GDT 12/1/19 Week 13: 9-2 Baltimore Ravens vs 10-1 San Francisco 49ers

DreamKid

The 49ers defense put us slightly behind the offense’s historical pace. Only 178 rushing yards and only scored on 50% of the drives.

All told that puts the rushing attack at 207.83 yards/game with two more great defenses and another tough divisional opponent left to face in the Bills, Steelers, and Browns. We also have the Jets left. To average over 200 yards rushing and be the only team in the 16 game season era to finish at that mark, the Ravens rushing attack would need to average 176.5 yds/game in the last quarter of the season.

Whats more with the drive stats this game will knock the offense down to 3.32 points/drive. The offense will be bumped down now to roughly scoring on 58.9% of their drives now... obviously football outsiders won’t post the final numbers until Tuesday night, but those numbers should be roughly correct based on my calculations of their numbers.

• Like 1

I agree. They aren't the only team that's upped their 'intensity' level against Lamar either. Which is why I don't feel bad when I see Judon digging out some dirty plays. And why we should continue to draft savages on defense who will retaliate in kind or intimidate opposing defenses out of 'extra' play. You try and hurt our QB, and we'll kill yours. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Missed this one freezing my butt off in the Meadowlands. Seems like I missed a great one, gonna enjoy catching up on the highlights.

I keep saying it every week, safe to say I'm still on track in saying this team is special? 

I'm trying to keep the spartan reserve, but they make it so hard. The way the squad is playing is super inspiring.

6 hours ago, M.10.E said:

You guys were right about the rain, I thought it'd affect the Niners more but I think it clearly affected us more.

Yup. Jimmy G has been playing in this league longer and has had more time to develop his fundamentals in NE. Lamar’s throwing mechanics and comfortability, that aren’t fully muscle memory, needs the more ideal conditions. The rain essentially turns him into 2018 Lamar where he has to rely more on his legs and his accuracy is far less reliable.

On the flip side our run game was also more impacted even though we have the power rushing attack with Ingram and Edwards with the big OL. Reason being is that while it benefits that aspect, Lamar isn’t as in control as a runner and because he’s a QB he has the added importance of needing to run safely. Some of his runs where he might’ve cut it inside in other games he went out of bounds and when he didn’t, he ended up fumbling. He’s not going to see as many ball control drills as a running back to prepare for the wet balls. 

The rain impacting their rushing attack more was overblown because it’s a zone blocking scheme. You’re not looking to win upfront with power. You’re looking to get to a spot and then simply get in the way and create a wall of butts. It’s all about making one cut and going. The rain isn’t going to impact that one cut so much even though it’s a “finesse” rushing attack it’s not very much impacting their ability to get movement... as “movement” isn’t necessarily the objective, it’s an added plus, but not necessary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yup. Jimmy G has been playing in this league longer and has had more time to develop his fundamentals in NE. Lamar’s throwing mechanics and comfortability, that aren’t fully muscle memory, needs the more ideal conditions. The rain essentially turns him into 2018 Lamar where he has to rely more on his legs and his accuracy is far less reliable.

On the flip side our run game was also more impacted even though we have the power rushing attack with Ingram and Edwards with the big OL. Reason being is that while it benefits that aspect, Lamar isn’t as in control as a runner and because he’s a QB he has the added importance of needing to run safely. Some of his runs where he might’ve cut it inside in other games he went out of bounds and when he didn’t, he ended up fumbling. He’s not going to see as many ball control drills as a running back to prepare for the wet balls. 

The rain impacting their rushing attack more was overblown because it’s a zone blocking scheme. You’re not looking to win upfront with power. You’re looking to get to a spot and then simply get in the way and create a wall of butts. It’s all about making one cut and going. The rain isn’t going to impact that one cut so much even though it’s a “finesse” rushing attack it’s not very much impacting their ability to get movement... as “movement” isn’t necessarily the objective, it’s an added plus, but not necessary.

tbh Jimmy G didn't do much passing either. He just threw slants all day long. It was super predictable.

11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

tbh Jimmy G didn't do much passing either. He just threw slants all day long. It was super predictable.

True. I think the rain benefited him this game. After sleeping on it, I’d welcome playing them in fair weather in a SB. Lamar had some passes where he could’ve exposed their passing defense that he normally hits. Lamar also had plenty of rushing lanes that he normally exposes but played it safe in the conditions. Rain typically allows a QB/WR tandem to take advantage of the “second play” as it’s harder to stick to a receiver in wet conditions as we saw. With Lamar he was never going to take advantage of the second play because of their elite DL getting home so quickly. Either he throws off rhythm or he has to make something happen with his legs.

However with the pass rush easily being this teams weakness, it meant our strength (the secondary) could be exposed to WRs making the “second play”. And if we’re being honest, very few of Jimmy Gs plays came off a 3 or 5 step drop or something, typically it came from him narrowly evading the pass rush and tossing up a prayer that the defense couldn’t adjust to.

Plus the SB is in Miami, it’s only neutral field in theory. Too many people in Miami have the Ravens as their 1st/2nd team. We all saw how Lamar and Hollywood balled down in Miami.

Edited by diamondbull424

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Lamar also had plenty of rushing lanes that he normally exposes but played it safe in the conditions.

I wanna call this out because I felt he didn't want to risk/scramble at all. Even near first downs and the goal line he ducked out of bounds instead of doing his norm. He had TONS of lanes to scramble but he chose not to (Seth Roberts 3rd down comes into mind).

12 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Jimmy G had more success than Lamar throwing the ball, but our passing game was most definitely impacted. Both QBs were off the mark a bit, but that's not a surprise with the weather conditions. I do feel like in better conditions our passing game has more of a chance to be successful against your defense than the other way around. Our passing defense just doesn't give much at all and is especially good at preventing the big plays, so Jackson would just have to throw a bunch of check downs. 

Both running games were still really solid. Maybe better conditions helps Jackson be a bit more allusive. 

Both teams can be a bit better in certain areas in better conditions but if these two teams face off 10 times, damn near all of them will be coming down to the wire. Just way too evenly matched across the board. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I do feel like in better conditions our passing game has more of a chance to be successful against your defense than the other way around.

Agree to disagree. I thought Lamar deviated from his normal standard a lot more than Jimmy G did with the rain. Yes I know your defense is great, but Lamar missed some easy throws that he hits 9/10 times and same with his runs.