Lamar Jackson

Slingin' Sammy

No one denies the Ravens have been able to run the ball. The Texans game was an example, where the Texans tried to cover and make Lamar pass the ball, and they couldn't stop him.

The yards from the running game is inflated by the Gus Edwards 63 yard run. Up till that, he and Lamar had an avg. above 6-7 while Ingram and Hill was below 4.

If "carving them up" is decided by a specific passing number, or based on number of passing attempts, then I don't know the rule/amount for yards/attempts. 

As a high school defensive coach, the Ravens are essentially doing from a schematic standpoint what all of us dread, and kudos to Harbaugh for going all in on Jackson.

They go double tight and can put Andrews in the slot or have him down as a solid in line blocker and make you account for the QB in the passing game. If you run man to man and can’t get interior pressure and keep him contained then you’re dead to rights.

If you run Cover 3 or 4, their TE make you susceptible in the seams.

With the rules making cover 2 or Tampa 2 virtually obsolete, that’s not an option either.

If you can win on the outside in man to man situations and have a dominant front 4 you have a solid chance. That’s why San Francisco’s game is intriguing to me and could be telling.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

All I'm trying to figure out is why Baltimore QB's always so scrutinized? 

Is Flacco Elite?

Is Jackson really this good?

Like, let us live bruh! We gonna get a Superbowl outta Jackson, too! "Beleeee Dat"

Clearly everyone should have appropriately just accepted that Flacco was elite, and stopped critiquing him.

Everyone in sports is scrutinized, until they prove to be above any possible scrutiny. And few do (we're talking like, Tom Brady, J.J. Watt, Joe Thomas type guys.) And then we wait for them to decline physically and start criticizing them again then.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Same people who wanted to write the dude off after one poor playoff showing are now complaining that people are ‘trying to put him in the HOF’ and that he’ll get figured out soon. It really is laughable. Why don't we just enjoy what he's doing.

Because he doesn't play for my team and looks like he's headed for a Super Bowl. Something I've dreamed about for the Vikings since I was 9 years old in 1988. I've seen enough Ravens winning the Super Bowl. He beat my college team and now he's going to beat the entire NFL. I hate him I hate him I hate him.

• Like 1

The same people who spent all offseason deriding Lamar as a running back and telling us he was already DOA because of the Chargers playoff game are now running around talking about how uNsUsTaInAbLe his play is how he'LL gEt fIgUrEd oUt! Why am I not surprised? And it's weird to begin with, because I had it on good authority he had already been figured out? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

Because he doesn't play for my team and looks like he's headed for a Super Bowl. Something I've dreamed about for the Vikings since I was 9 years old in 1988. I've seen enough Ravens winning the Super Bowl. He beat my college team and now he's going to beat the entire NFL. I hate him I hate him I hate him.

lol :D

He kicked the behoovies out of my patriots, and I'm going to watch them v 49ers, and if Lamar starts doing the same thing to them, I'm shutting the TV off, and taking my bottle of Grey Goose into the closet and shutting the door. [glub glub glub] I will just cry :(

10 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

The injury variable is just really not something we can predict. If you would have said in 2012 that Russell Wilson's body would hold up and Cam and Luck (who were considered to have ideal frames) would be where they are it would have sounded crazy. Russell ran more than 100 times per season his first few years and took a ton of sacks/hits behind a bad line. It's not like Lamar is going to be at double that rate. I know people give Russell a ton of credit for being smart about how he takes hits, but...

1. I'm not sure how much of that is retroactive causation fitting

2. If it is a real thing, who says Lamar can't figure out how to do that? Lamar made a tremendous leap in terms of so many aspects (mechanics, footwork, accuracy, seeing the field...) from age 21 to age 22. If and when he takes an athletic drop at some point (from being faster than cornerbacks), that can't evolve his game. He's already playing a lot differently than he did just last year. 

I also remember Big Ben being a guy who A LOT of people said he wouldn't hold up until age 30, and yet he didn't miss more than 4 games in a season until he turned 37. 

Russel Wilson is short, but very strongly built and Ben is built like a linebacker. Neither run as much as LJ. LJ is built like a "punt returner".

Of course I thought that another Jackson, Desean, that is, would never hold up at 5'10 175 in the NFL. 

So it is possible.

He is good for the NFL and hope the best for him. Just think it should be consider a natural concern given his body weight and style.