are going to occupy ILB and SS respectively. While our CBs have played better, I do think we are going to add a veteran starter so I'm adding CB to the list. 

I think Solder is gonna play LT next season. If we keep DG past the HC search (super likely), we are probably going to give Conklin north of $15M. One of the better RT's in football, he is going to get paid. We have the need, and our GM has the propensity to prioritize HOG MOLLIES over everything. Plus we can have north of 70M in cap space.  

That leaves 1 OT, 1 OC, 1 ILB, 1 EDGE and 1 CB as the starting positions we need to PRIORITIZE our assets around. In this scenario, I do not want to trade down because it's crucial we hit on our first two picks, and that's much easier at #4. I would take either OT, CB or EDGE at 4 (I'd rather not go CB but if Okudah is best available, I'm fine with it) and spend our priority FA money on the other two. With our 2nd rounder, we're looking at again OT/CB/EDGE + maybe OC. I don't see us spending big on ILB or $LB with either tbh.  

I think Okudah is going to be the guy. I also think the Lions like him a lot. 

2 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Come combine time y’all are gonna be on the Draft Isaiah Simmons train. 

Simmons is #3 on my board. Barely behind Okudah imo. I know we aren't drafting a LB top 5, so I'm not beating that dead horse with a stick. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Come combine time y’all are gonna be on the Draft Isaiah Simmons train. 

I already am. He's the defensive guy I want. Otherwise, give me one of Jedrick Willis or Andrew Thomas or Wirfs. I haven't watched enough of any of them yet to form my own opinion, but those are the big names I'm hearing. I want a solid OL for once.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I already am. He's the defensive guy I want. Otherwise, give me one of Jedrick Willis or Andrew Thomas or Wirfs. I haven't watched enough of any of them yet to form my own opinion, but those are the big names I'm hearing. I want a solid OL for once.

Come draft day Wirfs is going to be the top OT. After he destroys the combine he is going to be the consensus #1 OT. Then Thomas at 2 and possibly Willis 3.. Im thinking Austin Jackson out of USC is gonna be #3 or #4

Edited by Giants4eva

2 minutes ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

It would be nice to not give up 750 yards to every tight end we play 

Trust me bro i want him as well. My only hope is is that if we do trade down we dont trade down far enough to lose out on him. The kid can play all over the field. If we trade ourselves out of the top 10 i think we lose out. I dont see Detroit taking him, i see them trading down and possibly dropping to the 5th or 6th pick. I dont think he makes it passed #9 depending on who is taking a player at that point. 

• Like 1

https://nflmocks.com/2020/01/02/2020-nfl-draft-raiders-trade-mock-draft/

So this mock has us trading with the Las Vegas Raiders so they can jump to 4 and pick Tua. What does realistic compensation look like to y'all for a jump up to 4? I was thinking: 

For the 4th pick in 2020 Oakland (Las Vegas, whatever) gives the NY Giants 

In 2020: 

2 first round picks (12 and 19) 

A 3rd rounder (Oakland has three in 2020. We'll take the 80th pick)

In 2021: 

A second rounder 

1 hour ago, GMENNATION said:

I think Love should get a shot over Peppers at SS.  I thought he looked better than Peppers when he played (although see below) 

I want to agree with you on Connelly, but I am hesitant because he only played 3 games before being injured. Those 3 games were great, but we’ve seen many players be hot for a few games and then not be reliable when counted on.  Especially after injury.  I agree on starting veteran CB. 

I personally would rather focus on LT than RT, though now days both are almost of equal importance but maybe that’s because we’ve had awful LT play for the last 752 years. 

3 minutes ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

So this mock has us trading with the Las Vegas Raiders so they can jump to 4 and pick Tua. What does realistic compensation look like to y'all for a jump up to 4? I was thinking: 

In 2020: 

In 2021: 

A second rounder 

That is an offer we couldnt refuse. That is truly over the top awesome

3 minutes ago, NYGiantsman10 said:

In 2020: 

In 2021: 

A second rounder 

That would give us Simmons and Delpit in the first. Go Niang in the second and I would be quite happy.  Especially if we got Yannick in FA 

1 minute ago, Kodaraw said:

That would give us Simmons and Delpit in the first. Go Niang in the second and I would be quite happy.  Especially if we got Yannick in FA 

Niang is good but 1 guy ive been following and he's super underrated is Trey Adams out of Washington. Too many ppl are forgetting about him.  I think he's a prospect of interest