Lions to start undrafted rookie QB David Blough (Purdue) on Thanksgiving

Nazgul

11 hours ago, cp0k2 said:

Hoodie protege and genius Bob Quinn's astute roster building on full display, ladies and gentleman. He cut Josh Johnson and signed Jeff Driskel at the end of September knowing his QB had a back injury he played through all of last season and it never fully healed. And then voila, it got worse, much worse, and he had nothing at backup QB. He didn't know the XLF's rules apparently and tried to get Josh Johnson back this week, but no dice so Blough it is.

If Blough blows too badly or gets hurt, we could see Logan Thomas (Detroit's best TE - yes, after signing Jesse James and drafting T.J. Hockenson at #8, Thomas is the Lions best TE [genius Bob Quinn]) at QB! 

What a way to show this organization's true colors on the only big stage they are ever on. I'll be hammered before kickoff, which is the life of a Lions fan, but at least tomorrow it's an acceptable day to do so! Burn it down, fire everyone, sell the team.

SellTheTeam-Lions-DeepHeather8_400x@2x.p

There are plenty of things to criticize Quinn for, but this ain't one of em.

Driskel has been fine for a backup.  Not sure what you expect from a backup QB? He's inconsistent and takes too many sacks but that's what backup QBs do.  He's had the Lions in every game so far this year and his mobility has actually helped the Lions move the ball decently well all things considered. Blough is the 3rd stringer, these are usually young developmental guys.  Again, not sure what you expect from the 3rd string QB position.  Probably not a single team in the league who has a competent 3rd string QB (and we haven't even seen Blough play yet anyways, maybe he will be better than expected today).

If Josh Johnson was such a great backup he wouldn't have been cut by 13 NFL teams, and currently be out of the NFL.  But ok.

Edited by fortdetroit
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Only 83 rookie tight ends since 1985 have had 20 receptions or more in their rookie season

Interesting stat. Raiders 4th round rookie Foster Moreau is just 3 away from making that 84. 

12 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

I feel like the Lions should be much better than their record and the Bears much worse. 

Stafford was having a great year, sucks his back failed him.

The Bears were given a win against Denver on a nonsense roughing the passer call. They also got a win against the Lions with Driskel's first start. Now get Blough's first start. Basically 3 wins they shouldn't have had unless Blough-mania is thing today,

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Interesting stat. Raiders 4th round rookie Foster Moreau is just 3 away from making that 84. 

Stafford was having a great year, sucks his back failed him.

The Bears were given a win against Denver on a nonsense roughing the passer call. They also got a win against the Lions with Driskel's first start. Now get Blough's first start. Basically 3 wins they shouldn't have had unless Blough-mania is thing today,

As a Packer fan at this point I want the Bears to win a few more.  Keeps what little draft capital they have that much worse.  But I’d still like to see Oakland’s first round pick get a little better, so I’m conflicted.  I’m a big fan of what the Raiders did.  Two first round talents for the next five years and about 15 million extra.  Unless it’s QB, I feel like three players are always better than one.  I was a part of the “it’s a mistake to give up two firsts and that contract to Mack” crowd from the beginning.  I’ve always been a draft capital and cap health are king and queen believer.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

You’ve been for a decade now the most outlandish “respected” poster on this board. I’m not trying to defend Trubisky but you’re a joke. 

He's not wrong though. Blough is the better QB today.

• Like 1

For the record, I didn’t even have an issue with the disagreement.  Just the haughtiness of the response.  To act like the worst QB in the league this year by YPA couldn’t possibly be outplayed in a league where a 6th round (Or was it 5th) QB in his second year whom nobody ever heard of turned into a 6 time Super Bowl champion and Gardner Minsnew and Kurt Warner and Kirk Cousins and Russell Wilson and Lamar Jackson and ever other QB who was ever doubted is just the epitome of dumb.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Settle down, man.  I've been telling Packer fans for years and years that a TE is a 2/3 year investment.  You can count the number of tight ends who have had a strong rookie season on one hand.  Only 83 rookie tight ends since 1985 have had 20 receptions or more in their rookie season.  Every Packer fan wanted Hockensen and I reminded them of this, but nooooooo.  Hockensen is currently tied for 67th since 1985 on receptions by a rookie tight end.  Steep learning curve for that position. 

So naturally the Lions took one 8th overall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Oh, I definitely laughed.  It was what, 5 years after they took Ebron 10th overall and passed on Donald?  They just took Hock 8th overall and passed on Oliver.  Even if Hock is a really good tight end for ten years, and I’m certain he will be, it was still absolutely stupid.  Lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Superduperman said:

So because TE is a hard position to transition from college to the NFL, no team should draft one in the top 10? 

Hock is going to be fine. Give it some time