Emerging Threats

Hunter2_1

Which of these AFC threats concerned you the most?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. they came for our perch...

• Manning's Colts
    • Manning's Broncos
    • Flacco and Harbaugh's Ravens
    • Reid, Mahomes and the Chiefs
    • This current Ravens team

In order to become king, you have to usurp the current one. 

No one has actually managed it long term yet (we still here...), but we've had a number of legitimate threats that look to take the AFC crown which invariably belongs to us.

These weren't necessarily one-offs, they were developed teams with a plan and did, at some point, cause us issues.

Which one was/is the most concerning to you as a Pats fan?

14 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

"Flacco and Harbaugh's Ravens"

🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to put it in or not...but hey...they've the joint most wins against out of all of them :ph34r:

It was the Broncos for me, and either Mahome's Chiefs or this damned Ravens team.

4 hours ago, Dan_Bali said:

If the Broncos didn’t go through 754 QBs after Manning retired and also spent some 1st rnd  picks on o-lineman they would have been an elite team for 5+ years with their defense.

2016 they arguably had a better defense than 2015 but their QB was soo bad

4 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

nah they've peaked. looking forward to their "disappointing" one and done playoff exit.

When? When they smashed us, or when they smashed LA? 

I don't share your optimism - they are on record pace offensively, and that includes going against our D. We can beat them, we may even be favs in FoxTown, but boy they can exploit our weaknesses.

2 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I don't share your optimism - they are on record pace offensively, and that includes going against our D. We can beat them, we may even be favs in FoxTown, but boy they can exploit our weaknesses.

We will beat Baltimore if we play them in the playoffs. I guarantee it. You can book that.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

They have demolished terrible teams in three consecutive weeks. The Rams have some individual talent on both sides but they're in complete disarray. The Texans pass defense is atrocious and to compound things Bill O'Brien is their head coach still. The Bengals currently own the first overall pick. The Patriots were in position to go ahead before the stupid Edelman fumble for a TD.

As far as momentum, hype, and performance, the Ravens have peaked much like the Chiefs did in the first month of the season where every break seemed to go their way for touchdowns and huge plays.

The Patriots are getting healthy, they own the best record in the entire NFL, and like I have said all along, the offense will be borderline elite by the playoffs when the healthy guys all start to click into place.

Against the Seahawks the week before the Patriots, the Ravens couldn't convert on third downs and it took Russell Wilson throwing a slow duck of a pass against his body, across the field, ill-advised, without his feet set, into tight zone coverage for an easy walk-in pick six by Marcus Peters. Much like the Edelman fumble, that one big play is what gave the Ravens their momentum.

The Ravens appear to be a dangerous team after creating defensive touchdowns. Then again, that doesn't otherwise make them an inherently great team overall nor any different then the teams who produce scores defensively any other week. Like the Chiefs, the Ravens are riding a high right now. The Patriots are set to hit their stride with the return of all their offensive pieces and one would expect better coaching/game planning as well given their track record.

I know we had success against them but those Manning led Colts always scared me the most. No lead felt safe against them. Lotta speed on the D, Freeney and Mathis off the edges, they were a tough out at home. That 06 AFCCG still irks me till this day.

Edited by NMM11
  • Like 1

Wasn't overly concerned about any of them but I'd say Manning's Colts came the closest, followed by the Chiefs and Mahomes. Ravens D was always scary but I wasn't that concerned about the overall team. Current Raven's team beat us earlier, I know,  but I don't think they'll repeat that performance against us. I feel like if we can stop their gimicky misdirection plays and force their QB to pass we'd win... i know that's a tall order considering the way they ran it down our throats in that game but I think BB will figure it out in the next matchup.

14 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Wasn't overly concerned about any of them but I'd say Manning's Colts came the closest, followed by the Chiefs and Mahomes. Ravens D was always scary but I wasn't that concerned about the overall team. Current Raven's team beat us earlier, I know,  but I don't think they'll repeat that performance against us. I feel like if we can stop their gimicky misdirection plays and force their QB to pass we'd win... i know that's a tall order considering the way they ran it down our throats in that game but I think BB will figure it out in the next matchup.

That looked to be the plan in the firsdt game, and it almost worked in some ways. There were several batted balls and near-interceptions. A few lucky breaks go the other way and the game could have been different.