Lamar Jackson

Slingin' Sammy

42 minutes ago, Malik said:

right. you can't just project out into 10-15 years even if you find you're guy. Like Philip Rivers was the guy, but he hasn't been to any super bowls and has only been to 1 AFC Championship despite never really missing any games.

I’d rather have Patrick Mahomes for the foreseeable future vs one guaranteed SB but that QB becomes trash for the rest of his career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malik said:

right. you can't just project out into 10-15 years even if you find you're guy. Like Philip Rivers was the guy, but he hasn't been to any super bowls and has only been to 1 AFC Championship despite never really missing any games.

Well, there's truth to that, Malik, but if you were the GM of the Chargers, would you dump Rivers after 7 or 8 years because he did not deliver? One thing the Chargers had all along is a quite good QB, which is more than what half the teams can say.

Maybe they should gamble once in a while and draft someone but no way dump Rivers for some draft picks to take a chance on. That's just begging for a disaster. 

22 minutes ago, Split the Sticks said:

Well, there's truth to that, Malik, but if you were the GM of the Chargers, would you dump Rivers after 7 or 8 years because he did not deliver? One thing the Chargers had all along is a quite good QB, which is more than what half the teams can say.

Maybe they should gamble once in a while and draft someone but no way dump Rivers for some draft picks to take a chance on. That's just begging for a disaster. 

I'm not saying dump Rivers after any amount of time. I'm just saying you can't just pencil in a Super Bowl even when you hit the lottery and draft a Hall of Fame caliber QB that never misses a game.

I’d rather have Patrick Mahomes for the foreseeable future vs one guaranteed SB but that QB becomes trash for the rest of his career.

Sure. Generational talent is fantastic. The Packers have almost 30 consecutive years worth of top 10 all time QB talent and they've won as many Super Bowls as Baltimore. I'm just saying GETTING to the Super Bowl and then winning it is incredibly difficult and you can't throw that aside based off a 10-15 year projection.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, M.10.E said:

No one with a functioning brain is talking about him making the HOF right now.

He's on pace to put up one of the best season EVER by any player, so it's cool to just take a step back and recognize that. That's what separates him from the guys you listed.

Newton and Ryan have had good careers, so if Lamar ends up in that category I'll be just fine with that result. If he wins the MVP and SB, I couldn't care less what the rest of career looks like.

11 hours ago, Split the Sticks said:

Please tell me you're joking. LOL

You want the Ravs to be in the hunt in the draft in 2 years? gad.

Why would he need to be joking. YOU are the one that’s saying drafting a new QB in two years as some sort of Reductio ad Absurdum. That’s not what he said. But if he wins a SB and MVP, if the rest of his career he’s no more than a Joe Flacco level passer with legs... that’s okay... because we had Joe Flacco for a decade. If Lamar only ever ends up on Newton or Ryan’s level, that’s okay. He will have delivered on his promise to capture a SB as a man of his word. And Baltimore will have won 3 SBs in their history thanks to him. He will have ignited an excitement in this city that I personally haven’t seen since the 2000 Ravens run with that dominant defense. 2012 felt like we were defying all odds as underdogs, but 2000 felt like we were an unstoppable force. This season kind of has the same feel to it.

So no, there is no joking. Lamar has brought something special to this team. And honestly with an organization like what the Ravens have, a Matt Ryan/Cam Newton level player could potentially win you multiple SBs. But we don’t know what the future holds. We only know the present feels pretty great.

• Like 1

If Lamars play this year will be an anomaly for the rest of his career, that doesn’t mean the Ravens still can’t be successful with him in the future – they just won’t be as dominant.

Lamar took major strides with regard to his passing and understanding of the game from year 1 to year 2, and while he most likely won’t take as big strides every year going forward, we can still “afford” it. If Lamar becomes less dynamic with his legs due to age/injuries, he just might also become a more polished passer.

While the Ravens then won’t be a potential 14-2/12-4 team, we know we can win a super bowl with less.

As of right now, I still find it difficult to see how people still want to knock Lamar or point towards his incredible supporting staff which is just so much better than his competition in the MVP run.

No Ravens fans disagree that we have a dominant oline this year, that our OC has a concept that works, and that our DC along with the rest of the coaching staff and GM somehow have made this patchwork of a defense work.

But on offense the Ravens can boast Mark Andrews and Mark Ingram as the most noticeable talents with Willie Snead and Marquise Brown as the two other contributors on a consistent level.

Gus Edwards is a Lamar Jackson creation and every other player is a rotational piece. Jackson is what makes this team what it is – just as Russell Wilson, and while Wilsons tight ends isn’t as good as Andrews, people make it sound like Lockett and Metcalf aren’t good players.

I honestly believe, that so many was of the assumption that Lamar Jackson would be/should be bad in the NFL, that they try to find every excuse they can to play down his success.

Ravens fans are so active supporting defending Lamar Jackson, because we try to enjoy it while it last this season, but so many want to take that joy away from us.

I’m getting emotional here, stupid menopause

• Like 3

1st of all I wanna say that I was wrong about Lamar Jackson over all so far. I did not believe that the ravens could be in successful as they are doing what they're doing.

Here is my issue however, Lamar Jackson is pretty much the league's most recent version of RG3 however I will say that Lamar Jackson is a bit more talented however Lamar Jackson does what he does behind a much much better off ends of line then RG3 had in my opinion and if you watch these games Baltimore is plain lamaur Jackson does a really good job to make sure that hes not getting hit cleanly. RG3 got absolutely pounded as a rookie despite how much he ran the football he got here over and over again and it basically derailed his career his development process with thrown completely out the window because he was seriously injured in the playoffs or prior to that I forget when the me injury actually happened. I'm not saying that Lamar Jackson won't continue to be 6 of for what I am saying is the defenses will figure out in the future how to better defend him maybe not this season but in the off season I feel like teams make it a point just like they did with RG3 and Russell Wilson and other running quarterbacks they figure out a way to change their defense and their mentality on defense to address guys like Lamar Jackson what we are seen right now in my opinion is the peak of the Baltimore Ravens are fans of potential with Lamar Jackson leading the oftens I don't believe moving forward it will be this dominant it may still be very very good but I don't believe we will see a repeat of this even from Lamar Jackson. That doesnt mean he doesnt deserve to be celebrated this sesson.

• Like 1

Does anyone else feel as though Lamar is peaking right now? I see some people say that he's only going to get better, citing his age and potential as a passer, but I don't really buy into that. Mostly because he's playing so incredibly well at the moment, it would be difficult to sustain this year to year without a litany of other variables affecting his game. Kind of the same thing last year with Mahomes. I'm not saying I think he falls of significantly, just that he will come back down to Earth a bit from this ridiculous peak he's on right now. Thoughts?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Does anyone else feel as though Lamar is peaking right now? I see some people say that he's only going to get better, citing his age and potential as a passer, but I don't really buy into that. Mostly because he's playing so incredibly well at the moment, it would be difficult to sustain this year to year without a litany of other variables affecting his game. Kind of the same thing last year with Mahomes. I'm not saying I think he falls of significantly, just that he will come back down to Earth a bit from this ridiculous peak he's on right now. Thoughts?

I think he is peaking right now. I dont know that there is going to be a great deal of improvement I feel that what you see right now is what you're gonna get.  There doesn't have to be a bad thing but I do feel that way and I don't think that hes just gonna fall off a cliff by I don't think that we're going to see him make some sort of huge improvement as a passenger I believe that is best chance for success as a quarterback in the NFL it's for Baltimore to keep figuring out a way to allow him to do what he is currently doing

13 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

He could be peaking right now. Injury free, the oline is great, DC's are still trying to adjust to figure out what works against him the best, he and the rest of the team are completely bought in.

Next year, we could lose Yanda which would hurt our oline. Roman could leave and we would have to find someone who can tailor the scheme and playcalling to the same level. And then there is the whole "he could be injured, arms and legs falling off". 

Right now we know that Lamars ability to run the ball is a major reason he is having such a record breaking season. I don't think it is a stretch to think he could somewhat replicate what he is doing, if his supporting cast is the same or even improved. 18 og 21 players on offense are signed through 2020 I believe and the receiving core concists of 2 rookies which both could improve and upgrades to Seth Roberts, Chris Moore, Justice Hill could be found.

10 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Statistically, for him and for his team's offense? Probably. Though if he remains elite in quality of play it'll hardly matter. Production wise, you could easily argue that Marino peaked in 84, Peyton in 2004, Brady in 2007, etc. It takes the stars to align a little bit to have an MVP type statistical season, and an elite season as a team offense. But if he continues to play as an elite QB you can at least maintain a top tier team and offense long term.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Statistically, for him and for his team's offense? Probably. Though if he remains elite in quality of play it'll hardly matter. Production wise, you could easily argue that Marino peaked in 84, Peyton in 2004, Brady in 2007, etc. It takes the stars to align a little bit to have an MVP type statistical season, and an elite season as a team offense. But if he continues to play as an elite QB you can at least maintain a top tier team and offense long term.

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned. Production-wise.

Lamar had early success with a more limited offense his rookie season (going 6-1). He still worked and developed his passing game significantly before year 2. So, the idea that early success with a lot of running will stop him from keep him from developing has only been false so far. RG3 never improved as a pocket passer from his rookie year. Lamar, in the only offseason he's had, did. So again, there isn't any realized data that he is on an RG3 trajectory.

The Ravens and Lamar are scoring at a rate currently second only to the 2007 Pats. Those type of extreme seasons do not get replicated and definitely should not be expected. The same may be true for not seeing a better statistical production season from Mahomes than his second year. So, saying Lamar might never be the greatest fantasy QB again is certainly reasonable and even probable.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

What if Mahomes never wins a Super Bowl but Lamar wins one this year?

I'll take a Kurt Warner run over a Dan Marino one anyday of the week for my team.  Winning just one Super Bowl means more than getting close for a lot more years. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, VanS said:

What if Mahomes never wins a Super Bowl but Lamar wins one this year?

I'll take a Kurt Warner run over a Dan Marino one anyday of the week for my team.  Winning just one Super Bowl means more than getting close for a lot more years. 

The guy said if Lamar wins MVP/a SB this season, he wouldn’t care about the rest of his career. So if it’s between A) Patrick Mahomes for the foreseeable future, or B) one guaranteed championship followed by years of trash, then I’m definitely taking option A. 

It wasn’t a Lamar Jackson comment, more so a hypothetical. Your question doesn’t really make sense within that scope.