mdonnelly21

Who ya got?   

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to win this weekend?

• Ravens
    • 49ers

21 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

lol?

This reminds me of that time Andrew Luck threw like 5 INT's in a game and lost and the take after was something like "Aside from the interceptions, Andrew Luck was the better QB today".

The Niners outplayed the Ravens - yards, yards per play, passing, running, 3rd down conversions - but lost. They missed a FG, Ravens made a FG. When you consider all the things that were in the Ravens favor - home field, start time, weather - my conclusion seems logical. Actual outcomes of games can be fluky - but how the teams play tells us more. The team that plays better loses from time to time in the NFL, so it's not like this is the first time it's happened. I was just surprised the Ravens were outplayed. For some more context, it was the first time the Ravens had been beaten in yards per play since their game against the Steelers two months ago, and the first time at home since the Browns game - and I think we can all agree that the Ravens were not the best team in the NFL for those two games, but are up there now. So pretty impressive what the Niners were able to do.

I think a better comparison would be: "Andrew Luck was the better QB, but the team lost today" - if you want to try to roll with the same type of metaphor.

Not to get onto a soap box, but if this type of situation happened in college football, I would move the Niners ahead of the Ravens in a top 25 poll. Nobody treats college football this way, but I feel like the home field advantage is so critical in college and for a few NFL teams and situations (and this was one of them), that if the losing team outplays the winning team I would ask myself this question: who would have won on a neutral field. For this game, the Niners, no doubt in my mind. So to me, they are the better team after watching this game.

The game the Ravens won Sunday is an outlier for them - they've mostly been dominant, but this has been the Seahawks season week in and week out though, and eventually it will catch up to them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

The Niners outplayed the Ravens - yards, yards per play, passing, running, 3rd down conversions - but lost. They missed a FG, Ravens made a FG. When you consider all the things that were in the Ravens favor - home field, start time, weather - my conclusion seems logical. Actual outcomes of games can be fluky - but how the teams play tells us more. The team that plays better loses from time to time in the NFL, so it's not like this is the first time it's happened. I was just surprised the Ravens were outplayed. For some more context, it was the first time the Ravens had been beaten in yards per play since their game against the Steelers two months ago, and the first time at home since the Browns game - and I think we can all agree that the Ravens were not the best team in the NFL for those two games, but are up there now. So pretty impressive what the Niners were able to do.

I think a better comparison would be: "Andrew Luck was the better QB, but the team lost today" - if you want to try to roll with the same type of metaphor.

Not to get onto a soap box, but if this type of situation happened in college football, I would move the Niners ahead of the Ravens in a top 25 poll. Nobody treats college football this way, but I feel like the home field advantage is so critical in college and for a few NFL teams and situations (and this was one of them), that if the losing team outplays the winning team I would ask myself this question: who would have won on a neutral field. For this game, the Niners, no doubt in my mind. So to me, they are the better team after watching this game.

The game the Ravens won Sunday is an outlier for them - they've mostly been dominant, but this has been the Seahawks season week in and week out though, and eventually it will catch up to them.

again - lol.

Just now, M.10.E said:

So the Ravens played bad and won? Imagine if we play how we normally do. Oh baby, 35-17.

That's not what he is saying at all. He is saying that they were out played and won. Outplayed, as in, the other team played better. 

I hope we play again. Niners defense will be better prepared for the option football. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

That's not what he is saying at all. He is saying that they were out played and won. Outplayed, as in, the other team played better. 

I hope we play again. Niners defense will be better prepared for the option football. 

It was a joke. The game came down to the Ravens making plays in the 4th  (and on 4th) while the Niners didn't.

Edited by M.10.E

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

Fine, whatever. We still won despite being "outplayed", so I guess that means next time we'll straight up demolish y'all if we play better? Like, I'm still not sure how you can spin that to be a positive for SF lol

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

You weren't prepared for it this week? It's not like we ran something new lol but we'll also be more prepared for the outside runs and slants so I mean it goes both ways.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You weren't prepared for it this week? It's not like we ran something new lol but we'll also be more prepared for the outside runs and slants so I mean it goes both ways

I wouldn't say we weren't prepared, but option football is hard to defend with only 1 week of prep. If we play again we will have 2 weeks of prep as well as actual experience against you and there is no discounting what actual experience. 

We had a few very young players that were not getting many snaps before this game play a lot. Those guys missed a lot of their assignments in the option game. Those players probably won't play next time and if they do they will be better prepared. 

Kyles offense is multiple and if you overcompensate for the outside plays we will beat you in other ways. It's a tried and true scheme in the NFL. Can't say the same for the offense you guys run, but that doesn't mean I'm not a believer in Jackson or whatever, just that an option team has never dominated for longer than a season or two in the NFL. Your team feels different because Jackson has done damage through the air for certain

• Like 1

I guess I'm just not understanding how someone could watch that game and think one team looked better than the other or one team outplayed the other? More yards is one thing, but really the game came down to a few plays that the Ravens were able to make, and the Niners were not able to make. That's it. No need to look too much into it. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

lol?

This reminds me of that time Andrew Luck threw like 5 INT's in a game and lost and the take after was something like "Aside from the interceptions, Andrew Luck was the better QB today".

Oh god, the Luck stans that weren't even Colts fans. I think that guy was an Eagles fan too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I guess I'm just not understanding how someone could watch that game and think one team looked better than the other or one team outplayed the other? More yards is one thing, but really the game came down to a few plays that the Ravens were able to make, and the Niners were not able to make. That's it. No need to look too much into it. 

Nailed it. Dead even going into the last two drives. Niners didn't get 4th and 1. Ravens then held the ball for the last 6 min, converted many 3rd and 4th downs and got into FG range.

Edited by M.10.E

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Completely agreed.