Week 13 GDT - Baltimore Ravens vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

No if course its early in the game and being agressive is cool even it fails. But when the other team has a runing game like they do and with the game on the line. You have convert in that 4th down. 

So if we run and don't get it you will still be mad. So what exactly did you want Shanahan to do. Call some kind of play that will never fail?

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

4th and 2 early in the game and we pass for a 33 yard TD. 4th and 1 and we pass to Sanders and get a DPI. Again, stop overthinking this. 

Sure, and they held the Ravens to 20 points and under 300 yards. They are a great offense and best in the league, and they didn't come close to putting up their usual numbers. Maybe you just have crazy unrealistic expectations. 

It's certainly not crazy to expect a better defensive performance if we are indeed talking about an ELITE performance. Elite means the best of the best. Was this really the best defensive performance you could expect? You use hyperbolic language too often. How could an ELITE defensive performance lose the game?

This is why I don't get why some think our defense was NOT elite today. I mean 4.8 yards per play is damn good, especially against this offense. 

Again, the reason we lost was because we got three off a Jackson fumble, while they got seven off a Jimmy G fumble. Gould missed a 51 yard FG and Tucker nailed a 49 yard FG.

They took advantage of their opportunities while we didn't. Oh well, just have to respond next week.

So back to running or not running it on 4th and 1. I've said it all along, but us not being a power run team really kills in these situations. Even in the RZ we have some issues because of this. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is why I don't get why some think our defense was NOT elite today. I mean 4.8 yards per play is damn good, especially against this offense. 

Again, the reason we lost was because we got three off a Jackson fumble, while they got seven off a Jimmy G fumble. Gould missed a 51 yard FG and Tucker nailed a 49 yard FG.

They took advantage of their opportunities while we didn't. Oh well, just have to respond next week.

So back to running or not running it on 4th and 1. I've said it all along, but us not being a power run team really kills in these situations. Even in the RZ we have some issues because of this. 

It's because your definition of ELITE is incorrect. This is almost identical to our argument about Chase McLaughlin being "excellent" against Seattle despite shanking a field goal 30 miles left of the stadium.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, struby3 said:

It's certainly not crazy to expect a better defensive performance if we are indeed talking about an ELITE performance. Elite means the best of the best. Was this really the best defensive performance you could expect? You use hyperbolic language too often. How could an ELITE defensive performance lose the game?

Huh? The Ravens scored 20 points, 7 off a short field, had less than 300 yards and averaged 4.8 yards per play. Take into consideration we were playing THE best offense in the league that was averaging over 15 PPG than what they finished with today.

I don't think I am using hyperbolic language AT ALL here. I'm just curious, before the game, what were you expecting? Did you expect them to gain under 250 yards and score 10 points or something? 

It's because your definition of ELITE is incorrect. This is almost identical to our argument about Chase McLaughlin being "excellent" against Seattle despite shanking a field goal 30 miles left of the stadium.

No, I don't think my definition of elite is incorrect at all here. 

Our differences in both arguments have been that you are expecting perfection. If that is the case, sure, I am using hyperbolic language.

You go ask any Ravens fans or fans of teams all around the league and see what they say about our defensive performance today. I bet damn near all of them would say we had a great performance on that side of the field.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, I don't think my definition of elite is incorrect at all here. 

Our differences in both arguments have been that you are expecting perfection. If that is the case, sure, I am using hyperbolic language.

You go ask any Ravens fans or fans of teams all around the league and see what they say about our defensive performance today. I bet damn near all of them would say we had a great performance on that side of the field.

Are a "great performance" and "elite performance" the same thing?

HUGE shout out to Fred Warner. Allowed the TD early in the game, but my goodness was he all over the field and making big plays in the passing game. You sir have the ability to be a top level LB if you clean up on your tackling. 

#51 on the other hand? Tough game but thought he played better as they game went on. 

Spoon/Ward are just playing at an another level right now. 

Are a "great performance" and "elite performance" the same thing?

You tell me if they are the same thing to you? 

Define elite to me? Tell me a defense that has played the Ravens better during their win streak and give me your expectations from our defense in this game?