Lamar Jackson

Slingin' Sammy

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Agreed.  He is very talented and is having a great season but I want to see him do it for more than just one year before anointing him anything great.  He's basically started 1 full season to this point.  That is not a lot of games.

People already saying he's better than Mahomes lol.  Not saying that can't be the case but man talk about recency bias.  

I'm not against your point, but Mahomes has only 8 more starts.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Agreed.  He is very talented and is having a great season but I want to see him do it for more than just one year before anointing him anything great.  He's basically started 1 full season to this point.  That is not a lot of games.

People already saying he's better than Mahomes lol.  Not saying that can't be the case but man talk about recency bias.  

My thing is... it’s preference between him and mahomes if we being fair... Mahomes isn’t a five year proven starter or nothing like that... they are very similarly experienced and despite the rhetoric lamar has started 19 tot games at this point in his career which is the same amount that Pat had started coming into the season... Lamar has lead the ravens to 15-4 record Mahomes lead chiefs to a 14-5 record while both playing at mvp level... they do it in different ways but the results are similar... imo it depends on ur preference as to which you would rather have 

30 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I'm not against your point, but Mahomes has only 8 more starts.

My point is that it's the flavor of the month kind of talk with these guys.  People saying Mahomes was the best young QB after killing it last season and now Lamar is the best based on this season.  Just saying people need to slow down. 

Let's see how these guys do over 2-3-4 seasons of starting. 

I took a wait and see approach to Jackson and what I have seen in November is incredible.

He is playing like playoff run Flacco/Young/Montana (13 TDs no picks and 76.2% completions (143 rating)) and running like playoff Kaep. (300 yards 3 TDs and 7.3 per run)

He has also done it to 2 of the teams he might face in the playoffs in NE and Houston.

He is MVP of November and its not close. He has also opened up a big lead on league MVP and his team belongs #1 in power rankings on record / performance / schedule.

• Like 1

Its a different game now but Mahomes, Jackson, and Watson are 3 of the best QBs to ever play through however many games they have started.

You can say hype all you want and you can point to a more open offensive game but all 3 guys have been incredible.

• Jackson is 15-3 with a 101 rating a 30 to 8 TD/INT and runs like young Vick. His career rushing yards per game is a bit higher than his RB, Ingram (58.2 to 58)
  • Mahomes is 19-7 with a 111 rating a 69 to 15 TD/INT and took his team to OT of the AFCCG last year. He does not run as much but still averages 5 a carry the last 2 years.
  • Watson is 21-12 with a 103.2 rating a 65 to 24 TD/INT and plays like a late '80s Cunnigham (include bouncing off of people to make plays)

You can hype all 3 of these guys and be right.

Garoppolo is 19-3 with a 98.9 rating a 37 to 18 TD/INT and has led his team to the best record in the league so far. Feel free to hype him too.

For comparison here is Russell Wilson through 2 seasons:

• 24-8 with a 100.6 rating a 52 to 19 TD/INT and 1028 rushing yards 5 rushing TDs at 5.4 per run.

Guys who play like young Russell Wilson get hyped.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, SkippyX said:

For comparison here is Russell Wilson through 2 seasons:

• 24-8 with a 100.6 rating a 52 to 19 TD/INT and 1028 rushing yards 5 rushing TDs at 5.4 per run.

Guys who play like young Russell Wilson get hyped.

Funny thing about Russ is that I vividly remember him having his own band of skeptics/haters too during his first couple of years in the league - people who looked at his historically great efficiency numbers and the championship contention the Seahawks vaulted in to and claimed that he was just being carried by a great running game and defense and that he wasn't proving much yet. Which was itself a repeat of what people said about Big Ben when he was first coming up in PIttsburgh. 

In general, it seems like when young QB's come up through good teams/good organizations, people are quick to want to discredit what they're doing, rather than recognizing the often historic nature of what they're doing. 

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Funny thing about Russ is that I vividly remember him having his own band of skeptics/haters too during his first couple of years in the league - people who looked at his historically great efficiency numbers and the championship contention the Seahawks vaulted in to and claimed that he was just being carried by a great running game and defense and that he wasn't proving much yet. Which was itself a repeat of what people said about Big Ben when he was first coming up in PIttsburgh. 

In general, it seems like when young QB's come up through good teams/good organizations, people are quick to want to discredit what they're doing, rather than recognizing the often historic nature of what they're doing. 

Russ was never respected until the legion of boom fell apart, and even in the season when Wilson's total yardage accounted for something like 96% of Seattle's entire offensive output he wasn't getting the recognition he deserved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

That's because in both cases, it was true. Russell Wilson today as was Ben before the injury are light years better then those first two seasons where they Won SB's. They Were carried by the Running games and Defenses.  There is no debate with that.It was valid points back then.

Now whether they eventually flipped the script and became the MVP level type QB they are now, is a moot point. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

That's because in both cases, it was true. Russell Wilson today as was Ben before the injury are light years better then those first two seasons where they Won SB's. They Were carried by the Running games and Defenses.  There is no debate with that.It was valid points back then.

Now whether they eventually flipped the script and became the MVP level type QB they are now, is a moot point. 

I wouldn’t say carried, but they are certainly better now than they were then.

What makes Lamar Jackson dangerous on the field is how he snaps and hands off the football.  It's not necessarily how he passes.  

He actually doesn't pass the football very well sometimes, but he's improved from the beginning of the season.  Sometimes, the ball floats and is behind his receivers.  

But, the opposing defense is always having to make that split second determination of who has the football.  Jackson is very talented at that.  

He can make it look so much like he's handing the ball off to Mark Ingram, when in turn he's really keeping it and going out for a bootleg.  

I don't think there's any other QB in the league who does that nearly as well.  

5 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

What makes Lamar Jackson dangerous on the field is how he snaps and hands off the football.  It's not necessarily how he passes.  

He actually doesn't pass the football very well sometimes, but he's improved from the beginning of the season.  Sometimes, the ball floats and is behind his receivers.  

But, the opposing defense is always having to make that split second determination of who has the football.  Jackson is very talented at that.  

He can make it look so much like he's handing the ball off to Mark Ingram, when in turn he's really keeping it and going out for a bootleg.  

I don't think there's any other QB in the league who does that nearly as well.  

I don't think it's the act of the fake as much as it is the threat that he'll actually keep it and run.

On 11/26/2019 at 11:45 PM, resilient part 2 said:

Unbelievable talent, no question

BUT how long can a man at that size survive before a RG3 type tackle kills him is my million dollar question.

He plays with the body of a running back tbh tho. The way he finishes runs, it’s almost like he looks for contact. Kinda like cam, even tho cam is bigger.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:59 PM, SkippyX said:

He has also done it to 2 of the teams he might face in the playoffs in NE and Houston.

I will say this. This was the first time those teams saw him and that kind of offense. Their two loses came from teams that saw him last year. Really interested to see what he does against the Steelers defense in a few weeks. Ravens still win that game but I want to know how it plays out. Same with the Browns, Still can’t believe the Browns blew the Ravens out like that. Again, I think the Ravens win again especially with Garrett suspended but I want to know how the scheme and game plan play out

18 hours ago, buno67 said:

I will say this. This was the first time those teams saw him and that kind of offense. Their two loses came from teams that saw him last year. Really interested to see what he does against the Steelers defense in a few weeks. Ravens still win that game but I want to know how it plays out. Same with the Browns, Still can’t believe the Browns blew the Ravens out like that. Again, I think the Ravens win again especially with Garrett suspended but I want to know how the scheme and game plan play out

The two games they lost this year were more about the defense than Lamar. They couldn't stop the pass or the run at that time. Lamar wasn't at a great/MVP level in the Chiefs game or particularly good in the Browns game but it wasn't like they solved him. They won on the other side and the Ravens offense couldn't keep up. Lamar's worst game was against a Steelers' team he didn't played before.

The only team he has played three times is the Bengals. He played his best game the 3rd time (after playing them 4 weeks earlier) and was as close to unstoppable as a player can be. One might say the Bengals are the worst team in the league, and insist we throw out the data point, but the Bengals defense is actually pretty middle of the pack, if you exclude that Ravens game. Only the 49ers and Ravens have put up 28+ points against them. This is a team that saw him last year, spent a whole offseason planning to stop him, saw the improved 2019 version of him... and then proceeded to have their worst game of the season against him.

So, there isn't much data to suggest playing the Ravens more than once is a huge benefit for the other team. Yet. Seeing the Browns and Steelers adjustments will be interesting to watch for sure. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 12:10 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Russ was never respected until the legion of boom fell apart, and even in the season when Wilson's total yardage accounted for something like 96% of Seattle's entire offensive output he wasn't getting the recognition he deserved.

96%?

Do if the offense did 6K, you are saying the RBs accounted for 240 yards?

on 7k, they rushed for 280 yards?