Week 13 GDT - Baltimore Ravens vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

43 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's a balancing act. Anyone acting like making these decisions is easy is being disingenuous. It's not easy to know the exact right thing to do in each one of these situations. In Seattle, I thought we should have opened with a run, for example, to drain some of the clock. This time we did, but then I Felt like Shanny didn't flip the switch, which is what I would have done. But it's fair to look at it critically. The situations vary considerably each and every time. 

EXXXXXCAAAAAAATLY. Once Morstert hit that run, that switch should have went from conservative to 'okay, let's go get some points here'. There is a fine line and I think Shanny is still finding his way. While I thought he should have been more conservative late in OT against the Seattle, I felt in this instance that huge chuck play on 1st down should have changed his perspective....and play-calling, to a degree.

• Like 1

This loss still irks me. I don't normally get too hung up over regular seasons losses unless its the Cowgirls or G-Men. Maybe because I feel like we outplayed them for the most part. Maybe its because when haven't beaten Baltimore in forever it seems and I don't really like losing to them. Maybe its because everyone seems to be crowing Jackson and that offense despite us pretty much holding them in check. Waaaaaaay more irked about this one than I was about Seattle. And it wasn't like I expected us to win either. Oh well...on to the Ain'ts I guess.

• Like 1

Of all the what ifs in that gm...the one I would like a do over on is the Jimmy turnover. We had the perfect start to the gm with an opening drive td and then made them punt. Even with a punt on 4th down they get the ball about their 30 yard line. Much different situation to have our defense take the field there. After the turnover they had a chance to take a deep breath.

Though the INT hurt I can kind of live with those...usually he's trying to make a play. But those in the pocket fumbles...yeah they need to stop.

• Like 2

If we did not lose this game the seahawks game would still be a must win game, we lost... we need to beat the seahawks still.  This was the better game to drop between the saints and ravens.  It sucks to lose but as a team we are a force, hopefully lesson learned and going forwards its warrior face no mercy.  Sitting at 10-1 if we lost a game this is the best game we could have lost, no faults - just nose to the grindstone going forward.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, burlow said:

If we did not lose this game the seahawks game would still be a must win game, we lost... we need to beat the seahawks still.  This was the better game to drop between the saints and ravens.  It sucks to lose but as a team we are a force, hopefully lesson learned and going forwards its warrior face no mercy.  Sitting at 10-1 if we lost a game this is the best game we could have lost, no faults - just nose to the grindstone going forward.

Agreed. I said we needed to win 2 out of the 3 during this stretch. A win against NO is still there to be had.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

This loss still irks me. I don't normally get too hung up over regular seasons losses unless its the Cowgirls or G-Men. Maybe because I feel like we outplayed them for the most part. Maybe its because when haven't beaten Baltimore in forever it seems and I don't really like losing to them. Maybe its because everyone seems to be crowing Jackson and that offense despite us pretty much holding them in check. Waaaaaaay more irked about this one than I was about Seattle. And it wasn't like I expected us to win either. Oh well...on to the Ain'ts I guess.

49ers did beat the Ravens the last time they played them four years ago. Of course, that was when both teams were terrible. :) 

The squad have just never beaten the Ravens when both teams were competitive to good level. 2003, 2011, 2012 Super Bowl, and 2019. Never won in Baltimore either. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

so from the looks of this, we should of ran a double move with someone?

It was just a bad playcall. For the life of me, why we didn't call something with some off-set motion  or jet-sweep action to bait their eyes is beyond me. I just really wish there was some play-action there and no shotgun. 4th & 3 or longer, I get it. Everyone pretty much knows its a pass-play. But with 4th and 1 the defense is on its heels because they don't know whether its run or pass. Shotgun pretty much declared our intentions. And two potential receives in the backfield....meh, not a fan of that call. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

so from the looks of this, we should of ran a double move with someone?

I don't know that you have time to do all that if they are bringing the blitz, but this is absolutely a play that needs to have some misdirection, or you can utilize the edges. Mostert was getting to the edge all day. I know that we are wary of those pitch outs, but Mostert was getting it done in this game, and if you take that snap from under center and do the pitch out with that defensive alignment, I think that you have a really good shot at getting it. If you are calling a pass play, it absolutely 100% has to involve a play action 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

It was just a bad playcall. For the life of me, why we didn't call something with some off-set motion  or jet-sweep action to bait their eyes is beyond me. I just really wish there was some play-action there and no shotgun. 4th & 3 or longer, I get it. Everyone pretty much knows its a pass-play. But with 4th and 1 the defense is on its heels because they don't know whether its run or pass. Shotgun pretty much declared our intentions. And two potential receives in the backfield....meh, not a fan of that call. 

Yeah, we could of ran that fake end-around play with a pitch. The play we ran vs the Jags three years ago and won the game for us. 

I wonder what would of happened if Juice would of ran out in the flat? does the LB still back up or does he stay and cover him?

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know that you have time to do all that if they are bringing the blitz, but this is absolutely a play that needs to have some misdirection, or you can utilize the edges. Mostert was getting to the edge all day. I know that we are wary of those pitch outs, but Mostert was getting it done in this game, and if you take that snap from under center and do the pitch out with that defensive alignment, I think that you have a really good shot at getting it. If you are calling a pass play, it absolutely 100% has to involve a play action 

Ravens were showing blitz though. Play action on 4th and 1 with Jimmy's back turned to the defense, then reset his eyes in the limited time if Ravens did blitz, could have been a complete disaster. 

Edited by PapaShogun

29 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Ravens were showing blitz though. Play action on 4th and 1 with Jimmy's back turned to the defense, then reset his eyes in the limited time if Ravens did blitz, could have been a complete disaster. 

They are always going to show blitz in that situation and they had been doing it all game. You can't run that play and it absolutely has to involve some misdirection

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

They are always going to show blitz in that situation and they had been doing it all game. You can't run that play and it absolutely has to involve some misdirection

I mean if the ball isn't knocked down, Kittle probably makes the catch over the middle so it's a moot point.

Just now, Forge said:

I don't think that was the case at all. He and all the receivers are pretty well covered

Looked to me when Jimmy released the ball, Earl Thomas didn't have the best leverage on Kittle. He had to essentially dive from behind Kittle, and maybe he gets a knockdown. No one was wide open though that's true.