Lamar Jackson

Slingin' Sammy

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Neither is posting some other guys’ tweets that show raw statistics, but here we are.

I have no opinion on whether or not Jackson or anything the Ravens are doing is sustainable because no one has any clue whether it will or won’t. Thing is - at least the pessimistic group has loads and loads of NFL history to lean on.

I don't know what you are referring to. No one has posted a tweet with raw statistics in this entire thread.

You can make analysis and distinctions based on statistics. There is no insight in saying a professional athlete will eventually not be a good professional athlete. That's going to be true until the have robots playing the game. 

Chiefs night actually be Baltimore’s worst matchup. They will hardly even attempt to stop the Ravens offense. They will just score quick score often and hopefully keep Baltimore playing from behind. The answer to stopping Baltimore’s offense may be more 90’s Bills no huddle offense then trying to gameplan against Lamar’s threat to run. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I don't know what you are referring to. No one has posted a tweet with raw statistics in this entire thread.

Who said this thread? My comment was directed at Smitty. Hard to keep track of all the Lamar threads, you know? 

You can make analysis and distinctions based on statistics. There is no insight in saying a professional athlete will eventually not be a good professional athlete. That's going to be true until the have robots playing the game. 

It’s going to be true, yet we still have posts trying to argue his sustainability. 

And the thread literally asks how long he can keep it up for, if this is the going to be the norm, etc. People post their opinions on a largely unprovable topic, and those opinions “lack insight”. Funny.

The 2018 QB draft class is turning out to being pretty good.

THing with Jackson is hes 1 injury away from being ineffective (AKA RG3). If he did not have his legs, his game would be considered mediocre. His special traits are his legs, his ability to slice a defense up with his feet. 

Now he may never get injured, he may get injured, that isn't the point. I just have seen very little from Jackson as a passer that would make me believe hes a top tier thrower. I don't carewhat the stats say, hes mostly throwing basic throws that are opened up due to a dominant run game. Jackson won't always have the best OL in football, won't always have Greg Roman. He'll probably be good, but this season probably will never be repeated. And defenses usually catch on in the NFL. All it takes is 1 team to expose and find that solution. 

We shall see if this guy can lead them in the playoffs to the SB. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

Chiefs night actually be Baltimore’s worst matchup. They will hardly even attempt to stop the Ravens offense. They will just score quick score often and hopefully keep Baltimore playing from behind. The answer to stopping Baltimore’s offense may be more 90’s Bills no huddle offense then trying to gameplan against Lamar’s threat to run. 

I actually think this is a really good point. The level to which Lamar and this team has evolved to,  I don't think there really is a defense that can beat them. Like, even if we were to see the Chargers again - with the same personnel as from the playoff game, I have no doubt the Ravens would smoke them a second time around. The best way to stop this team is to simply score more points than them and force them to play from behind. Looking around the league, the only team I would trust to legitimately have a shot at doing that is the Chiefs. Saints are in the discussion, but I believe the Ravens have the personnel in the secondary to take Michael Thomas out of the game, or at least limit him. The Chiefs on the other hand with freaks like Hill, Hardman, Kelce, McCoy, and of course Mahomes. Yeah, that is the one team I am hoping we can avoid in the playoffs.

26 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

The 2018 QB draft class is turning out to being pretty good.

THing with Jackson is hes 1 injury away from being ineffective (AKA RG3). If he did not have his legs, his game would be considered mediocre. His special traits are his legs, his ability to slice a defense up with his feet. 

Now he may never get injured, he may get injured, that isn't the point. I just have seen very little from Jackson as a passer that would make me believe hes a top tier thrower. I don't carewhat the stats say, hes mostly throwing basic throws that are opened up due to a dominant run game. Jackson won't always have the best OL in football, won't always have Greg Roman. He'll probably be good, but this season probably will never be repeated. And defenses usually catch on in the NFL. All it takes is 1 team to expose and find that solution. 

We shall see if this guy can lead them in the playoffs to the SB. 

Unless I'm forgetting someone so far only 1 QB has looked good from that draft. Maybe Mayfield, Allen, and Darnold elevate their game though going forward, but still too early to tell if they are going to be franchise QB's for their teams.

He's definitely playing better than I ever expected him to. Entering the league, I viewed him as a guy who could have moments of playing really well but also have some low lows. Right now he hasn't had any legit lows besides maybe the Chargers game and a couple of mediocre games here and there.

He's gotten better as a passer, but I still don't view him as being anything great in that regard. I've watched plenty of Ravens games both this year and last, and I can't recall him making many truly tough throws. But that's partly due to Baltimore's fantastic coaching, where they seem to excel at scheming guys open and giving Lamar an easy completion... you know, coaching to your QB's strengths (what a strange concept), something I and many Browns fans have complained about at times this year with Baker and our coaching staff. Still, Jackson's passing skills - at this point anyway - are good enough when defenses have to account for his ability to run the ball. With that said, he could improve as a passer OR teams could start to figure him out. It's still really, really early into his career.

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

This is basically what we did in the matchup earlier this season against them. We scored on 4/5 drives in the first half, and it reached the point where Baltimore had to decide whether to start playing like a team that was behind, or stick to their guns and run it. They stuck with their gameplan for awhile, but the 5 to 6 minute successful drives were borderline wins for us with how much time came off the clock, and they had to eventually switch to hurry up in the end, when it was too late.

Still easier said than done though. That's not a bad defense, and even we started stalling on O in the second half. And it's still contingent on them starting slow, to an extent. If it's a 20-20 shootout at half time, they'll just stick to their gameplan.

I actually think Houston had an opportunity to do this early on, as the Ravens did struggle on their first two drives, by Houston couldn't get anything going on O either.

5 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

That's not my point, but that was funny. You just see a whole bunch of is this sustainable? Is Lamar Vick? Is Lamar Mahommes?

Where is all these threads comparing Mahommes to Brady and Rodgers, Ben, etc.

Will Watson surpass Montana or compare him to Jimmy G. The point I was making is that its like 1,000 Lamar comparison threads and I just found it funny. But I get it I guess. Its better that he's the talk of the town for these reasons than him being talked about being cut or the worst QB in football.

These topics for Mahomes were all over the forum, Twitter, ESPN, etc. a year ago, when he was the news. It was a season and offseason of threads and arguments about if he could sustain the level of play, how much and when would he drop off, was his MVP season comparable to Marion's early season, how does he compare to early Rodgers and early Marino, is he better or worse than Brees (this one was all over the place with the MVP debate), etc. Those arguments happened, that criticism happened. For the few true Mahomes haters, those arguments are still happening. So even if Jackson repeats next year, I can tell you, there will be holdouts saying he was never good in the first place. But for most, the rankings and opinions on Mahomes have settled as he continued to look like Mahomes this year, so there's less to fight about there, now.

You just notice these things more with Jackson as a Ravens fan. I noticed them more last year with Mahomes as a Chiefs fan. But they happen with anyone who blows up like this. And the truth is, there's good reason for it. A lot of players explode and then fade away. Sometimes for obvious reasons, sometimes for less obvious ones. So the kind of football fans that are going to be on a forum like this, in particular, have been trained to be skeptical, and are just naturally going to look for why things won't stay the way that they are.

3 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Lamar Jackson will get figured out. Every scheme does that’s why the Patriots are the only team with consistently sustained success because they adjust. Payton has started to do it in New Orleans.

Saints have sustained high level of offensive play since 2006.  There have been highs and lows, but the lows have never been outside the top 10, and usually never outside the top 3-5.  The current Saints offense is one of the worst I've seen in a while, and yet they still were ranked ~15th points per drive under Bridgewater, and 7th under Brees.  

50 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Saints have sustained high level of offensive play since 2006.  There have been highs and lows, but the lows have never been outside the top 10, and usually never outside the top 3-5.  The current Saints offense is one of the worst I've seen in a while, and yet they still were ranked ~15th points per drive under Bridgewater, and 7th under Brees.  

There are definitely some consistents in this league. A Payton or Reid offense is going to be at worst a decent one.