Week 13 GDT - Baltimore Ravens vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Since @oldman9er couldn't control himself for this mouth watering match up, let's get this thread up and going early in the week!

Sunday was our best performance of the season considering the opponent IMO. There are other games you can argue for being better, but the Packers were 8-2 and one of our biggest threats in the NFC. It was a complete and utter beat down. But honestly, I actually predicted a 14 point win so I wasn't THAT worried about the match up.

Now, COMPLETELY different beast we will be facing this Sunday. Our three game home stand is over and we have to travel to the EC and play in the early game against the red hot Ravens. Wilson was the clear MVP front runner at one point, but now after the last four or so games, it is Jackson's award to lose. Dude is ridiculously good with his arm and his legs. Their run game really does unstoppable at the moment. Nonetheless, I'm excited to see what kind of game plan Saleh comes up with to slow them down. Our secondary and corners in particular have been locking it up all season long, but the one weakness of this defense is the run defense. I mean we have some really good weeks and other weeks not as good. Jackson being the TRUE dual threat of the league worries me since our DL will be a bit hesitant rushing which will give him a lot of time in the pocket. Their OL is great and their bookends are as good as it gets. If we can really make it hard for Jackson to pass against us and somewhat limit the run game, we will have a solid shot at winning. It will put our corners in an island but they were in an island often last week and did well. But Hollywood Brown getting isolated with no safety help is a scary thought.

Offensively we just HAVE to establish the run game. We ran the ball better against GB, but their run defense is awful and they kind of quit towards the end of the game. Staley will likely be back and we will need to see him get back to his prime form in the run game. McGlinchey was awesome last week and a big help to our run game. If Staley can't go, we just have to go with Brunskill who is clearly better than Skule. The Ravens secondary is REALLY good though and I'm not quite sure how we attack them? They have some ball hawks in the back end and we know Jimmy G can throw one or two up any given game. He will have to play a clean game and I think we will need to use some double moves to get some things going down the field. Kittle is maybe the one guy the Ravens just can't match up with. And if they give him extra attention, then Sanders/Deebo will have to win their individual match ups. Hope Breida returns as I think he can get some things going in the run game as well as Mostert.

I think we have a special team, but the Ravens are also looking special. Maybe more heart than anything, but I think we take the game late 24-20 in a fairly low scoring game. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

Ugh scary game. I'm just hoping it's competitive and if they lose it's close. If there is a chance they can see them again in the SB, I rather chalk this game up to a loss. I looked it up and they haven't beaten the Ravens since 1996.....yikes! 

They are a beast of the team but they are vulnerable....right? It's beyond my knowledge though as far as what needs to be done...lol.

Maybe watch Roman's Kap footage and maybe see what the Ravens did in the SB years ago? 

Beautiful, as the play was going on live I was like Rodgers is about to get him on a double move, but nope, no chance. Played it great. They went deep on him like three times and were successful zero times. Both are starting corners are great against the deep ball. Moseley as well, he never panics and plays the ball when the receiver does get a hand on it.

24 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

Ugh scary game. I'm just hoping it's competitive and if they lose it's close. If there is a chance they can see them again in the SB, I rather chalk this game up to a loss. I looked it up and they haven't beaten the Ravens since 1996.....yikes! 

They are a beast of the team but they are vulnerable....right? It's beyond my knowledge though as far as what needs to be done...lol.

Maybe watch Roman's Kap footage and maybe see what the Ravens did in the SB years ago? 

Kap threw for over 300 yards that game and ran for 62 yards. Not sure that is the game we need to study lol.

I mean their offense is great and best in the league right now. You just have to be able to stack the box and have your corners match up one on one with their receivers. Easier said than none as if you play man coverage like that, Jackson can take off for 50+ yards. Then I heard yesterday that he does best against cover 3 lol. 

Tough match up for sure. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kap threw for over 300 yards that game and ran for 62 yards. Not sure that is the game we need to study lol.

I mean their offense is great and best in the league right now. You just have to be able to stack the box and have your corners match up one on one with their receivers. Easier said than none as if you play man coverage like that, Jackson can take off for 50+ yards. Then I heard yesterday that he does best against cover 3 lol. 

Tough match up for sure. 

I mean every game for Jackson can't be 5 TDs and running around like that? Maybe this is the game. I know there was weather talk and looking at the forecast it looks to be about 90% chance of rain.

So what is the defensive gameplan here? Do you simply have Warner spy Jackson all game long? Or do you try and go the Chargers route, stack the defense with 7 defensive backs and 4 lineman to mitigate the speed? It was a goofy gamplan by the chargers last year (and Jackson was a rookie, so you have to account for that), but the fact remains that it worked and I don't know that many teams have actually tried to employ it this seasons. We are actually one of the few teams that could actually employ that strategy reasonably well with our personnel (all 7 on the field would basically be starter level), but it also takes you out of your defensive comfort zone from what's been working so well this year. 

3 hours ago, Forge said:

So what is the defensive gameplan here? Do you simply have Warner spy Jackson all game long? Or do you try and go the Chargers route, stack the defense with 7 defensive backs and 4 lineman to mitigate the speed? It was a goofy gamplan by the chargers last year (and Jackson was a rookie, so you have to account for that), but the fact remains that it worked and I don't know that many teams have actually tried to employ it this seasons. We are actually one of the few teams that could actually employ that strategy reasonably well with our personnel (all 7 on the field would basically be starter level), but it also takes you out of your defensive comfort zone from what's been working so well this year. 

Interesting point. Initially I was in favor of doing what teams do to us... selling out to stop the run. But I dont want Brown running past our CBs for long TDs either. 

Giving more thought, I think you have to thrown-in some timely run blitzes but mainly just stack the box and make Jackson beat you with his arm. We'll probably see more 2 TE sets this game than we will in all our games combined this year. We'll be in our base alot so I think you have the play the run, while being mindful of the misdirections and play-action....much easier said than done.

I dont like our chances....like at all. We're a middle of the pack run defense. We have a issue with leaky yards in the run game. We have to really emphasize being sure tacklers this week and getting guys to the ground on first contact. Hopefully facing AZ had prepared us somewhat for what we'll see Sunday but even then, its a different offense and different way they attack you. Im eager to see how answer the call.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

This is totally a pick your poison sort of game so I'm not sure there is any answer to them. That said,  if it was me deciding (and my horrible opinions) we stay in a 4-2-5 with Moore playing centerfield, shading the deep crossing and fly routes, and then rotating Tartt/Ward in various zone/man and combo looks  right before the snap. Jackson has been so decisive and has picked apart zones all year to where I don't feel comfortable just playing vanilla zone coverages with pattern matching is enough, and on top of that, i don't think just letting Greenlaw or Warner spy is enough. I think we have to make a concerted effort to keep everything in front the secondary, let Moore shade deep routes  and have eyes on Jackson at all time. Get him hesitating and slow him running down and force him to make off-schedule passes all game. If/when he breaks the pocket, there needs to be a LBer, corner and safety all shading Jackson at various levels but no one charging him or vacating their zone. Discipline,  flying to the ball and surefire tackling is the formula. Discipline blitzing would be a good thing to do too. That blitz that led to the Wilson long run for the FG was a messed up because it was suppose to be in the B gap and they went C..and Russ did the rest (iirc). Jackson will annihilate us if we do that.

On offense..this really has to be the week we break down their defense.They've been playing insanely well post Browns purge, but they're not beyond getting worked. Ball control would be hugie in this game too...obvious..but can't be emphasized enough.

25 minutes ago, John232 said:

This is totally a pick your poison sort of game so I'm not sure there is any answer to them. That said,  if it was me deciding (and my horrible opinions) we stay in a 4-2-5 with Moore playing centerfield, shading the deep crossing and fly routes, and then rotating Tartt/Ward in various zone/man and combo looks  right before the snap. Jackson has been so decisive and has picked apart zones all year to where I don't feel comfortable just playing vanilla zone coverages with pattern matching is enough, and on top of that, i don't think just letting Greenlaw or Warner spy is enough. I think we have to make a concerted effort to keep everything in front the secondary, let Moore shade deep routes  and have eyes on Jackson at all time. Get him hesitating and slow him running down and force him to make off-schedule passes all game. If/when he breaks the pocket, there needs to be a LBer, corner and safety all shading Jackson at various levels but no one charging him or vacating their zone. Discipline,  flying to the ball and surefire tackling is the formula. Discipline blitzing would be a good thing to do too. That blitz that led to the Wilson long run for the FG was a messed up because it was suppose to be in the B gap and they went C..and Russ did the rest (iirc). Jackson will annihilate us if we do that.

On offense..this really has to be the week we break down their defense.They've been playing insanely well post Browns purge, but they're not beyond getting worked. Ball control would be hugie in this game too...obvious..but can't be emphasized enough.

Exactly what I was thinking with Moore covering those long routes especially with his speed it will help keeping Brown contained.