Week 13 GDT: Saints (9-2) @ Falcons (3-8): Revenge of the gobble gobble

Canadian Saint

So we've gone over the negatives on the win, how about some positives?

- Patrick Omemeh took his first start at LT and didn't give up a hit or a sack. That's props for the player, Brees, Payton and O-line coach to let him succeed in tough divisional game.

- Marcus freaking Davenport. 2 Sacks and 2 FF. All season he's been getting pressures, and every few games he finishes. I don't have the stats, but I think Cam Jordan is really benefiting from this too. This kid is going to be a perennial 10 sack guy for us. Absolute stud.

- Our 2019 rookies, McCoy, Tuttle, CGJ and Harris. 3/4 had big games and the other might be one of the best returners in the league in a few years. We had like 3 picks the entire draft, but bloody hell our UDFA continues to churn out talent. Tuttle has shown to be a nice rotational guy who can play both rushing and passing downs. He's going to cause Onyemata off the team. CGJ continues to flash as a slot CB, and that pick was a thing of beauty. McCoy has the makings of a franchise C.

- After 13 weeks, I honestly think the strength of this team has been the D-line. Consistently great. It seems like we're 7-8 players deep. Obviously you have Jordan and Davenport on the edges. Brown has been an incredible add and an upgrade at NT. The guy just gobbles up running plays. Onyemata has stepped up into a 3 down DT. Rankins is getting better each week. Tuttle has improved also. Hendrickson is capable in rushing down and developed well into a complimentary pass rusher. Granderson flashed some things when he was given time too. The fact that we can rotate heavily and have quality on the field shows how deep we are with this unit.

- Vonn Bell. You'd have to convince me pretty hard that he hasn't been the best player in the secondary this season. I mean can anyone pinpoint a bad week or two of games? Williams and Lattimore had the start of the season. Apple had this game. PJ Williams is most games. Yet Vonn Bell has been steady as she goes throughout the season. When Williams was struggling, he dropped deeper into coverage. He lines up with TEs and while we haven't completely locked them down, we're not flailing around against them. He's a presence in the run game and creates FF at a decent clip too.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

- Marcus freaking Davenport. 2 Sacks and 2 FF. All season he's been getting pressures, and every few games he finishes. I don't have the stats, but I think Cam Jordan is really benefiting from this too. This kid is going to be a perennial 10 sack guy for us. Absolute stud.

I'd have to guess yes. If it means anything, Jordan's at 13.5 sacks (his career best) with 4 games to go. His previous season record was 13 sacks 2 seasons ago.

Oddly enough, Cam sacks better on the road (10) than at home (3.5). So at the end of the season, mathematical averages would have him at 4.5 more for a total of 18. THAT would be amazing!!

Davenport is sitting at 6 sack, besting last season's mark of 4.5 total.

The Saints rank 3rd in total sacks with 40, behind San Francisco at 44, and Carolina at 41. Pittsburgh is behind us by 2. As we played Thursday, we're a game ahead of those 3 teams.

I love the positive post. We've got a good team!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 12:08 AM, SWATcha said:

Even my dad who doesn't watch a ton of football asked me what Kamara's problem was. Doesn't look interested in playing. Very nonchalant. Minimal effort. Very disappointed with Kamara this season. Even before injuries he looked like he was just going thru the motions.

My guess would be that there is a sense of frustration with Kamara. Going into the season the talk was that he was going to be looking at a huge contract up there with Zeke Elliott's. However, he has been injured this season, and one thing I have noticed is that Sean Payton seemingly has refused to give him hardly any looks in the redzone this season. Last season (and even 2 years ago), Kamara was getting touchdowns consistently, and was seeing plenty of looks when we were in the redzone. This year it seems like we look to give it to everyone except Kamara. This may seem a bit petty, but I'd imagine every game Kamara goes without a touchdown, he knows he loses a bit of leverage in his upcoming negotiations for a big contract as the 13+ touchdown seasons that he had last couple seasons surely look much better on paper than the 2 touchdowns he has this season. This is largely a stats driven league, and I'm guessing Kamara is looking to get paid given how much of a steal he has been for us. Not to mention all of these guys have egos, and I guarantee Kamara wants to score even if he says the "right team first things" in interviews like many players do.

On 12/3/2019 at 1:39 PM, tyler735 said:

My guess would be that there is a sense of frustration with Kamara. Going into the season the talk was that he was going to be looking at a huge contract up there with Zeke Elliott's. However, he has been injured this season, and one thing I have noticed is that Sean Payton seemingly has refused to give him hardly any looks in the redzone this season. Last season (and even 2 years ago), Kamara was getting touchdowns consistently, and was seeing plenty of looks when we were in the redzone. This year it seems like we look to give it to everyone except Kamara. This may seem a bit petty, but I'd imagine every game Kamara goes without a touchdown, he knows he loses a bit of leverage in his upcoming negotiations for a big contract as the 13+ touchdown seasons that he had last couple seasons surely look much better on paper than the 2 touchdowns he has this season. This is largely a stats driven league, and I'm guessing Kamara is looking to get paid given how much of a steal he has been for us. Not to mention all of these guys have egos, and I guarantee Kamara wants to score even if he says the "right team first things" in interviews like many players do.

That's how Payton has always been with RBs.  They're just not gonna get a lot of stats here.  

I don't think it's contract related, I just think it's Payton's scheming combined with Kamara's injury.  And Kamara has had a few mediocre games even before the injury.  Some of it was poor oline play, which we've had several games of.  Some of it is just poor offense in general, by our standards, from everyone except Michael Thomas.  We aren't the elite offense we've nearly always been.  Still top ten, but we haven't shown anything this year to make people think we're elite on offense.  

It's also been said, and I tend to agree, Kamara could have some nagging injuries, and they may affect him for the rest of his career.