Week 13: Cat fight at the Panthers

turtle28

Is it just me or does it seem like the guys and young guys now are more hungry? We have a team of guys who all are pretty much 5 years or less in the NFL starting for us right now outside of AP and a few others.

as much as I want to lose and get a high pick I’m actually really enjoying watching the youth of this team win and give it their all 

We are super young!

and how bout our 2 OLBs that were recently signed! They had to go out there due to Kerrigan, sweat, and Anderson and they played lights out!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Is it just me or does it seem like the guys and young guys now are more hungry? We have a team of guys who all are pretty much 5 years or less in the NFL starting for us right now outside of AP and a few others.

as much as I want to lose and get a high pick I’m actually really enjoying watching the youth of this team win and give it their all 

We are super young!

and how bout our 2 OLBs that were recently signed! They had to go out there due to Kerrigan, sweat, and Anderson and they played lights out!

I love watching them do this.

But we really do need that pick. We cannot let Young go to NY

• Like 5

Takeaways from this game

1. That’s what we’ve been waiting to see from Guice. And what they’ve all been telling us about for two years. The guy is awesome. He reminds me of Mark Ingram (with more long speed), who incidentally might well be the most important addition any team made this past offseason. 

2. Geron Christian played most of the game and didn’t hurt us or utterly wreck our gameplan. That’s progress. 

3. Speaking of progress, you have to like what we saw out of the 2 first round picks. Sweat was a menace from the LOLB spot and Haskins made some really big league throws without any of the big mistakes. That’s what you want from rookies, flashes of what they’ll become. 

4. The two street FAs that played OLB down the stretch were remarkable. If nothing else, a memory they’ll have forever. 

5. The call on Ryan Anderson was an abomination. If it had just been (wrongly, in my opinion) called a penalty, that would have been one thing. Olsen clearly wasn’t defenseless, and I thought he plainly lowered his head and led with his helmet, which should really void any penalty for contact with his helmet (as he in fact is committing a penalty at that point). Blown calls happen — but to have time to review that play and still eject Anderson? Pathetic work by New York, and an obvious example of reacting to the injury rather than evaluating the actions of the involved player(s). 

6. As a #2 TE, Sprinkle isn’t bad. As a starter, he’s not up to snuff. They’ll have to address that position in the offseason. I hope they look to FA for an Austin Hooper or Jack Doyle. 

7. Mixed bag for the starting CBs, I thought, but they looked very competitive. I’m hopeful for that duo. 

8. Laugh at me if you want, but I continue to be pretty impressed with Ereck Flowers at LG. I’d definitely think about keeping him around for another year or two. 

• Like 6

Now that I slept on this victory I have to say I was impressed by the fight the team put after being down 14-0.  I loved the way the D played (especially the two FA LBs) and the pass rush they put on. Sweat played his best game yet be far.  And jokes aside our best OL player has been number 77 Flowers.  The dude is massive and he put on some blocks for some of those long runs.  Considering this is his first year playing at that position put me down as very impressed.

Here is the thing, personally the way this division has gone and in retrospect, we made a mistake starting Haskins because I feel Colt would probably have one or two more wins and we would be right in the thick of things for the horrible division.  As it is now I honestly don't think we lose more than one game.  These guys are starting to gel and playing well on the D side at least which will present problems for us fans.  What problems?  Don't be surprised if we go 3-1 or haven forbid 4-0 that Callahan is our new HC and Allen stays right where he is.

2 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

Now that I slept on this victory I have to say I was impressed by the fight the team put after being down 14-0.  I loved the way the D played (especially the two FA LBs) and the pass rush they put on. Sweat played his best game yet be far.  And jokes aside our best OL player has been number 77 Flowers.  The dude is massive and he put on some blocks for some of those long runs.  Considering this is his first year playing at that position put me down as very impressed.

Here is the thing, personally the way this division has gone and in retrospect, we made a mistake starting Haskins because I feel Colt would probably have one or two more wins and we would be right in the thick of things for the horrible division.  As it is now I honestly don't think we lose more than one game.  These guys are starting to gel and playing well on the D side at least which will present problems for us fans.  What problems?  Don't be surprised if we go 3-1 or haven forbid 4-0 that Callahan is our new HC and Allen stays right where he is.

Were going to get smashed by 3 out of the next 4 teams we play. Don’t let who we played fool you. Driskell is bad and apparently was hurt. Kyle Allen was missing wide open TD passes. Maybe we beat the Giants but they always have our number. 

I just want the young guys to look good like they did yesterday and for the team to lose. Bruce gone, Callahan gone and highest draft pick possible. 

• Like 5

Yes, I'd like to back up what a coupla posters have said . Ereck Frekkin' Flowers ! Love his attitude too- always there to help lift the running back and patting him on the helmet giving encouragement ! A very pleasant surprise. I hope he wasn't Bruce's idea ! ( though he'll surely take credit ! )

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

Nah, starting Haskins when we did was the correct thing to do. Personally, I think he still should have started week 1 or at least by the Giants game when we were 0-3.  This year should have been - and I’m glad it finally is - about seeing what the future holds with all these young players we have.

Colt McCoy would do just enough to get us 6 to 8 wins and that’s only if our D had played like it did yesterday the first two months of the season, same with Keenum.

I don’t want to continue to be the team that backs into the playoffs but has no hopes of going anywhere. I want to be what we are now, a mostly young team that loves to play ball and though they may make mistakes, they seem to be learning from them and that should pay off in the years to come.

We played well yesterday - especially on D and with the running game - that being said, I’ll be shocked if we win more than one mroe game

Edited by turtle28

still shaking my head at Odom and Orchard--how can two guys from the bargain bin step in a play like regulars , or better ! I was going , who the H are these guys . They were fun to watch. 

Hope we get an update on the injuries, Moses, Sweat and I know Quinn has a concussion. Won't be surprised if he ends up on I R--Hellova hit he took .

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

still shaking my head at Odom and Orchard--how can two guys from the bargain bin step in a play like regulars , or better ! I was going , who the H are these guys . They were fun to watch. 

Hope we get an update on the injuries, Moses, Sweat and I know Quinn has a concussion. Won't be surprised if he ends up on I R--Hellova hit he took .

Sometimes guys play better when they’re not overthinking, that tends to happen a lot w/ street free agents bc they don’t even know the playbook. I’ve heard a big problem with Sweat this year was he was over thinking. Also, let’s not forget the competition. I believe the Panthers has to move their starting OG to LT or something like that bc of injuries. 

I love what Sweat, Orchard and Odom did yesterday but they weren’t facing Tyron Smith, Jason Peters or Nate Solder.

Edited by turtle28

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Sometimes guys play better when they’re not overthinking, that tends to happen a lot w/ street free agents bc they don’t even know the playbook. I’ve heard a big problem with Sweat this year was he was over thinking. Also, let’s not forget the competition. I believe the Panthers has to move their starting OG to LT or something like that bc of injuries. 

I love what Sweat, Orchard and Odom did yesterday but they weren’t facing Tyron Smith, Jason Peters or Nate Solder.

Honestly from watching Sweat this season he seem a lot more comfortable coming off the right side,not sure if it's the RTs being worse then LT or something mechanically for him.But See him a lot more when he on right side vs when Kerrigans in and he's on the left.Most of College highlight tape he was on right side too.