Lamar Jackson

Slingin' Sammy

11 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Most importantly; none of us are going to know anything compared to NFL DCs or coaches.

But it most likely has to be something like winning your man-coverage, winning the trench battle with their OL and then having individual responsibilities on when Lamar runs. Whether that's through strategic pass rushing and shedding (for the love of god stop rushing PAST him), or spies or something. and you MUST tackle well.

But, DCs probably believe they know HOW to, it's just whether they can or have the troops for it.

Yea, the answer is not some super secret, it’s just having your players win their matchups, especially on the line.  Some nuances and details will be different, but bottom line is that it’s hard to stop any elite QB, especially when they have a good oline.  The key to beating them is not stopping them outright, but limiting them to something you can realistically out score.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Not really. I would say Mayfield, Allen, and Darnold have all flashed. I've seen enough from Darnold to know hes good. Hes battled adversity all season, playing behind the worst OL in football with tons of injuries. Pressured more than any QB in football, no run game to lean on, a HC that seemed lost at times. Yet he marches into the office takes control of the offense as a 22 yr old and plays elite football making throws not many can and wins 3 straight on a bad football team, making the team believe. The Jets winning is usually because Darnold carries them, once they actually give him a OL and some pieces to work with and he matures more, its gonna be fun to watch. Darnold is like 4-1 when he plays with Beachum, all he needs is a little time and he can pick apart defense. I know Joe Douglas is going to address the OL this offseason, I am not worried about that. 

Look I get your optimism, and maybe Darnold continues to improve going forward, but these complaints are literally what ever fan says about their young QB's. Often times this ends up in a QB just being a bust, but time will tell. I'd certainly not say Darnold has shown to be good though.

Baker Mayfield after his early season struggles is starting to come around, hes playing much better and throws a nice ball. I think hes the man in Cleveland and will be fine, even if he was a bit overrated after his rookie season. 

He's show a little here and there, but hardly would say he's shown he can be a good QB in this league at this point in time. Still a huge unknown.

Josh Allen I am not that big of a fan of, I believe hes being carried by a great team. Has a excellent OL giving him plenty of time, great run game, and great defense. It seems more like the Bills play to have Allen not lose them games as in the beginning of the year when they asked more he was turning it over non stop. I get a Mitchell Trubisky vibe with Allen. But he is talented and has improved from year 1 to year 2. 

Yeah he hasn't been that impressive either, but has oddly enough probably played the best of the QB's being discussed. Not much of a compliment.

The only QB that has looked bad is Josh Rosen from that class.  

He sure has.

Maybe this class turns out to be great, but so far only Lamar Jackson has looked particularly impressive. Hopefully that changes for the sake of franchises like the Browns, and Jets who have had to put up with terrible football teams for far too long.

28 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

He's show a little here and there, but hardly would say he's shown he can be a good QB in this league at this point in time. Still a huge unknown.

Wait, what? I actually watch quite a bit and like him a lot. He's shown plenty. He's had bad outings like any second year QB but to write him off or say he's hardly shown the makings of a franchise QB is crazy. I think he's going to be a very good pro.

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Wait, what? I actually watch quite a bit and like him a lot. He's shown plenty. He's had bad outings like any second year QB but to write him off or say he's hardly shown the makings of a franchise QB is crazy. I think he's going to be a very good pro.

I don't anoint a guy to be a franchise QB off of draft position and couple nice outings here and there through the back end of his 2nd season. He certainly has some nice traits, but so does a guy like Winston with the Bucs, but those turnovers are still alarming.

10 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I don't anoint a guy to be a franchise QB off of draft position and couple nice outings here and there through the back end of his 2nd season. He certainly has some nice traits, but so does a guy like Winston with the Bucs, but those turnovers are still alarming.

Winston is in his 5th season. Darnold isn't even through his 2nd. That's quite a difference. He's going to turn the ball over at a high rate. The majority of young QBs do. It doesn't mean they won't be franchise caliber QBs. If Darnold turns the ball over like Winston in his 5th season, with the weapons Winston has, I'd be gravely concerned. Right now, with what he's working with in New York, what Darnold is doing is par for the course.

Anything in particular you don't like about him? I'll admit, I liked him as a prospect so I'm a bit biased.

Edited by SmittyBacall

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

We done this.

Sent Roberts/Collins on a kamikaze right into the line. It did have the desired affect of preventing the C or G get into the second level, but the Ravens then adjusted to a more lateral/sweep run gameplan, and because we'd sent the middle backer, we didn't have enough backers (plus ours are big and not as fast) to wash their lateral run away. Maybe you'd have better success with faster LBs

We didn't use a FS spy or anything though, I don't think.

I also say winning your man-to-man, not letting the OL pick their holes and having dedications on Lamar's runs. 

The problem with that strategy is that you guys have the big LBers and heavy personnel to stop the inside runs with an ILB blitz. The 49ers LBers might be more athletic but I don’t see them having the size and strength to be as effective against our TEs/FBs going downhill. And side to side I’ll bet on Lamar over just about any athlete in the league. Personally I think the Patriots defense is definitely the best defense I’ve seen this season. The 49ers defense is a serious problem, but I would still take the Bills defense over theirs. Tbqh I’m more afraid of the game against the Bills than I am of this game against the 49ers. Especially since they have a faster QB to somewhat simulate some looks. Plus they have 3 extra days of preparation.

If I were a betting man I think this offense scores at least 24 points on the 49ers defense. I don’t feel as confident about Jimmy G putting up points against our defense. Even early in the season when they were incredibly leaky they didn’t typically give up many points. With this collection of DBs though, I can’t see Jimmy G putting up more than 20 points. As long as Lamar plays mistake free football... and outside of the divisional games against the Browns and Steelers he has... I can’t see us losing this game.

On 11/27/2019 at 11:08 PM, diamondbull424 said:

1. True. But we also can pass the ball. You don’t have an elite offense unless you can do both. My point is simply that the thing that made that team so special and dominant was that Brady/Moss connection and those other weapons stacked on top of it. 

2. Correct. For now. We will see if a changing of the guard happens after this season. As it stands that’s projected to change, but still enough football left to be played.

That’s not really true though. The 2011 Packers couldn’t run the ball and they had an elite offense.

Are you making the argument because the ravens run better than those teams they can’t flame out in January?

I saw Lamar making more tight window throws in the Rams game, than I've seen other qbs make this season in multiple games combined.  He isnt a streaky passer, that's a take of someone who isnt watching games and is just repeating a lazy narrative. It isnt even a narrative backed by any statistical proof. Just a bad take. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

I saw Lamar making more tight window throws in the Rams game, than I've seen other qbs make this season in multiple games combined.  He isnt a streaky passer, that's a take of someone who isnt watching games and is just repeating a lazy narrative. It isnt even a narrative backed by any statistical proof. Just a bad take. 

Yup. I really don't understand where the "he's throwing dump offs and easy checkdowns all game" narrative comes from. He's making some really difficult throws, with some great ball placement - that's why our fan base is so excited. Obviously these kinds of stats are whatever being those "Next Gen" ones, but he's 9th in the league in having a better completion percent than what's expected based on the throws he makes.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#completionPercentageAboveExpectation 

If you watch "Baldy's Breakdowns" on twitter every week, he harps on that a lot too when he does our games...that Lamar is actually making some really impressive throws in tight windows.

1 hour ago, CP3MVP said:

That’s not really true though. The 2011 Packers couldn’t run the ball and they had an elite offense.

Are you making the argument because the ravens run better than those teams they can’t flame out in January?

I definitely think it makes it less likely to happen. Come playoff time the things that seem to travel well are great defense and a great rushing attack. Not saying the team can’t lose. But I believe if they do it won’t be because they scored 13 points. It’ll be because they dropped 20-24 points and the other team put up more. Even in the games where our offense has struggled a lot this season, the team managed to put together over 24 points. So I just find it difficult to believe the offense could struggle and score significantly less.

45 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

To be fair to that narrative. I have to imagine that started to take shape during the middle of the season. There seemed to be a few games in that Browns, Steelers, etc stretch where his mechanics weren’t as consistent as the beginning of the season and he was missing “slightly” some easier throws. But I remembered pointing out his foot mechanics and base had shrunk. Then since coming out of the bye week, his mechanics have never faltered again. Whether he’s seen pressure up the middle or around the side or wide open throws, they have been consistent and his throws have been absolute money.

I expect in the offseason him continue to drill those mechanics so that they truly lock in to his muscle memory. But as it stands they’ve seemed very much locked in.

On 11/26/2019 at 5:52 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Yea he's great, he's the MVP.

We've seen high peaks before but people love to live in the moment.  Chances are unlikely he'll sustain this level of play for a very long time.  It's a softer, more offense friendly league than ever before, so he has that going for him.  But it's hard to play at this level every year of your career.  Any number of things can slow you down, and his supporting cast will eventually get worse.  

I say enjoy it while it lasts, and hope injuries don't derail it.

Agreed.  He is very talented and is having a great season but I want to see him do it for more than just one year before anointing him anything great.  He's basically started 1 full season to this point.  That is not a lot of games.

People already saying he's better than Mahomes lol.  Not saying that can't be the case but man talk about recency bias.