Lamar Jackson

Slingin' Sammy

The main thing I was disappointed about with Lamar's performance against Tennessee and what he needs to improve most on this offseason was his lack of leadership. When the Titans went up 14-0 I expected Lamar to be walking around the sidelines getting guys pumped up. Instead he looked dejected and more concerned about the backlash and criticism that would come with another playoff loss. Thats not a winning mindset. I've read Lamar keeps stock of everyone thats ever doubted him. He should probably just stop caring about the doubters and lock in and focus on whatever will lead to playoff success, not praise.

One easy thing he could do is stop mentioning the super bowl so much. He mentions it every chance he gets and it rubs off on his teammates. Dude, every one wants to win the super bowl. One day at a time.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kirill said:

The main thing I was disappointed about with Lamar's performance against Tennessee and what he needs to improve most on this offseason was his lack of leadership.

As a fan, how you do gauge "leadership'? I never understood this. 

None of us are in the locker rooms or attending meetings so how do you know? The only thing we can go on is based on interviews with other players and coaches, and most of those types of conversations can be foggy too.

• Like 2

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

None of us are in the locker rooms or attending meetings so how do you know? The only thing we can go on is based on interviews with other players and coaches, and most of those types of conversations can be foggy too.

I know it when I see it. Some dudes are just leaders and others aren't or are more of the "lead by being talented" type. But as QB in the NFL if you're obsessed with winning a super bowl should probably belong to the former. Lamar's body language didn't look good to me at all in this game. I didn't see a leader. Mahomes is a good example of a dude who just gets it, but he had the good fortune of being surrounded by pro athletes and practically raised by them in an MLB lockerroom. I still think you can learn to be a leader when you're older, and that should be Lamar's #1 focus this offseason.

4 minutes ago, Kirill said:

I know it when I see it. Some dudes are just leaders and others aren't or are more of the "lead by being talented" type. But as QB in the NFL if you're obsessed with winning a super bowl should probably belong to the former. Lamar's body language didn't look good to me at all in this game. I didn't see a leader. Mahomes is a good example of a dude who just gets it, but he had the good fortune of being surrounded by pro athletes and practically raised by them in an MLB lockerroom. I still think you can learn to be a leader when you're older, and that should be Lamar's #1 focus this offseason.

This doesn't answer my question. How do you gauge leadership from a television (since it was the main focal point of your post)? Is there some sort of prerequisite that a player needs to obtain the title of being a leader or what?

Sorry, but saying "I know it when I see it" and " I didn't see a leader" only confirms what I initially thought in the first place and that's you, like many others who use the word "leadership" to loosely, just trying to sound smart. Nothing personal. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

This doesn't answer my question. How do you gauge leadership from a television (since it was the main focal point of your post)? Is there some sort of prerequisite that a player needs to obtain the title of being a leader or what?

Sorry, but saying "I know it when I see it" and " I didn't see a leader" only confirms what I initially thought in the first place and that's you, like many others who use the word "leadership" to loosely, just trying to sound smart. Nothing personal. 

Not sure what you're looking for. This sort of analysis goes beyond the excel spreadsheet. But if you're good at it like me, you can have very good predictive success with it.

Ravens seemed to be frontrunners and I think some of that rubbed off on Jackson who was unnecessarily criticized by many during and after the draft process. He proved to be a dynamic player who will give teams headaches even with his limitations as a pocket passer. However the whole “not bad for a running back or wide receiver” thing was running its course. You proved you belonged, you won MVP now continue to do the work but adversity hit in this game and his weaknesses were at the forefront but he fought even though he did seem to go into his shell a bit on the sideline when things weren’t going their way. Quarterbacks should do their best to have the same approach win or lose, ahead or behind, etc...Lamar will learn from it, hopefully.

Edited by KingOfTheDot
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Not sure what you're looking for. This sort of analysis goes beyond the excel spreadsheet. But if you're good at it like me, you can have very good predictive success with it.

You claim you are supposedly good at "predictive analysis", yet you cant even explain your analysis or answer a question about it?  

Saying "I can just see it" is just a cop out to avoid answering questions.  Youre certainly within your right to hold that opinion, and hell, you may be right, but stop acting like this is based on some in depth personality analysis youve done on him.

I am not trying to be mean here, but the fact is, you spent the entire gameday thread trolling Lamar, and I dont think Ive seen you make a single post that wasnt a negative comment about him, and none of it has been constructive criticism.

• Like 10

Never chose a nationally televised game to have the worst game of your season. People always act like the preceeding 16 went the same way. 

The biggest issue Jackson had was that he couldn't beat what the Titans were pushing him to do. They dared him to deliver to the sideline and he couldn't do it. 

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This isn’t me being a jerk.

What type of QB does Lamar want to be?

What type of QB does Baltimore want him to be?

These 2 questions are going to lead to conflicts.

Jerk.

Seriously though, I think youre overthinking this.

He is a young QB who was in over his head tonight.  The Ravens run defense, receivers and coaching were all pretty abysmal vs the Titans, and werent prepared for what the Titans had to throw at them.

The Ravens want him to be the QB he was all year.   He has to grow in certain areas.  He made huge strides from year 1 to 2.     A bad playoff game as a 23 year old QB isnt exactly abnormal.   Feels like he and the Ravens bought too much into their own hype after dominating the regular season.  That falls on coaching. 

Bottom line, Lamar is young and has some areas he needs to improve in.  At this point, I dont think it really goes any deeper than that.  

• Like 1

There is some garbage time stats from last night, but people thinking Lamar had a bad game didn't see the game then. He had a stupid interception and a fumble, but other than that he did all he could to keep the Ravens alive without help from most of his teammates. Several receiver drops stalled drives, and he had no running game.

Most QB's suffer under those circumstances and Lamar was still able to produce both with his arm and his legs.

Most of what is going on regarding Lamar in general is just trolling, as people knowingly use wrong stats and pick apart plays and calls him a running back. I don't know what it is about him, but I have also seen a lot of comments here and other places where people want him to get hit and get hurt so he stops running. I assume it is because people have high thoughts about their ability to scout NFL prospects, and they didn't think Lamar could cut it, so now they hope he fails.

• Like 3

There’s a reason why you have to watch the games. 20 years from now people are going look at the boxscore claim Lamar played well tonight, and  because of raw total yardage. But but 350 and 100

I mean some people are already doing this online

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

2 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Not looking like you’re about to cry is a start

4 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Not looking like you’re about to cry is a start

Lol this is some phrenology *** stuff right here.

You can't read body language, you can't judge another human being you literally have never met and likely will never meet through a TV set. It's insane that fans ever think they understand the intangibles part of the game and how confident some are in projecting it. You have no idea who Lamar Jackson is as a person or a teammate. Stop pretending that you do, it's the height of pretension and arrogance to think that from the comfort of your couch.

• Like 2