Has a coach ever changed his scheme?

rocky_rams

In light of the Rams recent struggles, most of us fans out majority blame on McVay. 

The OL sucks and Goff is struggling but McVay put the team in that position. 

His offense has been largely figured out and has become stale. He hasn’t made the necessary adjustments and we keep seeing the same concepts. 

McVay may need to think about taking another approach toward the stale offense  

Has a coach ever changed their philosophy/concepts/scheme mostly or even entirely and proved to be successful afterwards? 

I cant think off the top of my head of any 

PS. please don’t derail this thread talking about OL and Goff. Those are different topics for a different thread 

He’ll change it in the off season, he literally has to. It’ll be the same core offense (Reid, Gruden, Kyle, Nagy, etc) but his spin and uniqueness on the offense will have to be completely revamped. 

It’s extremely stale and Goff is taking all the heat for some reason when defenses know exactly what they are doing. Exactly. It’s 70% McVay 30% Goff. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

He’ll change it in the off season, he literally has to. It’ll be the same core offense (Reid, Gruden, Kyle, Nagy, etc) but his spin and uniqueness on the offense will have to be completely revamped. 

It’s extremely stale and Goff is taking all the heat for some reason when defenses know exactly what they are doing. Exactly. It’s 70% McVay 30% Goff. 

Which I think is the fair breakdown because that is around how people allocated the success.

• Like 1

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any offensive play callers that drastically change what they do. Belichick and Carroll were mentioned but, at least in Belichick’s case, they’re not the brainchild behind the offense. NE’s focus has changed a lot over the years but I don’t think they’d qualify for what this thread is asking because they don’t really have a standard that they always abide by week-to-week.