GDT Week 13: LAC vs DEN: DREW LOCK EDITION

iLikeDefense

I would shut him down.

If we keep him, we want him to be healthy when it really matters. Next season. 

If we trade him, we want to get the best value possible, risking a big injury is silly. 

I honestly think the best case is he restructures his deal down a bit (3-5M AV) and we keep him. He still contributes more to this team than a 1st rounder ever could hope to, even one we hit. Imagine missing on the pick we got for him. Ugh.

This defense is still there. Lock looked better than I could have imagined and we have a few, not nearly enough but a few, bright spots on offense. A good FA and draft, with Lock building on this game, and we can be in the WC next season. I still dont trust him, but Lock showed his physical talents in a big way Sunday. Those feet are too happy for me still, but ideally they calm a bit each game. Not trusting it to happen thought, at least not yet.

Well, Von ain't taking less money. You can kick the can another year with a restructure and have a 30+ million cap hit at the end of the deal (please god no), but Von has no reason to take a pay cut at this stage and with the team in the shape it's in. 

That said...there's surely going to be a conversation. And I could easily see it going south and playing out similarly to DeMarcus Ware's departure from Dallas. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Well, Von ain't taking less money. You can kick the can another year with a restructure and have a 30+ million cap hit at the end of the deal (please god no), but Von has no reason to take a pay cut at this stage and with the team in the shape it's in. 

That said...there's surely going to be a conversation. And I could easily see it going south and playing out similarly to DeMarcus Ware's departure from Dallas. 

Von is not like Wolf where Wolf is singing the praises of living and raising his family in Denver.  Von is one foot out the door back to Texas.  Which to me means he is trade bate to the Cowboys if we are out of contention during this time next year. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Von is not like Wolf where Wolf is singing the praises of living and raising his family in Denver.  Von is one foot out the door back to Texas.  Which to me means he is trade bate to the Cowboys if we are out of contention during this time next year. 

Yup, pay Wolfe, maybe CHJ and trade Von.

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You gain nothing by trading Von.

Move a HOF player at a critical position, one which opposing DCs have to game plan for each week, for a draft pick? What kind of draft pick? One that John Elway and Matt “pour me another drink” Russell and screw up? 

No thanks, let Von play out his contract here. 

I would have disagreed strongly with this at the beginning of the season. But at this point I think you’re probably correct. Von’s at a stage in his career now where he probably wouldn’t command a high enough draft pick to grab an automatic home run player. Plus, coordinators do still have to plan for him, even if his production has dropped off this season. Third, we’re already loaded for bear in next year’s draft; one late first rounder is probably not going to be the difference maker here. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I would have disagreed strongly with this at the beginning of the season. But at this point I think you’re probably correct. Von’s at a stage in his career now where he probably wouldn’t command a high enough draft pick to grab an automatic home run player. Plus, coordinators do still have to plan for him, even if his production has dropped off this season. Third, we’re already loaded for bear in next year’s draft; one late first rounder is probably not going to be the difference maker here. 

Furthermore, next year he has Chubb back on the other side and maybe Vic will figure out playing Von on 90% of snaps and having him drop into coverage half that time isn’t wise, even if it is the “ old school” approach 🙄

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You gain nothing by trading Von.

Move a HOF player at a critical position, one which opposing DCs have to game plan for each week, for a draft pick? What kind of draft pick? One that John Elway and Matt “pour me another drink” Russell and screw up? 

No thanks, let Von play out his contract here. 

It's also come out that Von has been dealing with an MCL injury this season, why sell low when he should bounce back next season.

• Like 3

On 12/5/2019 at 11:58 PM, Cutler06 said:

It's also come out that Von has been dealing with an MCL injury this season, why sell low when he should bounce back next season.

I still dont think they'll have to sell low contrary to popular belief Houston, Dallas, and the Saints are all going to be in win now mode and Von is still Von in some capacity.