Week 13 GDT - Baltimore Ravens vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Just now, straighthate said:

I’m not a fan of the RPO offense either. Just not my style of football. And history will show that quarterbacks who can’t figure out how to be a pocket passer typically get figured out (or hurt) within a year or two. 

That said, it’s disappointing we let it beat us, but we were beat fair and square. There were some penalties (and lack there of) that I felt like hurt us, but I’m guessing the Ravens fanbase looks at the PI on 4th down and the lack of a PI call on Ward’s breakup and say they got screwed too. 

Jackson CAN throw though. Wasn't great throwing today, but dude has 25 TD passes to 5 INTs and over a 110 rating. 

I personally love that style of offense. Helps the defense out and so tough to stop. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jackson CAN throw though. Wasn't great throwing today, but dude has 25 TD passes to 5 INTs and over a 110 rating. 

I personally love that style of offense. Helps the defense out and so tough to stop. 

I will admit I’ve only watched 4 or 5 games of his this year but I just don’t think he’s nearly the passing QB he’s being made out to be. His TD passes all seem like wide open guys because the defense is so focused on the run. Good example was his TD pass today. 

Of the running QBs this years version of Jackson looks like maybe the best of them in history. Definitely better than Kap who’s probably the most recent compare. 

Also want to clarify that Wilson is not a running QB in my mind. Occasional called runs, but he’s definitely a passer that scrambles when he has to. Maybe does the best job I’ve ever seen of deciding when to run or pass and always keeping his eyes downfield. God I hate the Seahawks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk9erfan said:

Can't remember who mentioned it earlier but the real difficulty in containing Jackson in the running game is how difficult it is to tell who's actually got the ball at the hand-off. The Ravens do a brilliant job of disguising this and it confuses and throws off the timing of the defense. 

So much this.  I mentioned something similar earlier.  There were at least half a dozen plays that I had no idea who had the ball until the play was over.  They sell it so well.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ataal said:

So much this.  I mentioned something similar earlier.  There were at least half a dozen plays that I had no idea who had the ball until the play was over.  They sell it so well.  

It's like magic! like cheese-icanery! 

( see chicanery: https://www.google.com/search?q=chicanery+meaning&oq=chicanery&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l7.4681j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 )

I know. I'm being a boo-boo-face, and am both aware and okay with this. 

7 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Shanahan as usual, had way more positive calls than negative ones. To single him out in this game as to why they lost is absurd. 

It's absurd. 

It's the people who jumped on the bandwagon this year. So annoying. I mean, there were people talking about firing him this off-season lol

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

Nothing wrong with calling out Shanny when its warranted. He's not perfect nor incapable of blunders/bad decisions....

I didn't like either of the 4th down calls in the second half. I just believe when you're caving up a defense on the ground, you should at least appear that you might run the ball in a short yardage situation. Even if you prefer to pass in those situations, eliminating the threat of the run by lining up in shotgun or empty sets makes you one dimensional in those situations and easier to defend. Teams scout us...they know we're not handing the ball off, in shotgun most of the time.

Had no problem with the first 4th down call on the very first drive. I just thought Jimmy made a horrible decision throwing into double coverage. I'll have to wait for the All-22 but its miracle that pass wasn't intercepted. Seems like Peters just lost track of the ball but he was in prime position to at least get the pd there. I'll give Jimmy credit for the throw but I really want to see the route combination from that play and see if there was receiver open, underneath.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Nothing wrong with calling out Shanny when its warranted. He's not perfect nor incapable of blunders/bad decisions....

I didn't like either of the 4th down calls in the second half. I just believe when you're caving up a defense on the ground, you should at least appear that you might run the ball in a short yardage situation. Even if you prefer to pass in those situations, eliminating the threat of the run by lining up in shotgun or empty sets makes you one dimensional in those situations and easier to defend. Teams scout us...they know we're not handing the ball off, in shotgun most of the time.

Had no problem with the first 4th down call on the very first drive. I just thought Jimmy made a horrible decision throwing into double coverage. I'll have to wait for the All-22 but its miracle that pass wasn't intercepted. Seems like Peters just lost track of the ball but he was in prime position to at least get the pd there. I'll give Jimmy credit for the throw but I really want to see the route combination from that play and see if there was receiver open, underneath.

If you watch, Jimmy threw it when Peters had his back to the ball. In a way it was safe that it wasn't going to be INT, but even so, would have been no big deal since it was 4th down. 

That was my beef with the 4th down play call, it eliminated the threat of the run. But as I've said in the past, we are run heavy team without the power run element and it hurts in certain areas. I just don't like throwing the ball there in traffic. Would have liked to Jimmy get out of the pocket. 

But overall, I was pleased with the offense until we get to the 30-40 yard line. Clearly faltered a bit there but for a while we were moving the ball with little to no issue. 

Shanny had a great game plan running the ball at the edge as their LBs are a little slow and putting their secondary in tough positions. Thought McGlinchey and Kittle had monster games blocking today. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

There is a difference between criticizing a call he made, and blaming an entire game worth of snaps, a close game, on one call from Shanahan. Which is what I heard at least one poster insinuate. 

Again, most of his calls were fine I thought. The offense wasn't shut down. I hear far more groaning for Shanahan when something doesn't work, then I hear praising when something does, which is most of the time. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2