Week 2 GDT - Green Bay Packers vs. Atlanta Falcons

CWood21

Falcons OL / Ryan used to be more vulnerable up the middle, but Alex Mack was a great pick up for them at Center. Even so, Ryan put a couple of passes up for grabs and GB needs to catch em this weekend

Packers addition of speed to the defense was in part a reaction to ATL, we'll see of it pays off.  Really hope Brooks is cleared for Sunday.

This is not a team I want to be down early to. Team's with more than 1 solid RB and a strong pass defense and pass rush.... We need to come out strong.

The last few years our defense has been very solid at the start of the season, so I'm not expecting to get smoked early. But we are definitely doing to need a turnover or two to take this one imo. We need Bulaga because we saw what a strong interior pass rush can do to the interior of our line without him. 

As far as atmosphere, this is going to be tough in their stadium opener, similar to the Vikings last year. I don't think we win this one, but it should be a great game

After seeing the Falcons struggle against the Bears, I feel a lot more optimistic about this game. On the other hand, it's their home opener in a new stadium. Our defense was lights out Sunday, but bear in mind that Seattle's OL has been a total disaster for years. Atlanta's is far better and our DB's are really going to have to step up. I think we can win a close one, 31-28.

Here's a link to the regular season game vs ATL last October at Lambeau Field

Packers held the lead with 4 minutes left...and ATL drove down the field and scored for the win

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201610300atl.htm

What's interesting to note is: If you scroll all the way to the end of the page, they show the play-by-play. And on the final drive the tackles for GB were made by Gunter, Goodson, Hyde and Joe Thomas. And all of those guys have been upgraded in the 2017 defense. 

I don't think either of these elite offenses will be at Max Q for week 2, its gonna take some more time to get them really rolling.

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's a link to the regular season game vs ATL last October at Lambeau Field  (At Atlanta)

Packers held the lead with 4 minutes left...and ATL drove down the field and scored for the win

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201610300atl.htm

What's interesting to note is: If you scroll all the way to the end of the page, they show the play-by-play. And on the final drive the tackles for GB were made by Gunter, Goodson, Hyde and Joe Thomas. And all of those guys have been upgraded in the 2017 defense. 

I don't think either of these elite offenses will be at Max Q for week 2, its gonna take some more time to get them really rolling.

Game was at Atlanta.   

Healthy on D should be a good thing.  Going to be a tough matchup as the ATL OL is far better than Seattle and playing on the road will be a challenge.

Some early thoughts:

1. Gotta have Bulaga back. Hopefully this will not be an issue because he was "close" last week. I give props to Murphy for holding up against SEA, especially in the 2nd half, but ATL and Beasley on turf is a different story. I think Murphy would have a hard time handling the speed element. We need a healthy line because a better offensive output in this game is going to be essential. We need to keep ARod clean back there so he can get into a groove. 

2. 3rd down Defense -- last couple of outings in ATL (both games last year) our 3rd down defense sucked. We have to get ATL off the field. It's not going to happen all game but we have to force at least 3-4 punts compared to 0 punts like our last outing. That is going to require a pass rush because Ryan will eat us alive without a steady dose of pressure to rattle him. Matthews needs to play A LOT better than he did last January, and we need Daniels and Perry to play big again, against better competition. On the back end, when our guys do get pressure, we can't have that wide open WR left uncovered to bail them out. Put House on Jones to match up against him as best as possible and let Randall and Rollins cover Sanu/Gabriel. Tough matchups across the board for us, but we need to hang in there and force some stops. 1 or 2 takeaways would be appreciated as well, but I'll take some punts if nothing else. 

3. Intangibles -- ATL is at home opening up a new stadium. That matters, plain and simple and puts us at a disadvantage the moment we step onto the field. Penalties are going to be critical on both sides of the ball, we have to win there. 

The NFL is a game of matchups and IMO, I think ATL matches up against GB better than most teams. On offense, they have a solid QB and a great passing game coupled with fast RBs, a recipe that usually leads to big days against a Capers defense. On defense, ATL is built on speed and if they can pressure ARod, our offense is going to struggle and not be able to keep up. Not going to make a prediction on Tuesday about this game, but we aren't going to go undefeated and I'd put this game right at the top of likely losses. 

In 2016, the Packers much-maligned defense gave up fewer points than the ATL defense, fewer red zone scores and a lower opponent passer rating ( 69 vs 86)

The Packers 2016 defense also allowed fewer rushing yards per game and fewer yards per rush than the Falcons defense

Gonna be a tough battle in a stadium-opener. Defense got help from a major TOP advantage vs. Seattle, though they admittedly deserve some credit for it due to 3rd-down %. GB ran 82 plays vs. 49 for SEA. Hopefully the defense can keep up the stamina if things start to slide the other way. I look forward to the offense playing alot better.

It'll be interesting to see who gets cut to free up Geronimo. Gotta think it'll be Pipkins. Should help our offense that much more because I think Allison is easily the No. 4 WR on this team and Rodgers likes to look for him, especially on 3rd down. It'll be good having him back. 

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It'll be interesting to see who gets cut to free up Geronimo. Gotta think it'll be Pipkins. Should help our offense that much more because I think Allison is easily the No. 4 WR on this team and Rodgers likes to look for him, especially on 3rd down. It'll be good having him back. 

Him it McCray I hope.

The Falcons present a little different challenge this week, lots of 21 personnel instead of 11

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-offensive-personnel-analysis

"Finally, we have the best offense in the league: the Falcons. They only used 11 personnel 45 percent of the time, third-lowest in the league. Instead, they led the league in 21 personnel -- the old-fashioned pro set ! Between Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman, and Patrick DiMarco, the Falcons ran 262 plays out of classic two-back formations, the most in the league. They weren't cheating by slipping Freeman or Coleman out as a wideout, either. All told, 212 of those snaps were just good old fashioned I-formation football. "

I watched the Falcons/Bears game.

Bears had success getting their rookie RB out of the backfield and into routes.  If only GB had a RB that could catch the ball...  :)

Falcons defense looked scary fast.  They will be faster at home in their dome opener.

Regardless of my green and gold glasses, GB loses this one, and it will be by double digits again.  Not that GB won't play better, but the Falcons are going to be all jacked up to open that place up.

Any thoughts on who will be matched up with who this week? not that sanu is an easy cover per say, but I imagine hooper, gabriel and of course julio are trickier to handle.

Om the falcons side, kinda expect tru to shadow jordy and maybe even spy Rodgers with RIley or Ishmael. That leaves poole on cobb and alford on adams.

39 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Falcons defense looked scary fast.  They will be faster at home in their dome opener.

They are definitely a fast defense,  but it didn't seem to help too much last year

Points Against: 406 (25.4/g) 27th of 32 teams

Gave up 28+ points in 9 out of 16 games. Only offenses they really shut down were pretty weak: Broncos, Rams, 49ers and... Panthers (once, other game was 33)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/atl/2016.htm

Archived