Week 2: Miami Dolphins (0-0) @ Los Angeles Chargers (0-1)

TheKillerNacho

MIA @ LAC  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Miami Dolphins
    • Los Angeles Chargers
  2. 2. How close will the game be?

• Less than 3 point difference
    • 3-7 point difference
    • 8-14 point difference
    • More than 15 point difference
  3. 3. Most fantasy points in this game?

• Jay Cutler
    • Philip Rivers
    • Jay Ajayi
    • Melvin Gordon
    • Jarvis Landry
    • DeVante Parker
    • Kenny Stills
    • Keenan Allen
    • Tyrell Williams
    • Julius Thomas
    • Antonio Gates
    • Hunter Henry
    • Cody Parkey
    • Younghoe Koo
    • Dolphins DST
    • Chargers DST
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/17/2017 at 08:00 PM

7 minutes ago, Dolphinmeister said:

A very good ugly win. The offense will get going but I am a little worried about defenses overall play against the pass. I predict Maxwell will not be a starter very long, the guy looks lost at times and he his always 2 steps off of the receiver.

Maxwell was pretty terrible today. 

Our play calling on the last field goal drive was atrocious.  We deserved to lose when we run for 1, then 2, and then do a short screen pass to set up a 50 yard fg.We're just lucky our guy made a long one and their guy missed a shorter one.

I remember that last season it took a few games for the offense to click, so I expect the same thing this season.  But when you have three straight scoring drives where passing was integral, I expect that we do some of those same passes on the final drive. We didn't get close enough (should have been a 25 yarder) and left too much time on the clock.

We got the win, but I hope Gase figures out that last drive was really poor.

1 hour ago, Deadeye said:

Our play calling on the last field goal drive was atrocious.  We deserved to lose when we run for 1, then 2, and then do a short screen pass to set up a 50 yard fg.We're just lucky our guy made a long one and their guy missed a shorter one.

I remember that last season it took a few games for the offense to click, so I expect the same thing this season.  But when you have three straight scoring drives where passing was integral, I expect that we do some of those same passes on the final drive. We didn't get close enough (should have been a 25 yarder) and left too much time on the clock.

We got the win, but I hope Gase figures out that last drive was really poor.

Yeah, there were several head-scratching play calls today.  Hopefully that aspect gets better, and let's hope Timmons is back and ready to play next week.  Man did we ever need his presence today.  

Gase recognized his bad play-calling. Probably thinking too hard about easing in Cutler. He may have felt the need to get the ball out quickly due to Ingram and Bosa, and sustain long drives to mask the LB deficiency.

The DL did a great job in run defense and our LBs, while not physical, got runners down by effective swarming. There is a serious problem when they're asked to cover and I think that is a problem we will have to deal with all season. Timmons either had some sort of remarkable hardship or he will be cut.

Ajayi looked great. OL opened some nice holes. Looks like Jesse Davis subbed in for Steen and took the LG spot.

Notable snap counts

68 offensive snaps:
Anthony Steen - 46
Jesse Davis - 22
Julius Thomas - 65
Anthony Fasano - 16
Jay Ajayi - 64
Damien Williams - 3
Kenyan Drake - 1

58 defensive snaps:
Kiko Alonso - 58
Mike Hull - 58
Chase Allen - 14
Suh - 53
Davon Godchaux - 32
Jordan Phillips - 21
Vincent Taylor - 3
Charles Harris - 27
Cameron Wake - 33
Andre Branch - 43
William Hayes - 25

Biggest Positives I saw:

Interior O-line - I think we all thought this was going to sink us all year.  It was only one game, and the Chargers don't have the most fearsome interior DL in the league, but they played really well, both in the run game and in pass protection.

Ajayi - Dude picked up right where he left off and remains arguably the most difficult runner to tackle in the league.

Run Defense - Suh was a monster yesterday.  I liked what I saw from Godchaux.  The LBs played acceptably here.  

Parkey - I questioned the need to bring him in, but he was a perfect 4-4 on the day, including a huge 54 yarder that ended up being the game winner.

Team Chemistry - I could be reading too much into it, but it just seemed like this group already started playing "together".  They were picking each other up.  They were getting in the face of the opposing player if they did something to their teammate.  There was legitimate effort by several guys that I don't remember seeing that often (especially DeVante Parker).  I enjoyed this aspect.

Biggest Negatives I saw:

Play-calling - It was waaaaaaay too conservative for most of the game. I get that you sometimes need to dial it back with Cutler at the helm, but that was ridiculous.  Luckily, Gase already called himself out for the play-calling so it is hopefully less of an issue going forward.

Pass rush - Was there one at all?  Wake was a nonfactor.  Charles Harris was completely absent.  Fins had to dial up blitzes to get anywhere near Rivers.  This has to improve.

Secondary - The entire unit had a bad day, IMO.  The LBs were miserable in coverage as well, but that was more or less expected.  

Archived