GDT Week 13: LAC vs DEN: DREW LOCK EDITION

iLikeDefense

Alright fellas, here is the GDT. Normally I'd fluff the heck out of this but I have to get some stuff ready for tomorrow.

Things I want to see:

James play LT, Drew Lock start, hope to see Winfree play some snaps and see if they put Yiadom out there to get torched by Rivers and Allen.

Have at it!

Edited by iLikeDefense
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

Alright fellas, here is the GDT. Normally I'd fluff the heck out of this but I have to get some stuff ready for tomorrow.

Things I want to see:

James play LT, Drew Lock start, hope to see Winfree play some snaps and see if they put Yiadom out there to get torched by Rivers and Allen.

Have at it!

Oops, didn't see this. Hey Counselor, shut mine down would ya.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I just really hope Lock shows us enough that we don't have a lot of people clamoring for a QB with our first pick.

With our Oline, no way we should look to draft a qb, there's bee too much pressure to start him and he'd get killed. Remember what happened to David Carr behind the HOU Oline sieve ?? We should address the Oline this year and try to get a QB in 2021.

6 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

With our Oline, no way we should look to draft a qb, there's bee too much pressure to start him and he'd get killed. Remember what happened to David Carr behind the HOU Oline sieve ?? We should address the Oline this year and try to get a QB in 2021.

You're preaching to the choir man. Every year though it always comes up.

3 hours ago, iLikeDefense said:

Things I want to see:

James play LT, Heck, I'd be happy seeing him play RT

Drew Lock start,  Well according to Elway and Vic "Is he READY ?"

hope to see Winfree play some snaps Agreed, but isn't he already playing better than DeSean ? Yeah, that's what I mean

see if they put Yiadom out there to get torched by Rivers and Allen. C'mon, we already HAVE seen that, hope he does better

45 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

That principle holds true - unless there’s a franchise QB there.   The issue is the one guy Elway would consider isn’t that guy.  So even though I have serious concerns on Lock I hope we see enough to hold off from a Rd1 pick.   An early Rd1 miss would set us back far more.  

Normally I’d despair at passing over QB if a guy is there.  But Elway’s history with Herbert is just too much to ignore.  As I see it only 2 good outcomes if we pass round 1 - A.) Lock works out (less likely but I’ll take it), or B.) Lock fails in 2020 - and we have someone other than Elway picking QB in 2021.   I would not ignore the good Elway has done as a GM by any means - but I also don’t want him choosing our next guy if Lock is yet another whiff.  

The part that sucks of course is the in Scenario B we have to wait a year - but IMO our window to contention isn’t any earlier than 2021 anyways.  

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

But Elway’s history with Herbert is just too much to ignore.  As I see it only 2 good outcomes if we pass round 1 - A.) Lock works out (less likely but I’ll take it), or B.) Lock fails in 2020 - and we have someone other than Elway picking QB in 2021.  

The part that sucks of course is the in Scenario B we have to wait a year - but IMO our window to contention isn’t any earlier than 2021 anyways.  

Didn't Elway have a similar history with Lock ??? And in option B aren't we building a better foundation/opportunity for success for 2021 QB ? 

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Didn't Elway have a similar history with Lock ??? And in option B aren't we building a better foundation/opportunity for success for 2021 QB ? 

Yes, for sure.  But unlike Lock, Herbert’s placement in this draft class pretty much means you have to spend a Rd1 pick to get him.  Tua’s injury could have him as the 2nd guy off the board.  

To be fair, the flip side is passing on a franchise QB usually delays a rebuild.   Until you find “the guy”, most teams are stuck in mediocrity.  It doesn’t mean every guy has to be found via Rd1, but when you pass on a true franchise guy, it’s rare that the alternative provides a better result.  

Having said all that, spending top 5-10 pick capital on a guy who doesn’t work out is no better.   And if it’s a debate over a generational non QB talent like Thomas vs. this years QB class, IMO it’s not even close, though.  In our case, Elway & Herbert are so heavily linked that’s a far more likely probability, which is even worse.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

That principle holds true - unless there’s a franchise QB there.   The issue is the one guy Elway would consider isn’t that guy.  So even though I have serious concerns on Lock I hope we see enough to hold off from a Rd1 pick.   An early Rd1 miss would set us back far more.  

Yea - I don't want  Elway to pick a QB in R1 this year - now if Tua was to fall to R2 on injury concerns .....

• Like 1