Ravens center Matt Skura out rest of season.

49erurtaza

32 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

ur tellin me a center does a lot up front for an o-line 🤔

100%. Losing a center can kill the OL. There was a really interesting article posted on here maybe like 10 years ago about the records of teams who have had to replace a center in the middle of the season. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

100%. Losing a center can kill the OL. There was a really interesting article posted on here maybe like 10 years ago about the records of teams who have had to replace a center in the middle of the season. 

Ah, yeah my comment was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek lol

This is not ideal. I don't personally believe there is much of a talent drop between Skura and the undrafted rookie replacing him, however replacing chemistry on the line and with Lamar is going to be something we need to see. Especially with the complex movements in this offense. This is also a hit to our depth at guard as well as obviously center.

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Aside from the usual responsibilities of a starting caliber center, was Skura playing well?

This year he's been surprisingly solid. Last year he was a total liability.

This is without a doubt a blow to the team, but an optimistic view would be that Patrick Mekari filled in without skipping a beat last night so hopefully he can keep that momentum rolling for us.

• Like 1

Honestly I think Mekari has higher upside. Was an elite pass blocking LT in college, but his durability and lack of length was not ideal for the edges. Really liked what I saw from him in the preseason, he sounds fired up to do whatever it takes for Lamar.

My concern isn’t talent but communication and durability. If he can be durable and our OL is able to help him with the protections, I don’t expect this to really shoot us in the foot. The depth is definitely a concern though. Can’t afford many more OL injuries. Next up would be James Hurst as a jack of all trades, but that could really mess with chemistry if Bozeman has to slide over to center.