Lamar Jackson

Slingin' Sammy

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Clearly everyone should have appropriately just accepted that Flacco was elite, and stopped critiquing him.

Everyone in sports is scrutinized, until they prove to be above any possible scrutiny. And few do (we're talking like, Tom Brady, J.J. Watt, Joe Thomas type guys.) And then we wait for them to decline physically and start criticizing them again then.

That's not my point, but that was funny. You just see a whole bunch of is this sustainable? Is Lamar Vick? Is Lamar Mahommes?

Where is all these threads comparing Mahommes to Brady and Rodgers, Ben, etc.

Will Watson surpass Montana or compare him to Jimmy G. The point I was making is that its like 1,000 Lamar comparison threads and I just found it funny. But I get it I guess. Its better that he's the talk of the town for these reasons than him being talked about being cut or the worst QB in football.

8 hours ago, Danand said:

If you go watch the Texans game, you will see, at they wanted to make him beat them from the pocket. They rushed 4 and kept 7 in coverage and Lamar carved them up in the passing game.

If you want to see how to contain him, see how the Steelers did it with 4 rushers. Now the thing is many many many don't understand, is that when a defense can rush with 4 and provide pressure, that is a QB killer for every single QB, not just Lamar.

This is only partially true... Hollywood doesn’t get hurt We blow the Steelers out the water too... not to mention we turned the ball over more in that game than almost all our other games combined... two of which shouldnt even have counted... if week 17 matters to us y’all gon get to see.. they ain’t stop us it was perfect storm fluke... 

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Everyone in sports is scrutinized, until they prove to be above any possible scrutiny. And few do (we're talking like, Tom Brady, J.J. Watt, Joe Thomas type guys.) And then we wait for them to decline physically and start criticizing them again then.

Bingo. There are very few players who are above scrutiny, across all sports.

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Yep. It's pretty clear the "he can't throw" camp has just morphed into the "he's overhyped" and "he'll get figured out or injured" camp, in hopes that if the latter happens that will somehow validate their hilariously incorrect original takes.

Preseason I compared him to A young Steve McNair. I will happily admit I was wrong and he is better then McNair ever was. I knocked him on his throwing consistently in the preseason because last season he’d make some huge throws and then follow it up by some really bad ones. His one season progression is amazing. Would like to see him start to slide or take the ball out of bounds and avoid some of those hits though. He’s running right now like if he doesn’t score the team will fall into black hole. 

• Like 2

So, I watched the Rams/Ravens game and it was particularly interesting to see how Lamars run threat altered the Rams' defense.

It looked like most of the night, the Rams were running zone coverage. Which seemed to allow a TE to cut across the field and get between two defenders with 3-5 yards on either side, quite frequently. And to stop Donald, the Ravens double teamed him all night long (which is what everyone does against Donald.)

It really seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario when playing the Ravens. If you run man-to-man, Lamar/Ingram is going to run it, and hard at that. The o-line seems really good about opening things up. So if you run zone, you're giving up short passes to huge TE who can break 1 defender tackles and pick up 5-15 yards a throw.

For all of those out there that are playbook-minded, how do you stop their attack? I keep seeing people say he will get figured out but nobody will explain anything beyond that.

Edited by lolsurebro
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Let's talk about John Harbaugh and Greg Roman. These guys actually said to each other, "let's design an offense that fits our QB's skills." Why is this such a foreign concept to so many coaches?

Because it takes an elite talent to design an offense around. Not a lot of QB prospects have an elite aspect that you can do that with. In the 2018 draft Lamar had his elite athleticism, Baker had elite accuracy, and Allen had an elite cannon. I would say the Bills have designed a system around Allen’s strengths as well.

3 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Going further back, If you told me the 2007 Patriots  would score 35 combined points in the AFC title game and Super Bowl I would’ve laughed in your face. Same thing with the 2010,2011,2012 offenses in their last games.

That’s  just how the nfl is 

Only difference is there attack was an air attack. When things get colder passing becomes more difficult. But running is what generally becomes more prominent. The Ravens offensive attack is based on a strong rushing game already. But perhaps you’re right. I just find it hard to believe they won put up at least 20-25 points considering what they bring to the table.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

As others have eluded to, Patrick Mahomes is still insane. Kyle Shanahan's offense is still really good. Cam Newton dragged a lifeless Panthers team for years until his shoulder gave out.

That tweet is particularly bad.

Yea, basically don't draft QBs if you don't think Cam Newton has been a success. The only QB drafted in the last 10 years who has brought more overall value to a team is Russell Wilson. 

Speaking of Wilson, when he was Lamar's current age, he was completing less than 60% of his passes at NC State and about to be forced to transfer out in favor of Mike Glennon. I think a career projection of a 22 YO is pretty wild speculation.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

As others have eluded to, Patrick Mahomes is still insane. Kyle Shanahan's offense is still really good. Cam Newton dragged a lifeless Panthers team for years until his shoulder gave out.

That tweet is particularly bad.

Those offenses got owned in the postseason. That’s the point. 

Nfl history is filled with high scoring offenses that looked “unstoppable” in November that flamed out in January. Trust me I know more than anybody on this 

34 minutes ago, lolsurebro said:

So, I watched the Rams/Ravens game and it was particularly interesting to see how Lamars run threat altered the Rams' defense.

It looked like most of the night, the Rams were running zone coverage. Which seemed to allow a TE to cut across the field and get between two defenders with 3-5 yards on either side, quite frequently. And to stop Donald, the Ravens double teamed him all night long (which is what everyone does against Donald.)

It really seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario when playing the Ravens. If you run man-to-man, Lamar/Ingram is going to run it, and hard at that. The o-line seems really good about opening things up. So if you run zone, you're giving up short passes to huge TE who can break 1 defender tackles and pick up 5-15 yards a throw.

For all of those out there that are playbook-minded, how do you stop their attack? I keep seeing people say he will get figured out but nobody will explain anything beyond that.

Chargers had success last year running dime/quarter against the Ravens offense. Their offensive line had a very poor game though and without a Derwin James caliber safety I don’t know how you get away with covering the TE. I also question the repeatability of that game since the Ravens offense has changed since last year. 

I think a team like Carolina back during the Julius Peppers zone blitzes days could be the right answer but again without a Peppers type player that can drop into coverage to confuse the defensive look I think you’re in trouble. 

That was a Wade Phillips defense the Ravens beat so there isn’t an easy answer. Im sure Belichick has something special drawn up for the playoffs at this point but outside of that game I don’t think we’re going to see an answer for the Ravens offense. Who’d have thought we’d ever be asking how to stop a Baltimore offense?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Only difference is there attack was an air attack. When things get colder passing becomes more difficult. But running is what generally becomes more prominent. The Ravens offensive attack is based on a strong rushing game already. But perhaps you’re right. I just find it hard to believe they won put up at least 20-25 points considering what they bring to the table.

We could run the ball fine that year, it still didn’t matter, Passing is way more important anyway. And that’s the GOAT NFL offense.

Same thing, if you told people in November of 2007 what would happen in the Super Bowl they would question your knowledge of the sport.

7 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

Their offensive line had a very poor game though

He nailed the Chargers game. Their front 7 owned our OL.

But that's how you beat any offense/QB. Get pressure with the least amount of people.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

We all know Lamar is ridiculously good, but can I nitpick and say his ball placement on a lot of throws are just 'meh'?

You can’t even say we don’t know if this is sustainable without getting 5 replies on how this’ll last forever. 

Now you dare question his ball placement???