Week 13 GDT - Baltimore Ravens vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

I know it's stupid, but I'm kind of annoyed by the love affair the national media has with the Ravens after this game. I get that they are the media sweethearts right now, but this was just a great game between two good teams, and it's all about the Ravens, Lamar Jackson, and their offense. It's seriously kind of annoying. Yes, the offense got the better of our defense in the first half, and yes, they ended up getting the job done in the end, but they didn't win the second half against us, and 7 of their points came on a super short field following a turnover. They were far less efficient than they had been throughout the season, far less efficient than us in the game, etc. But the talk is all about them, their greatness to win games where they don't play well, etc. I'm a little salty about that. I mean, lets give some credit to the 49ers here people lol. I know that our team will feast on that, but as a fan, I find it annoying. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Blame the young LBs for the most part for guessing wrong. That's where they got overanxious and didn't do their jobs. 

I mean we still produced more big plays than the Ravens through the air...heck, just overall. But those conditions were rough on the QBs. This is why in better weather, I trust our pass offense to be better than theirs. Deebo/Sanders/Kittle allow us to pretty much go heads up with anyone. 

It was also the DEs crashing hard towards the RBs. Both Armstead and Bosa got caught several times diving straight to the RB....wasn't just the young LBs. That's why I think its what Saleh/Koureck is teaching them because they ALL seem to be doing it. If you're the last guy on the edge, your number #1 priority should be funneling everything back inside, not hunting for the RB, trying to get a TFLs. Its like they see they're unblock and their eyes get big, like they're about to make a play. They should be hitting Jackson every single time in those instances. It should be automatic. Let the interior worry about stopping the RB. But I would never allow Jackson to keep the ball in those instances. I'll live with Ingram gashing me a few times up the middle. But I would put Jackson on the ground every single time. He won't hold up if every team took that philosophy.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

I know it's stupid, but I'm kind of annoyed by the love affair the national media has with the Ravens after this game. I get that they are the media sweethearts right now, but this was just a great game between two good teams, and it's all about the Ravens, Lamar Jackson, and their offense. It's seriously kind of annoying. Yes, the offense got the better of our defense in the first half, and yes, they ended up getting the job done in the end, but they didn't win the second half against us, and 7 of their points came on a super short field following a turnover. They were far less efficient than they had been throughout the season, far less efficient than us in the game, etc. But the talk is all about them, their greatness to win games where they don't play well, etc. I'm a little salty about that. I mean, lets give some credit to the 49ers here people lol. I know that our team will feast on that, but as a fan, I find it annoying. 

I don't mind. Let the media put more pressure on the Ravens and make us the underdog again.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

Excatly how I feel. Crown them then...but they better hope we dont see them again.

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was surprised how well our D did against them (the rain helped our defense...but it helped theirs too)

2 punts, 4th down stop, and a FF when they were driving down our territory. They had 3 long drives for 13 combined (1 TD 2 FG) and a short drive for 7. Less than 300 yards total, only 100 yards passing on 25 attempts. Shut down Hollywood Brown. Outside of Jackson, only Mark Ingram did anything, and he got stuffed as the day went on. 

I know the game would have played out differently, but that fumble by Jimmy G still annoys me today and made a huge difference. His internal clock has to go off at that point. 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 2

And just to add to Forge's point, ppl keep talking about the weather, like it affected them more. Bull****. They are a power-based, wildcat offense. They're a man-based blocking scheme which relies on the ground game, more than any offense in the league. Rain doesn't really affect what they want to do, especially with their interior runs. 

We're a zone based run scheme. We rely on precision and timing for our run game to work. You think the rain doesn't affect that more than a when you're essential blocking in a phone booth?? Rain wasn't the issue, it was our D that was the culprit for their meager production

Not to mention, the defense essential had to go away from what we do best and still put together another impressive performance. That to me, more than anything showed me that our defense is elite. Even when we're not in our wheelhouse, we can still execute, for the most part, and be stifling.

I do think the rain clearly affected Jimmy's ball placement, as he had alot of throws that were not that great, location wise. I thought it was odd he chose to warm up in the tunnel and not go onto the field and toss the ball in the elements. Idk...just thought it was weird....game isn't played in a tunnel but whatever

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

It was also the DEs crashing hard towards the RBs. Both Armstead and Bosa got caught several times diving straight to the RB....wasn't just the young LBs. That's why I think its what Saleh/Koureck is teaching them because they ALL seem to be doing it. If you the last guy on the edge, your number #1 priority should be funneling everything back inside, not hunting for the RB, trying to get a TFLs. Its like they see they're unblock and their eyes get big, like they're about to make a play. They should hitting Jackson every single time in those instances. It should be automatic. Let the interior worry about stopping the RB. But I would never allow Jackson to keep the ball in those instances. I'll live with Ingram gashing me a few times up the middle. But I would put Jackson on the ground every single time. He won't hold up if every team took that philosophy.

Honestly no doubt they where told to crash on the RB on every play. For guys like Wilson that no doubt is the best choice but with a guy like Jackson you have to go hit the QB every single time in my eyes. 

21 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

but that fumble by Jimmy G still annoys me today and made a huge difference. His internal clock has to go off at that point. 

Its not really about his internal clock as much as its his ball security.

I can live with him taking a sacks but the sack fumbles are mostly him being careless when he is engaged by the defender.

In hs, they teach kids, when you're taking a sack, to tuck the ball close to your body, so that you don't fumble. Like when you feel you're being hit, you roll with the momentum while securing the ball and shielding it with your body. Jimmy has the ball out, away from his body like hanging fruit and guys just merely have to stick they're hands right there and its on the ground. He needs to work on that because I feel defenders have caught on and the word has gotten out. If a guy is coming from you're blindside and they just chop at the ball, is one thing. Can't really avoid those sack-fumbles. But the majority of Jimmy's is when he's sees he's about to go down, tries to avoid the hit and is going to ground and he doesn't secured the ball, while the defender just swats it out of his hands.

Edited by 757-NINER

49 minutes ago, Forge said:

I listen a bit to SAS and MAx this morning and I quickly closed out of the video. SAS quickly points out to Jimmy's stat line but did he realize that Lamar only threw for 105? good grief. 

My relative didn't watch the game but he watched the highlights and quickly said that Balt should of won by 10+, I quickly had to put a stop to that.

And I've said it once but I'll continue to say it until it happens...

Fred Warner is a All-Pro. Dude is everywhere, all at once it seems. He has stepped his game up in Kwon's absence. He deserves waaaaay more recognition.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

It was also the DEs crashing hard towards the RBs. Both Armstead and Bosa got caught several times diving straight to the RB....wasn't just the young LBs. That's why I think its what Saleh/Koureck is teaching them because they ALL seem to be doing it. If you're the last guy on the edge, your number #1 priority should be funneling everything back inside, not hunting for the RB, trying to get a TFLs. Its like they see they're unblock and their eyes get big, like they're about to make a play. They should be hitting Jackson every single time in those instances. It should be automatic. Let the interior worry about stopping the RB. But I would never allow Jackson to keep the ball in those instances. I'll live with Ingram gashing me a few times up the middle. But I would put Jackson on the ground every single time. He won't hold up if every team took that philosophy.

I think that was by design. When Armstead was diving right at the RB, that was his assignment and then the LBs handle Jackson on the run. The problem was that #51, #53 and #57 kept crashing down and got away from their assignments. A few times we played it perfectly up front but no clue what the hell #51 was doing.

Oh well, definitely a learning experience for the youngsters. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Stop paying attention to the media. It's bad for your health.

7 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Our starting corners hardly allowed anything. I don't see how Sherman only allowed two yards though considering that Snead caught a pass on him for at least 10 yards? 

McGlinchey was great, I thought dominating both in the pass and run game. He's looked dominant in the run game the last two weeks which is huge going forward. Will help us get our run game back on track, and really the last two weeks it has gotten going better than it has since the early part of the year.