Week 13: Cat fight at the Panthers

turtle28

9 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Common sense would tell me play Sweat on the left side than. Do you not want to get the best out of Sweat, or do you want to keep having these Smith vs Sweat type debates? 

Get the best out Sweat by playing him on the side where he will be most effective.

The reason Smith before & now Sweat have to rush on the right side is because Kerrigan is deaf in his left ear and can’t be the ROLB. So, we have to play them on that side. 

So, as long as Kerrigan is here, Sweat - like Smith & Orakpo before him - will mostly rush from the right side and Kerrigan will get to feast on RTs.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The reason Smith before & now Sweat have to rush on the right side is because Kerrigan is deaf in his left ear and can’t be the ROLB. So, we have to play them on that side. 

So, as long as Kerrigan is here, Sweat - like Smith & Orakpo before him - will mostly rush from the right side and Kerrigan will get to feast on RTs.

Well Kerrigan at this point needs to go. His talent is no longer at the level where Staff should allow his deaf ear to hog up the Left side over a more talented guy. Sweat needs to be given a opportunity at LDE/LOLB. 

From your perspective, how talented was Kerrigan than since he never rushed against top LT compared a Smith or Sweat who did? 

Edited by Skins212689

58 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Well Kerrigan at this point needs to go. His talent is no longer at the level where Staff should allow his deaf ear to hog up the Left side over a more talented guy. Sweat needs to be given a opportunity at LDE/LOLB. 

From your perspective, how talented was Kerrigan than since he never rushed against top LT compared a Smith or Sweat who did? 

I’ve always said Kerrigan is a good pass rusher but not an elite pass rusher. He’s a good player, a pro bowl player but not close to an All-Pro. I think any player who rushes at LOLB or LDE benefits from rushing against RTs and not against the much better and sometimes elite LTs in the NFL.

In the end that doesn’t exactly matter when you’re talking about production bc if a guy is putting up stats that helps you win  no matter if they’re rushing from the left side or right side. In the end, 13 sacks is 13 sacks, it doesn’t matter how the player got them.

At the same time, when you’re evaluating talent, you have to take into account who that player is rushing against. It’s just a fact that rushing from the left side against less talented RTs is a path to easier resistance to get to the QB then rushing against the better pass blocking LTs.

Edited by turtle28

40 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’ve always said Kerrigan is a good pass rusher but not an elite pass rusher. He’s a good player, a pro bowl player but not close to an All-Pro. I think any player who rushes at LOLB or LDE benefits from rushing against RTs and not against the much better and sometimes elite LTs in the NFL.

In the end that doesn’t exactly matter when you’re talking about production bc if a guy is putting up stats that helps you win  no matter if they’re rushing from the left side or right side. In the end, 13 sacks is 13 sacks, it doesn’t matter how the player got them.

At the same time, when you’re evaluating talent, you have to take into account who that player is rushing against. It’s just a fact that rushing from the left side against less talented RTs is a path to easier resistance to get to the QB then rushing against the better pass blocking LTs.

If sacks are sacks than people shouldn't judge witch side of the field or the player's they got their sack against. 

You just totally contradicted yourself, saying a sack is a sack but than you will argue who they got their sack against. 

Like your argument with Smith that he's only performing better in Greenbay due to the lack of Elite LT's in the NFC North oppose to when he was here at ROLB facing NFC East LT'S. 

How is Sweat a BUST if Coaches know he is better suited for the Left Side but continue to play him on the right side? Same with Preston Smith? If you know Kerrigan can only play on the Left Side make sure you draft a player that can beat guy's on the other side of the field. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

If sacks are sacks than people shouldn't judge witch side of the field or the player's they got their sack against. 

You just totally contradicted yourself, saying a sack is a sack but than you will argue who they got their sack against. 

Like your argument with Smith that he's only performing better in Greenbay due to the lack of Elite LT's in the NFC North oppose to when he was here at ROLB facing NFC East LT'S. 

How is Sweat a BUST if Coaches know he is better suited for the Left Side but continue to play him on the right side? Same with Preston Smith? If you know Kerrigan can only play on the Left Side make sure you draft a player that can beat guy's on the other side of the field. 

No, my point makes total sense. It's not my fault you're not understanding my point.

I also never said Sweat was a bust. I don't know where you come up with these accusations. 

4 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

This is a contradictory point of view.  Sweat was drafted to be an elite pass rusher, he should be able to handle the strong side.  And if sweat is more talented than kerrigan he certainly should be taking on the left tackle.  

We should keep in mind that the skins defense got more pressure and sacks last week across the board.  When Sweat went out the guys just picked up off the street got sacks.  If we are going to make judgments off one game then maybe we should bench sweat for Orchard.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

This is a contradictory point of view.  Sweat was drafted to be an elite pass rusher, he should be able to handle the strong side.  And if sweat is more talented than kerrigan he certainly should be taking on the left tackle.  

We should keep in mind that the skins defense got more pressure and sacks last week across the board.  When Sweat went out the guys just picked up off the street got sacks.  If we are going to make judgments off one game then maybe we should bench sweat for Orchard.

Sweat wasn't drafted top 5 or 10 so I'm cool with getting a Elite pass rusher at 26 even if he has to be on the left side to showcase his talent. Chase Young on the other hand going top 5 has to beable to handle both sides of the field. Sweat is better than Kerrigan at this point in their careers. I don't know if long term Sweat is better than Kerrigan. Yet we did get to see Sweat showcase his skills while in place of Kerrigan Sunday. I would definitely look more so to paring Sweat and Young over resigning Kerrigan and have Sweat not effect games as he mainly has throughout the season on the right side.