Week 13 GDT - Baltimore Ravens vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

I love the way Mostert ran the ball yesterday. I'm so happy to FINALLY see our speed at RB being used on the perimeter. I feel like during the first quarter to half of the season, we saw a lot of motion running, stretch plays, WR sweeps, and all of the variations off of those looks. For the past couple of games, our running game turned into 3 yards and cloud of dust up the gut. All of the creativity went out the window. 

I'm so glad to see plays attacking the edge of the defense with the elite speed our RBs possess. I want to see these kinds of runs for the rest of the season. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I know it's stupid, but I'm kind of annoyed by the love affair the national media has with the Ravens after this game. I get that they are the media sweethearts right now, but this was just a great game between two good teams, and it's all about the Ravens, Lamar Jackson, and their offense. It's seriously kind of annoying. Yes, the offense got the better of our defense in the first half, and yes, they ended up getting the job done in the end, but they didn't win the second half against us, and 7 of their points came on a super short field following a turnover. They were far less efficient than they had been throughout the season, far less efficient than us in the game, etc. But the talk is all about them, their greatness to win games where they don't play well, etc. I'm a little salty about that. I mean, lets give some credit to the 49ers here people lol. I know that our team will feast on that, but as a fan, I find it annoying. 

Yeah, I mean after the Seattle game everyone kept making it seem like Wilson dominated us and we couldn't stop him. Whatever, both SEA and BAL do deserve a lot of credit for beating us so I'm fine with any love Jackson gets.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

And just to add to Forge's point, ppl keep talking about the weather, like it affected them more. Bull****. They are a power-based, wildcat offense. They're a man-based blocking scheme which relies on the ground game, more than any offense in the league. Rain doesn't really affect what they want to do, especially with their interior runs. 

We're a zone based run scheme. We rely on precision and timing for our run game to work. You think the rain doesn't affect that more than a when you're essential blocking in a phone booth?? Rain wasn't the issue, it was our D that was the culprit for their meager production

Not to mention, the defense essential had to go away from what we do best and still put together another impressive performance. That to me, more than anything showed me that our defense is elite. Even when we're not in our wheelhouse, we can still execute, for the most part, and be stifling.

I do think the rain clearly affected Jimmy's ball placement, as he had alot of throws that were not that great, location wise. I thought it was odd he chose to warm up in the tunnel and not go onto the field and toss the ball in the elements. Idk...just thought it was weird....game isn't played in a tunnel but whatever

The passing game matters more to us than them, despite Jimmy's low attempts in certain games. And simply put, we have better weapons that couldn't get fully utilized yesterday. I'm actually confident our passing game can have decent amount of success against that secondary in better weather conditions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dub_City30 said:

If Jimmy G had a better game we would have won. Too many low balls thrown on critical 3rd downs. Oh well hopefully het continues to improve and play better in the playoffs. 

1st third down: Jimmy completes pass for 30 yards to Bourne. Low, but complete. Converts.

2nd third down: Jimmy sacked for zero yards

3rd third down: Jimmy sacked/fumbles

4th third down: Jimmy throws wide to Sanders who makes a diving grab. Goes for 3 yards. 49ers needed 4. 

5th third down: Jimmy throws over the middle for Sanders for 8 yards. 49ers needed 3. Converts. 

6th third down: Jimmy throws short right to Mostert for a bread basket catch. Placed fairly well, but Mostert still has to cradle the catch. Goes for 3, 49ers needed 4. 

7th third down: Jimmy QB sneaks for a 1st on 3rd and 1. Converts. 

8th third down: Mostert runs for 5 yards. 49ers needed 6.

9th third down: Jimmy throws deep right to Sanders in the endzone about 20 yards out. Guarded well by Peters. Non catchable.

10th third down: Jimmy completes pass to Sanders for 12 yards over the middle. 49ers needed 4. Converts. 

11 third down: Jimmy throws short on a comeback route to Samuel with Jimmy Smith in quality coverage. Penalty on Kittle. Holding. Makes play irrelevant. 

12th third down: Mostert for 3 yards. 49ers needed 4.

There was one throw on a third down in which Jimmy threw the ball short, and the result was an incompletion. This was in the rain by the way. You should watch the game again. 

• Like 1

There was one 3rd-down play that he threw short, which the announcers mentioned that the Ravens corner was pretty much hanging all over our receiver and would've possibly intercepted the pass. Jimmy is almost always money on 3rd down.

Jimmy didn't lose the game, one play call on 4th down in the 4th quarter and missed field goal lost the game - that's all.

Edited by NinerNation21

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I was just coming in to say the bolded. There was one 3rd down play that he threw short, which the announcers mentioned that the Ravens corner was pretty much hanging all over our receiver and would've possibly intercepted the pass. 

Jimmy is almost always money on 3rd down. Jimmy didn't lose the game, one play call on 4th down in the 4th quarter and missed field goal lost the game - that's all.

Yes. Jimmy had bigger criticisms than throwing the ball short on a third down, which he did one time during the entire game. Singling him out for that is...well, it's ludicrous plain and simple. 

I'll have to disagree with your second point. I think the entire team lost the game. Every unit had their mini lapses, and it just proved too much to overcome. Missed tackles, Jimmy's fumble, bad clock management before the half, missed field goal, etc. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Yes. Jimmy had bigger criticisms than throwing the ball short on a third down, which he did one time during the entire game. Singling him out for that is...well, it's ludicrous plain and simple. 

I'll have to disagree with your second point. I think the entire team lost the game. Every unit had their mini lapses, and it just proved too much to overcome. Missed tackles, Jimmy's fumble, bad clock management before the half, missed field goal, etc. 

Gould makes the field goal at the end of the first half and the 49ers convert the last 4th down and they win the game - plain and simple. 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

There was one 3rd-down play that he threw short, which the announcers mentioned that the Ravens corner was pretty much hanging all over our receiver and would've possibly intercepted the pass. Jimmy is almost always money on 3rd down.

Jimmy didn't lose the game, one play call on 4th down in the 4th quarter and missed field goal lost the game - that's all.

He made, arguably, the biggest mistake in the game with his lapse in ball security on the sack-fumble. Both hands and arms should have been around that ball. If so, how would it come loose? A lot of mistakes were made, but that one was the biggest, IMO.

11 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Gould makes the field goal at the end of the first half and the 49ers convert the last 4th down and they win the game - plain and simple. 

I mean, that was a lot to ask. That still hangs at the feet of Shanny in my opinion. Gould doesn't have the leg he used to, and asking him to hit from 50+ in excellent conditions is a lot. Asking him to do so in a game with these conditions was frankly, unreasonable. I said that during the game. Shanny did not give us a reasonable chance to score on that drive with the clock management. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, that was a lot to ask. That still hangs at the feet of Shanny in my opinion. Gould doesn't have the leg he used to, and asking him to hit from 50+ in excellent conditions is a lot. Asking him to do so in a game with these conditions was frankly, unreasonable. I said that during the game. Shanny did not give us a reasonable chance to score on that drive with the clock management. 

Okay, so I've heard this argument quite a bit. Now, question, do you think we didn't have enough time to move the ball late or we just were unable to move the ball late? 

We had three timeouts and 26 seconds left after Mostert picked up the first down and took it down to the Ravens 42 yard line. We ended up having FIVE plays ran after that big run and picked up a grand total of nine yards. Mind you, this included a five yard offsides penalty on Baltimore.

I just think our offense stalled after the big run and couldn't get anything going. If you have five plays all three timeouts, you should be picking up more than 9 yards. So I think the bigger blame should be on how we weren't able to move the ball at all after the Mostert run, not necessarily Shanny not giving us a reasonable chance to score. Three timeouts to your disposal is damn near like adding 30-45 seconds on the clock. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay, so I've heard this argument quite a bit. Now, question, do you think we didn't have enough time to move the ball late or we just were unable to move the ball late? 

We had three timeouts and 26 seconds left after Mostert picked up the first down and took it down to the Ravens 42 yard line. We ended up having FIVE plays ran after that big run and picked up a grand total of nine yards. Mind you, this included a five yard offsides penalty on Baltimore.

I just think our offense stalled after the big run and couldn't get anything going. If you have five plays all three timeouts, you should be picking up more than 9 yards. So I think the bigger blame should be on how we weren't able to move the ball at all after the Mostert run, not necessarily Shanny not giving us a reasonable chance to score. Three timeouts to your disposal is damn near like adding 30-45 seconds on the clock. 

I think that he got caught up in a weird situation where he didn't know where to go with the drive. Personally, the minute Mostert had that 20 yard run to start the drive, putting the ball at the 45, I'm going for the points, which means that I'm probably calling timeouts right then and there if we are stopped in bounds. I mentioned at the time that I also think he was then giving up on the drive after the Manny penalty - look at the time that runs off between the Deebo catch and the Mostert run. That was a loooooooot of time, whereas I probably would have still gone at it (It was 2nd and 12, we still had the ball at the 42). It's knowing the situation in my opinion. The Ravens weren't getting chunk yardage plays of 25 / 35 / 40 yards and I don't think that they are scoring if we end up having to punt it to them with a minute left and they have the ball at their own 15. In fact, they may just sit on it rather than force the issue and potentially give up the turnover is sloppy conditions. 

Yes, the offense did sputter at the end of that drive, but a lot of that could be due to the time left on the clock. The entire playbook is not at your disposal. 15 seconds, 10 seconds...you can't have long developing plays even if you have a timeout, which means that the Baltimore defense can cheat upward in my opinion. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think that he got caught up in a weird situation where he didn't know where to go with the drive. Personally, the minute Mostert had that 20 yard run to start the drive, putting the ball at the 45, I'm going for the points, which means that I'm probably calling timeouts right then and there if we are stopped in bounds. I mentioned at the time that I also think he was then giving up on the drive after the Manny penalty - look at the time that runs off between the Deebo catch and the Mostert run. That was a loooooooot of time, whereas I probably would have still gone at it (It was 2nd and 12, we still had the ball at the 42). It's knowing the situation in my opinion. The Ravens weren't getting chunk yardage plays of 25 / 35 / 40 yards and I don't think that they are scoring if we end up having to punt it to them with a minute left and they have the ball at their own 15. In fact, they may just sit on it rather than force the issue and potentially give up the turnover is sloppy conditions. 

Yes, the offense did sputter at the end of that drive, but a lot of that could be due to the time left on the clock. The entire playbook is not at your disposal. 15 seconds, 10 seconds...you can't have long developing plays even if you have a timeout, which means that the Baltimore defense can cheat upward in my opinion. 

But how much was time an issue when you have three timeouts? Not like they had to call plays to get out of bounds or anything. Pretty much any type of play could be called in that situation. Shanahan no doubt wanted to make sure Jackson didn't get the ball back and when Mostert broke his big run, he went for it.........Just the offense couldn't execute. No way in hell should you have five plays and gain only nine yards. That's just bad......But to me it doesnt' have much if at all to do with time when you had all three timeouts remaining. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But how much was time an issue when you have three timeouts? Not like they had to call plays to get out of bounds or anything. Pretty much any type of play could be called in that situation. Shanahan no doubt wanted to make sure Jackson didn't get the ball back and when Mostert broke his big run, he went for it.........Just the offense couldn't execute. No way in hell should you have five plays and gain only nine yards. That's just bad......But to me it doesnt' have much if at all to do with time when you had all three timeouts remaining. 

I think it could be a big issue. Like I said, I don't think that you have access to the entire playbook. I don't think that you're running any long developing plays and you have to be mindful of anything in the middle of the field just from a run off perspective (especially when you get to 10-15 seconds). You also have to avoid longer drops to avoid a penalty and a possible run off.  The offense executed largely fine on that drive until there was about 20 seconds remaining, and if the plays at that point were altered because there were only 15-20 seconds remaining that impacts a lot (obviously this becomes more crucial with each passing tick, so the later downs were subjugated even more to this issue). Like I said, Baltimore can cheat up, making it harder to complete those shorter passes. They can cheat the edges and make it stick to the middle of the field and get additional run off. Basically, at the end, I think we turtled up a bit, and we put ourselves into a position where we had to do that. 

To me, we wasted unnecessary clock time and put ourselves in a position where we had to sacrifice the end of the drive. We wasted time after the Mostert 19 yard run, and we wasted time after the Deebo catch. Between those two, I think we wasted nearly a minute. That was half the time we had to start the drive. 

Maybe it's just a personal thing, but if we have the ball at the 42 with over a minute left with 0 or 1 timeout (should have had 1 left, I believe) as opposed to 26 seconds and all three timeouts, I think that drive finishes differently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Both Kyle and Jimmy said after the game the number one goal of that drive was to run clock and not give the ball back to the Ravens. The ravens were getting the ball after the half and they didn't want to be down 3 scores before they got the ball again. 

So it wasn't bad clock management, because they managed the clock how they intended to, but you could say it was bad strategy. I would disagree with you still, but then your argument would actually be coherent xD