Minnesota Vikings @ Seattle Seahawks -- Week 13

showtime

A battle between the two wildcard teams.  The Vikings are coming off of their bye week and have won six of their last seven games.  Even though their passing offense seems to be ranked in the middle of the pack, they have one of the scariest receiving duos in the NFL.  The last time the Seahawks faced a top receiving duo was vs the Buccaneers a few weeks ago where Mike Evans had a great game.  Dalvin Cook has been great this season and I'm assuming the Vikings have a top five rushing offense in the entire league.  The Seahawks defense has played better as the season has gone on and trades such as the Quandre Diggs trade have helped a lot.  The Vikings, again, have one of the top defenses in the league in terms of points per game allowed, so this could be a tough matchup.  I haven't followed them closely this season, so I'm not too sure the type of problems their defense creates for Seattle's offense.  This should be a great game and CenturyLink Stadium will be rocking.

In Diggs' two starts, the Seahawks have allowed just two offensive touchdowns (one in each game), they've posted eight sacks and generated eight takeaways. That's no coincidence.

"He's a true redline to redline (player)," Bobby Wagner said. "He's fast enough – if they try to throw it over his head on a corner – he's fast enough to get there. I think that gives everybody confidence. Everybody trusts him. He's been a great addition to us."

https://sports.yahoo.com/analysis-why-quandre-diggs-single-173007409.html

11 hours ago, showtime said:

A battle between the two wildcard teams.  The Vikings are coming off of their bye week and have won six of their last seven games.  Even though their passing offense seems to be ranked in the middle of the pack, they have one of the scariest receiving duos in the NFL.  The last time the Seahawks faced a top receiving duo was vs the Buccaneers a few weeks ago where Mike Evans had a great game.  Dalvin Cook has been great this season and I'm assuming the Vikings have a top five rushing offense in the entire league.  The Seahawks defense has played better as the season has gone on and trades such as the Quandre Diggs trade have helped a lot.  The Vikings, again, have one of the top defenses in the league in terms of points per game allowed, so this could be a tough matchup.  I haven't followed them closely this season, so I'm not too sure the type of problems their defense creates for Seattle's offense.  This should be a great game and CenturyLink Stadium will be rocking.

You have got it wrong about Vikings offense... just by raw passing numbers, Vikings pass offense might look like it's middle of the pack because Vikings haven't thrown as much as other teams...but the Vikings passing offense is Top3 in league efficiency wise...whereas rush offense is around 8-10 range efficiency wise. It's the Vikings pass offense that's been clicking big time over the last 2 months despite Thielen missing most of the last 5 games.

Vikings also don't have a top defense anymore. The pass defense has been poor over the last 2 months..rush defense is good but the secondary and pass defense have been a big issue this season... Wilson is most probably gonna shred the Vikings secondary.

39 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

You have got it wrong about Vikings offense... just by raw passing numbers, Vikings pass offense might look like it's middle of the pack because Vikings haven't thrown as much as other teams...but the Vikings passing offense is Top3 in league efficiency wise...whereas rush offense is around 8-10 range efficiency wise. It's the Vikings pass offense that's been clicking big time over the last 2 months despite Thielen missing most of the last 5 games.

Vikings also don't have a top defense anymore. The pass defense has been poor over the last 2 months..rush defense is good but the secondary and pass defense have been a big issue this season... Wilson is most probably gonna shred the Vikings secondary.

According to the stats, the Vikings still have top five in points per game allowed unless I was looking at that wrong.  Was it just a bad streak of games?  Earlier when Seattle faced the Ravens, a Ravens fan came in here and said their defense was bad.  They might have had some bad games, but they were still a good unit and we've seen that over the last 5-6 weeks.  Seattle's defense was pretty poor like 4-5 weeks ago, but lately it has shaped up.

I know Thielen has missed some time.  I looked at their injury report and didn't see his name on there, so I was assuming he would be playing.  It still says they are a top 4-6 rushing offense in the NFL and I know Cook is an awesome player.

Would you mind sharing why the Vikings pass defense has been such a big issue?

1 minute ago, showtime said:

According to the stats, the Vikings still have top five in points per game allowed unless I was looking at that wrong.  Was it just a bad streak of games?  Earlier when Seattle faced the Ravens, a Ravens fan came in here and said their defense was bad.  They might have had some bad games, but they were still a good unit and we've seen that over the last 5-6 weeks.  Seattle's defense was pretty poor like 4-5 weeks ago, but lately it has shaped up.

I know Thielen has missed some time.  I looked at their injury report and didn't see his name on there, so I was assuming he would be playing.  It still says they are a top 4-6 rushing offense in the NFL and I know Cook is an awesome player.

Would you mind sharing why the Vikings pass defense has been such a big issue?

I was using DVOA when I was referring to pass defense being not so good. 

Overall defense is ranked 11th, pass defense is ranked 16th whereas rush defense is ranked 4th. This is per considering DVOA -  https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef/2019. Pretty much every team has found it comfortable vs Vikings secondary recently. Vikings problems in defense mainly arise from weak interior pass rush and inconsistent CBs. The Vikings interior are ranked dead last in the league in pressures generated and that has affected the pass rush a lot. Linval Joseph getting injured has made the interior even worse. Regarding secondary, Rhodes has declined a lot and even other CBs - Waynes, Hughes have been kinda inconsistent.

Yeah, Thielen has missed last 5 games (only played like 1 quarter of football over past 6 weeks). He might most probably be back this week according to some reports. Cook is really good but biggest strength of Vikings offense is still the pass offense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I was using DVOA when I was referring to pass defense being not so good. 

Overall defense is ranked 11th, pass defense is ranked 16th whereas rush defense is ranked 4th. This is per considering DVOA -  https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef/2019. Pretty much every team has found it comfortable vs Vikings secondary recently. Vikings problems in defense mainly arise from weak interior pass rush and inconsistent CBs. The Vikings interior are ranked dead last in the league in pressures generated and that has affected the pass rush a lot. Linval Joseph getting injured has made the interior even worse. Regarding secondary, Rhodes has declined a lot and even other CBs - Waynes, Hughes have been kinda inconsistent.

Yeah, Thielen has missed last 5 games (only played like 1 quarter of football over past 6 weeks). He might most probably be back this week according to some reports. Cook is really good but biggest strength of Vikings offense is still the pass offense.

I disagree with this. The passing O really benefits from how much Dalvin scares teams. Denvers gameplan was shutdown Dalvin and make Cousins beat them (Thankfully he did). Both the Diggs and Rudy TDs came off PA where multiple defenders went with Cook. I'm not saying the passing game isn't lethal but Dalvin helps a hell of a lot.

• Like 1

Huge game for both teams. Seattle will likely be favored since its a home game for them.

We're better this year than last year and I expect it to be a good game. There will be a lot of energy in this game with both teams eyes on their respective divisions.

For the Vikings, we need to limit Wilson to staying in the pocket and forcing turnovers.

For the Seahawks, its about getting a quick Lead and forcing the Vikings to be one dimensional. Denver did it but couldn't finish.

Can't wait for Monday!! 

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

what were Seattle's three losses like this year? atypical of their play, or what?

You mean two losses ;)

The first loss was vs the Saints.  They jumped out to such a huge lead and the Seahawks could never come back.  They just flat out beat Seattle.  Kind of not a typical game, but the Saints are a really good team.  The loss vs the Ravens was when they started being on the roll they are currently on.  They played really well.  I believe that was the during week 7 and that the game where Russell Wilson threw his first interception.  DK Metcalf also had a really big fumble as well.  Lamar Jackson had a great game running the ball, but he had a poor passing game.

The Saints are currently 9-2 and the Ravens are currently 9-2 and arguably the best team in football.  Those are their two losses this season.

Good Luck Seattle.  Hoping our defense can step up this week.  We are definitely going to have to against a player the caliber of Russell Wilson, whom seems to have little to no weaknesses. If Cousins can continue his much improved play and our defense can play big time, I can see this being a good game.  

Unsure that will be the case though, I have Seattle coming out on top: 23 - 18

Edited by Torchezim
  • Like 1