The Spread Offense: The top 10 College Coaches who run this scheme

aceinthehouse

I believe we need a coach who runs the Spread Offense, for Haskins to succeed.

I think scheme is as much important for success, but also having that QB who's comfortable in that system.

I'm hoping the front office knows this & will look beyond the reaches & retreads in the NFL, to look in the college ranks to implement this system.

So without further ado, here is the top 10 College Coaches who need to be on our Target list.

10. KEVIN SUMLIN, ARIZONA

9. MIKE BOBO, COLORADO STATE

8. CHRIS PETERSEN, WASHINGTON

7. JASON CANDLE, TOLEDO

6. LANE KIFFIN, FLORIDA ATLANTIC

5. KLIFF KINGSBURY, TEXAS TECH

4. SCOTT FROST, NEBRASKA

3. URBAN MEYER, OHIO STATE

2. NICK SABAN, ALABAMA

1. CHIP KELLY, UCLA

So, I'm hoping we interview some of these guys, or at least pick their brain on this philosophy to better improve our team going forward.

Obviously, most will want to stay in College. But maybe we can entice just one, to coach the Washington Redskins.

11 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We need to get the best coach to help us win games, not just the best HC for the QB. If I’m the Redskins, I hire the head coach first, and let them hire the OC & DC, and let those guys run the schemes that the HC hired them to run.

Hopefully, we hire a GM 1st

But I see your point.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I’m sorry, do you have Chip Kelly #1?  I’ve seen that movie before, it is not good. 

And Kingsbury is listed as Texas Tech's coach.  I swear, I can't take a lot of this stuff seriously.  

Pedersen is the only realistic option.  Meyer and Saban won't give them the time of day, and the others on that list are not NFL head coach material.  

• Like 3

Chip Kelly might be an offensive "mastermind" but he doesn't know how to manage people or processes.  I will be the first to admit to the mastermind thing, as Navy brought him in a few years ago to install some spread concepts to work in their triple-option offense, and you've seen throughout this season the fruits of that labor (i.e. Malcolm Perry was 9/15 for over 150 yards against SMU.) . But he's taken a team that was borderline top 25 year in and year out in UCLA and torn down all of the progress that Jim Mora Jr made, and UCLA is once again losing at football.  Hell, he only writes offer letters on certain days of the week.  Sounds like he would be a great culture guy.  

Nick Saban listed as a spread guy?  That's laughable.  He's gotten people to come in and run that kind of offense for him.  Just like you are seeing this year in LSU with the work Joe Brady has done to bring their offense out of the stone age.  If you want to see what Saban's real offense looks like, watch Georgia.  Kirby has had Chaney and Coley run that same offense since he's been there.  

Lane Kiffin would be horrible for the culture, but at least it would be entertaining.  Mike Bobo and Scott Frost are on the hot seats for their job right now, and Kevin Sumlin took a Heisman candidate in Khalil Tate and has taken him off the map.  No thanks to just about all of these guys.  

• Like 1

I would put money on Urban Meyer being the guy.

A)He's already available 

B)He knows Haskins very well ala/Ohio St.

C) He's the splashy move Snyder knows he has to make, to revitalized the fanbase from their sleep.

In fact, would anyone be surprised if there wasn't already a handshake on this between the 2? (Snyder & Meyer)

9 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

A)He's already available 

C) He's the splashy move Snyder knows he has to make, to revitalized the fanbase from their sleep.

In fact, would anyone be surprised if there wasn't already a handshake on this between the 2? (Snyder & Meyer)

Dude. It was Ryan Day who put Haskins in position to be successful - same with Fields now - not Urban Meyer. 

Meyer is a zone read guy. When Meyer returned from his suspension last year the offense got worse when he changed what Ryan Day was doing with Haskins the first month of the season. Meyer tried to make Haskins run a zone read offense. I said this before when you or others suggested Meyer should be the HC but it must have been forgotten or ignored.

Then, after they saw that clearly wasn’t working they went back to running Ryan Day’s offense and the rest is history, they should’ve been in the college playoffs instead of he awful Notre Dame.

Edited by turtle28

9 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

A)He's already available 

Urban Meyer has a reported health condition that is serious (a cyst on the brain) where the stress of in-game coaching gives him almost debilitating migraines.  I don't think he's returning to coaching any time soon, but if he does, why deal with the stress of the Redskins?  He can go to USC or FSU and essentially have the Athletic Director reporting to him.  Or he could even be hired as an AD at this point.  Dude has nothing to prove by trying to fix the Redskins and tarnishing his legacy when he can't pull it off.  

The fact that we are talking about a splashy move to re-energize the fan base is on the right track, because that's what Dan usually wants to do, but it's not the way that this team is going to get better.  Until real change comes from the top down and the organization is in the hands of football people, nothing that he does matters.  If Urban does take the job and he doesn't have to report to anyone for three years, and Bruce is gone, then I might believe it.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

I want a coach who is able to adjust his scheme to the personnel.  I don't want to limit Haskins by saying he can only run the spread 3 games into his nfl career.

Sadly a lot of coaches have it in their mind that they have to run their system, no matter what.  The Ryans had the hubris to take a top 3-5 defensive unit in Buffalo as a 4-3 unit, and turn it over to a 3-4.  They lasted two years before being fired.  That's just one example, and there are many more.  It's rare to see that happen, and the coaches who allow it to happen are also the ones who have the most success- Belichick and John Harbaugh come to mind.